Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the car for two weeks and covered 730 miles. No oil burnt and so far an average of 48 mpg according to the maxidot. One thing I have noticed is that if I use the max defrost first thing in the morning there is a strong smell of exhaust fumes for a minute or so. Has anyone else noticed this, if it were a petrol model I would get a rosey complection and start to fell sleepy, with a diesel is it the same or will I just get covered in soot smuts. Seriously though, has anyone else noticed fumes?

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
Only if I reverse as soon as I start the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
You can get the fumes when you reverse if you have the fans on max, but it will only be a short blast because the heater will go into recirculation mode when you select reverse, on both of my yetis you could hear the blowers tone change

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi I reverse up my drive so that I just drive straight off in the morning. Turn key start engine, press maxde-mist = fumes then drive of. I have also had the fumes when staionary in traffic.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you used "the automatic air distribution" control, if your vehicle is so equipped. This feature means that the air coming into the car is stopped if pollution/contaminants are sensed. It reverts to normal automtically, when it no longer senses them. This is always set in my car; but of course I had to turn it on first time!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I also use the auto air setting so may stop the problem, have you looked under the bonnet there was a few yetis that had the clamp on the turbo come undone although that problem caused a rattle may be worth a look, as the air for the heater is drawn from the front lower windscreen area, or the pollen filter cover not fitted correctly.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. Yes when I used the max demist it was set on max demist, auto, AC, 20 degrees. At three weeks old with 800 miles on the clock I hope nothing has come loose.The stramge thing is that is does not happen everytime, and when it does the car has not been running for long, I wonder if I need to let the engine run for a few seconds before turning it on.I am off work on Monday and will have a look whilst there is some daylight.

·
Administrator
4,438 Posts
I am just considering buying a Yeti and saw this post so joined the forum in anticipation of a new car soon and I may have the reason for your fumes.
Are you sure they are exhaust fumes or do they just smell as though they are? The reason I ask is that there has been very similar experiences with the Touran (my current vehicle) which are all down to the Auxillary Heater. This is only really activated when it's cold enough and you reported the problem when the weather was certainly cold. As I read in the Yeti Owners manual there are references to Auxillary Heaters it may be the same thing as they are fitted to diesels ( not sure about to the TSIs)

The Auxillary Heater on the Touran is an external heater fitted on the left hand side of the engine and has its own exhaust just under the passenger door so the fumes are worst on that side. It uses fuel to provide pre heating and thus the burning of this can lead to fumes. Look up Webasto and VWon the net and you'll find a lot more examples of this problem.

With the Touran you could put the Air Con on Econ which turned the Aux Heater off and some people found the problem worse when they had a fuel tank less than half full.

Hope that helps as it may not be as serious a problem as may be feared or at least has an explaination.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi I have just had a scramble under the car and as suspected I do not have an auxiliary heater, I also do not have the appropriate control button on the dash.I think when I am next at home during daylight I shall have a play with a carbon monoxide and a carbon dioxidedetector. If I am deafened upon starting up the demist max I shall go and demonstrate to a dealer.

·
Administrator
4,438 Posts
Sorry,no intention to makeyou crawl under your car on a dark night! Hope that you get it sorted.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One bonus from looking under my car is that I appear to have the rough road package fitted. That came as a suprise as I did not order or pay for it.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Despite mentioning the above to the dealer at least three times, it recently came to head. A couple of weeks after its second service and mebeing sent a video link stating the car had passed all safety checks, I ended up driving home with all four windows open and feeling very unwell. The area surrounding the turbo joint just below the cabin air intake was covered with soot. At 1700 I called Skoda assist, 1725 there was a man in a van at the end of my drive. 1900 a private hire car arrived to take me to pick up a loan car from a rental company. The next morning my car was taken away. The car was fitted with a replacement clamp (fixing bolt head uppermost), and the hire car left at the dealer. I cannot fault Skoda Assist they were exemplary in all they did, but they really could improve on dealers,but in spite of all this the fumes still come in when reversing.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The Hood said:
I cannot fault Skoda Assist they were exemplary in all they did.

We had to use Skoda Assist a few weeks ago. We were away on our hols at a static caravan park and my son somehow manage to lock the car with with the rear passenger door open. When we tried to close the door it wouldn't shut. The lock mechanism was 'locked' preventing the catch from latching onto the metal hook. We tried EVERYTHING with no luck so in the end I remembered the little Skoda Assist sticker in the windscreen. I gave them a call and told them the problem. They were going to send someone out but before they did they put me on to their technical department where a very knowledge chap talked me though the procedure to fix the issue. The only combination of things we didn't do was to pull the door handle and flick the catch in the door. This worked and we were able to carry on holidaying!!!

So again, first class service. Glad your issue was resolved Hoody!

·
Premium Member
4,729 Posts
The Hood said:
Despite mentioning the above to the dealer at least three times, it recently came to head. A couple of weeks after its second service and mebeing sent a video link stating the car had passed all safety checks, I ended up driving home with all four windows open and feeling very unwell. The area surrounding the turbo joint just below the cabin air intake was covered with soot. At 1700 I called Skoda assist, 1725 there was a man in a van at the end of my drive. 1900 a private hire car arrived to take me to pick up a loan car from a rental company. The next morning my car was taken away. The car was fitted with a replacement clamp (fixing bolt head uppermost), and the hire car left at the dealer. I cannot fault Skoda Assist they were exemplary in all they did, but they really could improve on dealers,but in spite of all this the fumes still come in when reversing.

I sometimes get a slight exhaust smell when in reverse, but I would expect that as I am reversing into an "exhaust cloud". Doesn't the car go into "re-circulate" mode when you engage reverse gear?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Had the same when reversing our ex Vitara....a real 'orrible smell, rotten egg like. Still that's history now.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
It will go into re-circulation mode but you can still get a bit come through before it reacts.

·
Administrator
13,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is the only car that I have had that suffers exhaust fumes in the cab. The previous ones were parked and driven in the same way without any problems. They enter the cab in the morning when driven away forwards and within six feet of travel when reversing. I suspect that the engine under tray acts as a scoop and the under bonnet inlet for the cab funnels them inside, I wonder if the air inlet will be relocated in the next version of the Yeti.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts