Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We live in a fairly remote area in Scotland so we have always had two vehicles in the family. By necessity, one has to be a 4 x 4 for bad road conditions, and mild off road use throughout the year. We were running with a Renault Kangoo and a Mitsubishi L200 pick-up. Main problemwas that my wife point blank refused to drive the L200 due to the size, rear vision etc. so when I wanted to use the Kangoo, she was stuck for transport.

After looking at various vehicles with 4 x 4 capability, I stumbled across various reviews and clips of the Yeti on You-tube. Weboth thought it looked exactly what we were looking for i.e. something not too big and clumsy, reasonably priced and economic to run, with reasonable off-road capability.

We decided against a new car due to the cost and extended delivery time, so spent a bit of time on the internet checking what fairly local dealers hadto offer in low mileage, recently registered vehicles.

We visited a dealer in Edinburgh who had three vehicles that we thought were worth considering so we visited them to inspect the cars.All were 2.0 diesels 4 x 4 and the first one we looked at was a silver 140BHP SE model with about 14K miles on the clock, but only a few months old. I asked the salesman for the history of the car because of the exceptional mileage. Turned out the previous owner was a Mr "Hertz" so we immediately discounted it.

The second vehicle on our list was a 170BHP Elegance in Black, which my wife instantly dismissed, as she absolutely did not want a black car.

That led us to the third vehicle which was a 110BHP Elegance owned by Skoda, registered in April and with only 4K miles on the clock. Exactly what we were looking for, except I was not keen on the lowest powered engine as I have always been a bit of a boy racer at heart. The salesman said myreservations would be easily solved - let's get it out on the road. I drove the car in a good variety of road conditions for the best part of an hour and was totally smitten. The engine had plenty of torque, was very quiet and the car was a delight to drive.

We arrived back at the garage and looked over the car in detail. Not a scratch or "Ding" in the paintwork and the interior full leather was unmarked. We were also impressed with the amount of "extras" the Elegance was fitted with, some standard and some added, including the rough road protection under the vehicle. We got down to haggling with the salesman and managed to get a Skoda removable tow bar thrown in as part of the deal.

We took delivery a few days later and have been amazed at the amount of technology on board - auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, auto dipping mirror, auto climate control, cruise control, blue tooth and a host of other helpful bits and bobs.

My wife loves the Yeti and has driven nothing else since we got it, so I now find myself having to make a "reservation" if I have need of the 4 x 4 facility. Perhaps we should have got two!

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, you are not the first to have to book a "timed ticket" to use their Yeti. The weather forecast suggest you may be putting it to the test fairly early on. Just a couple of things to keep in mind. In very low temperatures a 4x2 on winter tyres is more capable than a 4x4 on summer tyres, and the Yeti has a Haldex system which senses when the front wheel slip and then delivers power to the wheels with the most grip, basically that means when you feel the front wheels start to loose their grip do not back off or the power to the rear wheels will not happen. You also have an Off Road button which brings in all sorts of electronics and is worth reading about in the handbook.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and thanks for the welcome and advice.

It is in fact snowing outside tonight at this very moment.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi and welcome to the yeti club, I had the 110 and never found it lacking in power, have the 110 FL now and although it has only done 100 miles since picking it up friday night I think it has more go than the old one, as the Hood posted above the tyres play a key roll in getting about in the snow, I didn't want two sets of wheels for mine so went for the Goodyear 4season tyres, and they have kept me moving all year round.

Hope you have many trouble free miles in your new toy (or the wife), the ex Skoda models are a usually very well spect up and looked after.

Wait till after the festive season then suggest changing the other car, as you never get to have a go in the yeti

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Hi Slaphead and welcome.
Slaphead said:
We took delivery a few days later and have been amazed at the amount of technology on board - auto windscreen wipers, auto lights, auto dipping mirror, auto climate control, cruise control, blue tooth and a host of other helpful bits and bobs.
You have only just scratched the surface. It's what you don't see that really is amazing.

Slaphead said:
My wife loves the Yeti and has driven nothing else since we got it, so I now find myself having to make a "reservation" if I have need of the 4 x 4 facility. Perhaps we should have got two!
This has happened to a lot of us. Just surrender...it's useless trying to fight it. Just call it "her" car and be happy with that. Buy a second one for a happy marriage

See:http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/it-used-to-be-my-yeti_topic1040.html

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
5,137 Posts
Welcome to the forum Slaphead.

You've made a good choice with the Yeti and by the sound of it will be using it's capabilities as a Snow Monster. Hope you get a drive soon!

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sounds like you got a good buy there slaphead.
Nice to hear the 110 has plenty of torque - I'm seriously considering buying one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts