Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife while sitting on the back seat of our 2017 1.2 SE drive said that the ride in the back while on a road with a bad surface was very bumpy and not comfortable.
Any comments?

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
629 Posts
Yes,

The only downside to the yeti for me is the ride is a little firm.

The 2.0TDi 4x4 I have now seems a bit better than the 1.2TSi's I had before, probably down to extra weight / distribution.

I never have the rear tyres pressures any higher than the recommended minimum and the current CrossClimate 2's are a little softer than the previous Primacy 3's

·
Registered
642 Posts
It is firm, to be fair, but I do find my diesel 4x4 on cross climates better than the 1.2 on pirellis I used recently.
For me it is acceptable as a ride handling compromise, but the roads around me aren't too bad (except the speed bumps), and I do drive enthusiastically.

Reactions: Ruari

·
Administrator
16,376 Posts
Depending on what you are prepared to spend, I get a much better ride on my winter wheels. They are fitted with 215/60/16 tyres, the extra air between the rim and road makes a lot of difference, roadholding is unaffected. I got a set of Audi wheels on eBay, collect only items generally go for a lower price.

·
Registered
2016, Yeti SE L, 1.2 dsg. Quartz Grey, black roof, Gobi Sand
20 Posts
So far, Yeti is fine around town, fine on dual carriageway, but get it on twisty, country roads and it’s very lacking. Very soft, to the point of thinking the tyres are under inflated, wallows a lot, not impressed - not firm enough in my opinion.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
get it on twisty, country roads and it’s very lacking. Very soft, to the point of thinking the tyres are under inflated, wallows a lot,
Something wrong there, the Yeti is known to have excellent roadholding despite it's size.
Mine is outstanding with next to no roll at all.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SE L 2.0TDi 150 4x4 Manual
7,449 Posts
get it on twisty, country roads and it’s very lacking. Very soft, to the point of thinking the tyres are under inflated, wallows a lot, not impressed - not firm enough in my opinion.
Having driven both my Yetis back to back on country and moorland roads today, after putting the 2017 car onto its 16" winter wheels & tyres yesterday, then I can only agree with Urrell - something definitely sounds wrong, if that statement above is correct?

What tyre pressures are you running?

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
20 Posts
I put the front tyres at 34 psi and rears 32 psi on Friday, ready for the cooler temperature from today onwards.

Been driving a Range Rover with magna-ride suspension for the last 6 year. That was more of a go-cart than my Yeti. The yeti currently feels like a soap dish on a large choppy puddle.

I’ve removed the aero foil shaped roof bars, maybe they were producing ‘lift’, doubt it.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,023 Posts
The yeti currently feels like a soap dish on a large choppy puddle.
What tyres does it have on?
If they are OK you definitely have something seriously wrong with the suspension.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Think I’ll get it on the ramp and looked over, something must be a miss.

Tyres are Falkens, not my brand choice but previous owner recently fitted them.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
I put the front tyres at 34 psi and rears 32 psi on Friday, ready for the cooler temperature from today onwards.
Not quite sure why you would want to reduce pressure for colder conditions? Unless you were needing to drive the next 5 miles in 6 to 10 inch deep soft snow? Or are you perhaps trying to promote increased tyre carcase temperature through running marginally under-inflated?

34/32 sound like the minimal load minimum pressures. Try 2.5 bar / 36 psi all round, then see if that makes a difference to handling? It should sharpen things up enough to be noticeable. Unless you have a damper problem or other suspension issues such as The Hood speculated?

Falkens can be quite good tyres. Depends a lot on which model of Falken we are talking about? Had some Falken Ziex somethings on a Renault a few years ago. Better than Chinese ditchfinders, but I wouldn't choose them again.

·
Premium Member
2,109 Posts

Been driving a Range Rover with magna-ride suspension for the last 6 year. That was more of a go-cart than my Yeti. The yeti currently feels like a soap dish on a large choppy puddle.

I’ve removed the aero foil shaped roof bars, maybe they were producing ‘lift’, doubt it.
Almost certain something is wrong with it.
I drive mainly twisty roads and with roof bars on.
Sticks to the road like glue even hard into and out of corners.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Almost certain something is wrong with it.
I drive mainly twisty roads and with roof bars on.
Sticks to the road like glue even hard into and out of corners.
What brand tyres are fitted?
It’s not the suspension, anti roll bar bushes. Crap tyres to blame, false economy fitting rubbish.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Had to explain that to the (non-Skoda) dealer where I found my current 2017 Yeti. Google "Triangle" tyres? I started off calling them "ditchfinders". After driving on them in the wet I changed my mind to "widowmakers"! https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Triangle/TR968.htm
What did you fit instead? Was it ‘transformational’?

The Range Rover came with continentals, very good, then I put 2 sets of Avon ZV7s which had good supportive walls, wear, noise etc, etc good for 30000+ miles on 4wd.

Falkens are garbage, previous owner must’ve been clueless.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
5,874 Posts
Falkens are garbage, previous owner must’ve been clueless.
Well our resident tyre expert has a different opinion (see #13), and my local tyre dealer says they aren't that bad for a mid-range tyre.

·
Premium Member
7,449 Posts
What did you fit instead? Was it ‘transformational’?
Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 K117. I paid for 2. Dealer paid for 2. Transformational? - Yes! Definitely and markedly.
Not my first choice. That would have been Kumho Ecsta HS51. Dealer could source the Hankooks but not the Kumhos though. So a compromise was struck. They'll do fine for now as summer tyres.
Actually they are off the car already and into my winter store shed, till next spring. My existing 16" wheels with Toyo Snowpro winter tyres are on the car, ready for the coming wet and cold conditions.

Regarding the Falkens - there are Falkens and then there are Falkens. the different ranges are not all the same by any means. E.G.
Falken Sincera = economy
Falken Ziex = mid range
Falken Azenis = performance
Different horses for different courses? You pays your money and takes your pick.
Apart from that I'd agree with Graham.

P.S. Still wondering why you would reduce the tyre pressures for UK winter levels of cold on tarmac at least? What's the logic there? Have I missed something?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts