Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yeti is parked overnight on the drive and now that the frosty nights have commenced in earnest I am noticing excessive condensation on the interior windscreen, rear screen and windows.So much so that it has began freezing the inside of the glass as well as the outside.
Given that the temperatures are still relatively mild for Winter I am concerned as I have not experienced this to the same degree with previous cars I have owned.
Are any other owners experiencing the same ? I would be grateful for any tips on how to alleviate this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi do you have the rubber boot liner? , if not have you had any wet boots coats or alike in the boot which could have made the boot mat wet and cause it.

If not lift the boot mat and see if you have any water under it, could be a leak on the tail gate or badly fitted side rear window, alsocheckthe rear foot well mats wet boots can make them very wet. I have textile mats for summer (when we get a summer that is) and rubber for the winter to stop the mats getting to soggy.

The only way to help dry it out is to put the heater up high and the air con on to dry the incoming air, and open the windows slightly to help let the damp air out as well.

Also there was one or two that had the drain from the air con fittedincorrectly and made the front mats wet.

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks wakev, I have the rubber boot liner and mats fitted and have checked under these but everything seems ok.I will examine window fittings and have the a/c drain checked out as you have suggested.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi.
Are you doing only short journeys? Might need a longer run/quick blast?
Only ever experienced this in a Renault Clio with a pop-up sunshine roof which never quite sealed-or my old VW camper-which if it stood for more than a couple of days just got damp inside-but there were no signs of leaks....
Hope this helps.
S/C

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks derwentyeti and scarecrow. I have checked the drainage at the wipers and it looks okay.It is fair to say at present I am only doing short journeys to and from work with roughly 30-40 mile run outs at weekends which is probably not long enough to give it a good dry out.
Still cannot get to the root cause though and from the comments so far it doesn't seem to be a common problem......

·
Registered
290 Posts
Put 1 kilo of rice in a plastic container without a lid on somewhere it won't tip over.In a week all the condensation will have gone.
Then as a bonus, you can heat up the rice in a microwave and eat it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
An idea with rice seams fine.
But, you could try with something better. There is something you can buy (I don't know in English, but I'll try to describe). It's a plastic box wirh something that looks like white stone peaces. People use it to dry wet rooms, bathrooms and basements. Every now and than check it out - if there is some mist in your car, you'll find some
water drips in this box. Keep it in your car for a while to dry it properly. Make sure your windows are closed not to let wet air in. Dry your car this way about 4-5 days. When you drive in wet and cold conditions, make sure your car is properly airconditioned. (Sorry about my English - I'm Croatian). If your problem happens again, than take your car to the dealer. Hope this helps. Regards. Jazz.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm glad that someone else has noticed the condensation issue as I too have it. My daily journey is 15 miles each way and in the morning and evening I have quite bad condensation on the windscreen. Having said that, do does our Yaris although it's quicker to clear and the heater heats quicker than the Yeti.

What's the best way to clear it? I use the MAX windscreen setting with AC on. Should the temp be set to cold or hot? I appreciate that the heat won't be max until the car has run for a bit.

Thanks,

Stephen

·
Registered
38 Posts
i too have this problem on a new yeti urban. i think its caused by not being able to shut the vents that bleed cool air into the system. on older cars if you turned the heat control to MAX when you left the car at night this closed off access to outside air. this i believe is not possible in the yeti thanks to modern tschnology but i stand to be corrected.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes I experience this problem and it is very annoying. I have been driving since 1964 and never experience this in any other car have owned.

·
Administrator
4,447 Posts
milwaukee said:
Yes I experience this problem and it is very annoying. I have been driving since 1964 and never experience this in any other car have owned.
Welcome to the forum Milwaukee.
. You have woken a very old thread here, so are we to suppose that you have a yeti of the same vintage 2012 or earlier? If you have a sunroof the drainage tubes have been known to get blocked resulting in water getting into the front passenger footwell so raising the moisture level in the car.Discosteve is still active, and he was one of those that shared the same problem, so maybe he can tell you if he found any cause or solution.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'd be interested in any solution. Mine has condensation inside on the windscreen whenever it's been cold overnight. I run with the aircon on all the time and there are no apparent leaks in windows or sunroof seals My previous car (Freelander 2) had exactly the same usage pattern and yet never suffered with this problem. Very strange. The last car I had with this fault was a Mini back in the 1980s! That leaked like a sieve.
Edited by: rjc1944

·
Premium Member
5,222 Posts
rjc1944 said:
Mine has condensation inside on the windscreen whenever it's been cold overnight. I run with the aircon on all the time and there are no apparent leaks in windows or sunroof seals
There must be a leak somewhere, especially running with air-con all the time.
Moisture has to come from somewhere, it's not magic.

·
Administrator
13,116 Posts
Mine is the same, I frequently have to stop a few hundred yards down the road and scrape the inside of the screen on a cold morning around 5 a.m. and mine does not leak. There will always be moisture in the air, even using the aircon all the time will be undone to a certain degree when the door is opened and closed. The size and angle of the windscreen probably don't help and the problem is exacerbated by the length of time a diesel takes to warm up. The Yeti is a car that needs a heated front screen as standard.

·
Registered
442 Posts
When inside the car is warm, say when you arrive home or at work, spend 2 mins with a piece of cotton cloth and put some washing up liguid on the cloth about a level teaspoon no more, then rub the detergent over the glass inside he car front window side ones etc- do it when the glass is dry so it does not froth up, the detergent dryies on the glass and prevents the water in the atmosphere from condensing on the glass, it will last about 2 to 3 days then do it again when the inside is warm and the glass is clear.

Used this method for years back in the 1960's in my mini and it worked great at no cost.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The only time I have ever experienced condensation inside the car is when I have inadvertently switched the air conditioning to recirculate the air rather that drawing in fresh air to the heater ( sorry I don't know the right terminology) but I'm sure you know what I mean .

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
Kitty litter works well and is cheap!

·
Premium Member
3,445 Posts
Rain X is good too but don't use it on the outside of the windscreen as it smears dangerously.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts