Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My month old Yeti decided to have a nap on the Euston Road, London in rush hour yesterday.It displayed the EPC (Electronic Power Control) and TCS (Traction Control System) lights. The car limped to the side of the road and round a corner with very little power. As I thought it was a computer problem I switched the engine off and back on again and it worked

Spoke to my Yeti dealer who said if it happens again to call out Skoda Assist who can do a roadside diagnostic check.

It hasn't happened to my beloved Lexi since but has anyone else had this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Oh dear...here we go again. Another VW design/manufacturing hiccup. Yes sa1gon I also have had this problem and I was hoping it was just me but this little annoyance seems to be getting more and more common amongst 1.2 TSI owners.
While recently returning from a trip we pulled off the motorway into a rest area to use the facilities. The vehicle was parked for about 10 minutes. When the motor was restarted both the engine management and the traction control lamps lit up. We proceeded to drive off and the lamps went out immediately. Fortunately the engine did not go into "limp mode".
Here is the story I have managed to piece together so far from various sources. The 1.2 TSI seems to have an issue with the spark plug leads "breaking down" under high heat soak conditions. Most reports I have seen seem to implicate lead #3, but I have also seen reports of lead #1 being troublesome. The answer to the problem is simple, replace the ignition lead. Some dealers are doing this under warranty, as they should, but they are only replacing the offending lead, not the whole set. I have also seen accounts of spark plugs being replaced at the same time. The lead sets are common to CBZB, CAXA, CDAA and CDAB (1.8 and 1.4 TSI)
engines, but I have not seen any complaints from any of those
drivers yet.
However, I would NOT rule out a possibility that a coil pack may be involved. It seems to be a new issue or one that the powers-to-be are not making public. As a matter of interest there have been 3 revisions/updates to the ignition leads with the last revision being released on 22/10/2012. I have read that this revision includes extra heat shielding to the leads but cannot confirm this yet. Nor can I confirm if it actually fixes the problem.
You will have to return to the dealer to see what they say as they will probably need to run a diagnostics check. I am not too concerned about my vehicle at the moment as I am now aware of the problem and it's possible causes, but I will mention the problem when I get my vehicle serviced. I now carry a spare set of plugs (NGK IZFR6P7) and a spare lead set (Tesla Copper Core) in the back, just in case.
I would like to hear how it works out for you. Good luck.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If it were me I would go along to the dealer and ask him to plug in his laptop to see if there are any error codes. If you are near someone with VCDS they could scan it for you in a few minutes. You don't say where you are, if you just give a county you may strike it lucky.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RAC came out to Yeti this afternoon, run diagnostics and came up with error code 1314 - Engine Control Unit - advised to get Dealer to check also and correct.

Will update after dealership visit!

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
That error code seems to be associated with misfiring. I will await your update for the final outcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Yeti 1.2 Urban is 15 months old and not a single complaint until yesterday, when on the motorway I seemed to have reduced power and the EPC light came on. I pulled onto the hard shoulder, followed almost immediately by the 'Special Highway Patrol, (thanks guys!). After a consultation of the manual, we decided it might reset, so they accompanied me for a mile or two, during which I had no problems and managed to get home. However, I have lost a bit of confidence in the vehicle (felt things weren't 'quite right for several miles before, but no warning lights), and now got it booked in for the dealer to look at tomorrow.."...

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
You did the right thing by getting the dealer to take a look. They will clear the error code and replace the H/T lead, probably #3 lead. It usually is this one. If it does it again then turn the motor off then restart to get it out of limp home mode. It's an annoyance that Skoda know about and is caused by the H/T leads breaking down and earthing due to heat from the exhaust shield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EPC warning light came on and associated loss of power at Dartford Crossing. Recovered to home by RAC. When engine started at home the light extinguished. Car ran fine yesterday and today but booked in to local Skoda garage for check up tomorrow. I have copied out your comments re leads and coil to give to the garage. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello,
I have a Skoda yeti 1.2 TSI, 2011 production.
Recently I got TCS warning light on very often. When the warning light get on , I switch off the engine and start again. Then the warning light get off.
It has happened once in 2 days.

Please can you assist with any recommendation from your experience.

thanx

·
Administrator
4,429 Posts
TCS light on means that the Traction Control System is deactivated so you need to drive with more caution when it's lit. Diagnose why it comes on is difficult as it can a number of things. Have you had a dealer/garage check for error codes?
Any other symptoms such as misfiring engine, CV joints noisy? 1.2tsihas known problem with the HV leadsand they were modified in later models as one (lead 3 I think) is routed too close to the exhaust manifold and the heat causes an internal breakdown of the lead. Later sets had some heat protection fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not gone yet to service center, the periodic service is on december.
I have not observed anything else. The only thing is that rear tyres are more consumed that front tyres. I do not know whether this can influence on tcs warning.

·
Administrator
4,429 Posts
Bnes - No the rear tyre wear shouldn't be affecting the TCS. I assume that at some time the better tyres were put on the front drive wheels.
ydoasktie - yes OBD2 works with a Yeti.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have replaced HV leads around 1 year ago with new model which have a cover against the heat.Probably is something else which causes TCS warning.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
If you still have the old leads (I never throw anything away!) you could try using the old No4 lead in the No3 position and see if anything changes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Skoda Yeti 1.2 Tsi failed last night on the fast lane of a highway. The EPC light and engine light and all the other yellow lights came on. I could only get 1000 rpm and limped in great danger across 3 lanes. it had a 120K service 2 weeks ago. I had replaced the plugs, harness and coils a month prior. I had a tow to the nearest garage, where I left the car. 2 hours later I went back to the car and started it. It ran ok except the engine light remained on. I took it to a safer parking area for the night. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts