Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I wondering if anyone has had this issue or has any ideas about it?
Welcome to this forum. You will need to tell us more, Engine runs on ?, Model is a ?, year of making ?, Gears are what
? and so on. See my signate at bottom for an idea of what we need, to help you. Thanks

·
Registered
298 Posts
That is the timing chain rattle from the early 1.2 TSI engines.From 2009-late 2011 some poor quality chains were fitted which stretched with wear,at quite low mileages,and the tensioner couldn’t cope.The chain would ride high on the sprockets and cause the engine management light to come on.In some cases the chain did break and wrecked the engines,in others it cost about £700 to replace the chain with an upgraded one.VW in most cases behaved despicably in denying a problem they were responsible for! In about 2014 they abandoned production of these engines and made a new engine with a timing belt.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the timing chain rattle from the early 1.2 TSI engines.From 2009-late 2011 some poor quality chains were fitted which stretched with wear,at quite low mileages,and the tensioner couldn’t cope.The chain would ride high on the sprockets and cause the engine management light to come on.In some cases the chain did break and wrecked the engines,in others it cost about £700 to replace the chain with an upgraded one.VW in most cases behaved despicably in denying a problem they were responsible for! In about 2014 they abandoned production of these engines and made a new engine with a timing belt.
Hi Topgun,

Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. We are currently looking at 2500K+ for an engine replacement, do you know if there was much success with the upgraded chains?

·
Administrator
14,595 Posts
No doubt about VAG causing the chain problem, they told chain makers how much they would pay for chains. Because of this the manufacturers used dies longer than normal which meant if you got a chain from a new die it was good, if you got one when the die was getting older than normal you got a dud. It was not just with the Yeti.

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
What year is the car and how many miles has it covered?

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
Yeah that seems to be the general consensus. We are currently looking at 2500K+ for an engine replacement, do you know if there was much success with the upgraded chains?
Why are you looking at total engine replacement? What else is wrong with it? Or has it now progressed beyond just a rattling chain to a chain breakage and total catastrophic failure?

As Topgun said already, a replacement chain fitted should be around £700, or less from a non franchised independent garage. The main portion of which would be labour costs.
No reason why a new chain and sprockets, (a worn and rattling chain would likely have caused excess wear on both the camshaft and crank sprockets already), should not be good for at least another 77k miles or more. Even if the replacement was one of the badly manufactured chains.

Aside: interesting to read that my first guess to what engine type was pictured was correct, and what the noise most likely is. I did not want to comment earlier, as my direct experience with the 1.2 TSi is limited. So did not want to start a wrong direction.

Reactions: Urrell

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why are you looking at total engine replacement? What else is wrong with it? Or has it now progressed beyond just a rattling chain to a chain breakage and total catastrophic failure?

As Topgun said already, a replacement chain fitted should be around £700, or less from a non franchised independent garage. The main portion of which would be labour costs.
No reason why a new chain and sprockets, (a worn and rattling chain would likely have caused excess wear on both the camshaft and crank sprockets already), should not be good for at least another 77k miles or more. Even if the replacement was one of the badly manufactured chains.

Aside: interesting to read that my first guess to what engine type was pictured was correct, and what the noise most likely is. I did not want to comment earlier, as my direct experience with the 1.2 TSi is limited. So did not to start a wrong direction.
Just on the advice of the garage. To be fair, I’ve just driven it and it’s in constant limp mode with the epc light and a flashing engine warning light. I will chat to the garage and ask about the upgraded chain

·
Premium Member
5,866 Posts
Just on the advice of the garage. To be fair, I’ve just driven it and it’s in constant limp mode with the epc light and a flashing engine warning light.
As Flintstone says it's probably the chain causing that, no sense in paying 4 times as much for a new engine unless there is something else wrong with it.

·
Administrator
5,031 Posts
Worth checking out the fault codes that are causing the epc light and limp mode. They will give you ( and us) more indication of the nature of the problems.

·
Registered
47 Posts
. Has it just started ? Just a thought .Air con pulley Clutch ? is it the same when you put the air con on ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts