Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,I have a 2010 Yeti 1800 turbo 4x4. 24,000 miles.
I bought this car around 7 months ago and since then I've had to to up the oil twice, each time with a litre of oil.
Is this normal, or will I need to get it checked out at a garage.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
I'm not sure I'm getting this right?
You've used 1 litre of oil every 12,000 miles.

Or do you mean something else?

We need a lot more facts.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've just been reading a query in 'Auto Express' (Issue 1293-Winter Special) where someone with atwo year-old Skoda Octavia with a 2.0 litre petrol engine and only 8000 miles on the clock has started using "a fair bit of oil, at the rate of around a litre every 2000 miles" and wanted to know if this was normal.
The answer (which surprised me a bit) was that according to online forums, this level of consumption appears to be common on this particular Volkswagen Group engine!But if it gets worse and blue smoke is emitted from the exhaust, its time to visit your local garage!!

That last bit sounds obvious; is the Pope Catholic and all that?;but I don't know if the former consumption information is relevant to you or not. My Yeti isa 2.0 Diesel and I have never had to top upthe oil that much between 10000 mile service intervals. I think in the 3.5yrs and49500 miles of ownership from new, I have probably used 2-3 litres of top-up oil. However, I also don't know how diesel and petrol engines comparein oil consumption figures, so this may not help at all!!! Sorry if it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Stewbidoo said:
I've just been reading a query in 'Auto Express' (Issue 1293-Winter Special) where someone with atwo year-old Skoda Octavia with a 2.0 litre petrol engine and only 8000 miles on the clock has started using "a fair bit of oil, at the rate of around a litre every 2000 miles" and wanted to know if this was normal.
No, that is excessive for a passenger vehicle.

The answer (which surprised me a bit) was that according to online forums, this level of consumption appears to be common on this particular Volkswagen Group engine!
Usually common to owners of petrol vehicles who follow the recommended factory break-in procedures. Although...on early 1.2 litre models there were problems with the piston rings with an "updated" set (with a modified surface coating I believe) being used from November 2011. I don't know if other petrol engines were likewise affected.

But if it gets worse and blue smoke is emitted from the exhaust, its time to visit your local garage!!
Yep, time for some new rings and a £1500 bill.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
760 Posts
big_scotty said:
Hi,I have a 2010 Yeti 1800 turbo 4x4. 24,000 miles.
I bought this car around 7 months ago and since then I've had to to up the oil twice, each time with a litre of oil.
Is this normal, or will I need to get it checked out at a garage.
Hi Scotty, I have a 2012 1.8TSI and recently completed a road trip from Perth Western Australia to Mansfield in country Victoria, a round trip of 8111km or approx 5000miles and used about a teacup of oil.
I do hope this helps.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have just trading in my Octavia 1.9 for a Yeti. I had the Octavia for 5.5 years and rarely put any oil in between services and when I did it was only a tablespoon or do. I would be worried by larger usage.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've had a Fabia vRS for 10 years, serviced every year and never had to put 1 drop of oil in it between services, it simply doesn't use any. Did 73K in another Fabia diesel and never had to put a drop in that either.Seems odd that some manufacturers consider quite a high level of usage as "normal". It's not as tho' the stuff is cheap.
High oil usage would concern me also.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey pps, I'm trying to find out about Skoda/VW 1800cc petrol engines in general. Certain engines will go thru more or less oil that usual.Thanks empcom your info was useful.The car was low mileage, when I bought it, from a woman. Possibly not run in properly. Will get it checked out by a mechanic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts