Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone got a view on the Skoda extended warranty? I'm considering extending from 3 to 5 years for piece of mind, but not sure. Comments gratefully recieved

·
Registered
828 Posts
Afraid not as our car is only 2 1/2 years old. But Iam also interested in an y views or info.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I received 2 years extended warranty when I purchased our vehicle, but have a year and a half before it comes into play. It was thrown in for free by Skoda Oz as a sales promotion and includes Skoda Assist. I really don't think I will really need it but it's biggest plus is it offers a greater sense of security to myself and my wife. A lot of country roads here are a long way from help if you are relying on your own resources if help is needed. The fact that I can ring a national number and get them to send someone out is very reassuring. Even changing a flat tyre is a struggle for the both of us these days so if the day comes when I have to change one I may need some help then.
My vehicle is a December 2011 build so I have not been affected by any recalls...yet, so I probably view the extended warranty as a plus from a peace of mind standpoint rather than a reliability standpoint. Even though it was a "free" gift I do not undervalue what it could mean to us.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
162 Posts
Depends on how you feel about "peace of mind" and how reliable you think the car is.
Price is a factor too

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yeti-ahoy! said:
Has anyone got a view on the Skoda extended warranty? I'm considering extending from 3 to 5 years for piece of mind, but not sure. Comments gratefully recieved
It's mostly about piece of mind and your attitude to risk but have a think on ththe items below:
Firstly if you get any warranty it must be as comprehensive as possible, this appears to be so.
If your mileage is very low it seems less good value.
Warranties are partly used as a device by manufacturers to tie you in to their dealer network. Plus if you do have a covered problem - you will feel less harshly about your product/manufacturer!
Remember that you are more likely to claim on years 4 & 5 than the 1st 3 years.
Before purchasing any warranties ensure that you have not done anything already that would invalidate any future claims. EG. Un ahthorised modifications to car or missed services/late services out side manufacturer paramaters.
It is unlikely to cover wear & tear items.
If you hydraulic the engine through going through a large puddle/flood - you will not be covered.
You could put the cost of the warranty away in a bank account and hope to cover any problems with that.
It's all still your choice though.
Sorry if post is a bit lengthy - but T&Cs for these products must be read prior to purchase - never make assumptions!
As you may have guessed I have worked in the past for a manufacturer's new & used warranty dept!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the useful thoughts and advice. Not sure what I'll do yet but certainly some helpful things to consider.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts