Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Just had a test drive in a Yeti (which we liked a lot) but found the leather seats very firm to the point that I was hobbling a little when I got out of the car. The squab seemed overly firm, at least to me. Admittedly I do have a sciatic nerve problem, which obviously isn't the cars fault - has anyone else had a similar issue with the Yeti's seats? If so have you used a car seat cushion (there seem to be many on the market) to get around the problem?

Would really like to buy the Yeti but it would be daft to do so if I can't get comfortable. Had a similar problem with a Tiguan I drove of late and also a mk 3 Golf I once owned. Have test driven a few of the Yeti's competitors of late (Kuga, Quasqui, Tiguan, RAV4, Hyundai Ix35) and much preferred the Skoda to any of them (Kuga a good second) for its drivability, practicality, looks, and definitely build quality (maybe the Tiguan was a poor example of the marque). But the seats in the Kuga and Quasqui suited my frame better. Seat comfort is obviously a personal thing as we're all different shapes.

To repeat would much prefer to buy the Yeti if I can get around the seat issue. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum. The seats vary between trim levels so if the leather ones don't suit you try and get a test drive in one without leather seats or one with Alcantara. Some Yeti have electric seats which give more adjustment, and the adjustment is programmed to individual keys and move to the settings for whichever key is being used.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Welcome :)
The seats are on the firm side to my mind, though I've only had the leather in the two Yetis. Being leather chances are they are heated as well. Was it the back or the squab that you found uncomfortable? As The Hood says try an alternative type of seat or try a suitable cushion.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum. The seats vary between trim levels so if the leather ones don't suit you try and get a test drive in one without leather seats or one with Alcantara. Some Yeti have electric seats which give more adjustment, and the adjustment is programmed to individual keys and move to the settings for whichever key is being used.
Have sat in a Yeti with cloth seats - seemed the same amount of firmness. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome :)
The seats are on the firm side to my mind, though I've only had the leather in the two Yetis. Being leather chances are they are heated as well. Was it the back or the squab that you found uncomfortable? As The Hood says try an alternative type of seat or try a suitable cushion.
The squab. Its always the squab that causes my leg to go numb on whatever seat that doesn't suit me. The problem really isn't the seats its my dodgy sciatic nerve. I've no problems with the seats in my Ford Focus C Max, just tend to be in VW group products - at least the ones I've tried.

Am taking a cushion with me today for my extended test drive. Not sure I'm wise buying a car that I need a cushion to get comfortable with tho! As much as I like the vehicle. I might be better off (comfort wise) with a Kuga tho I do prefer the Yeti as a car.

Thank you for the link and your help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Can you alter the squab inclination it might just be the front edge pressing hard. If it is and you can't alter ( it only on electric?) a wedge cushion seat might help

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Can you alter the squab inclination it might just be the front edge pressing hard. If it is and you can't alter ( it only on electric?) a wedge cushion seat might help
Did try that on my second drive but its really that the squab is too hard and flat for me. Also tried a cushion from Halfords plus another but they didn't suit me, am sure there are seat cushions out there that would do the job but I can't afford to take that risk. I need to get my sciatic nerve problem sorted before I spend money on a car. Theres no point in having a car I really enjoy driving only to be uncomfortable doing so. My partner had no problem and found the seats comfortable so its really 'me' and not the seat.

Thank you all for your time and trouble in helping me out - its much appreciated. The kindness of strangers... :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to worry not hidden hidden dangers only personal dislikes which one does not pickup on a test drive one being Dial lights going out on start up to tell you its dark and you have not got your lights on. I was in my garage think the guy that programmed that in was on his last day.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
I quite understand you being concerned about the seat, due to a spinal injury I tried every make of car before getting the Yeti. I bought the driver's seat and the Yeti just happened to be attached to it. No matter how good the car is, if the seat causes discomfort walk away.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just another point that could contribute is the Gas pedal I detest. with conventional I can choose my heel base with this one the pedal dictates.Need not take a big variation in ones joint movements to affect some

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
with conventional I can choose my heel base with this one the pedal dictates.
Only if you have to drive with foot at the same angle as accelerator pedal, I drive with heel about 4 inches to the left of it with foot naturally at about 45 degrees.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did walk away - sadly. Have driven Honda CRV and a Suzuki Grand Vitara since. Same problem with the seats - the squabs are to hard, for me at least.
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I quite understand you being concerned about the seat, due to a spinal injury I tried every make of car before getting the Yeti. I bought the driver's seat and the Yeti just happened to be attached to it. No matter how good the car is, if the seat causes discomfort walk away.
I did walk away - sadly. Have driven Honda CRV and a Suzuki Grand Vitara since. Same problem with the seats - the squabs are to hard, for me at least.
Thanks for your input.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
I suppose if you cannot find any make of car with a comfortable seat and have to have a car, it might as well be a Yeti. My wife has a Ford Fusion, that has soft cloth seats perhaps one of those? But it is not a patch on the Yeti.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Only if you have to drive with foot at the same angle as accelerator pedal, I drive with heel about 4 inches to the left of it with foot naturally at about 45 degrees.
Bit difficult if the Brake peddle is just over 2''gap to the side and protrudes about 3'' before the gas pedal

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
As you have specific seat requirements that all the small/medium cars you've tried do not meet, have you considered getting the seat altered to make it what you want?
Perhaps it's worth speaking to a couple of car upholsterers. I would have thought that changing the squab foam to a softer one would be relatively simple and the upholsterer should be able to advise on whether making such a modification would have any detrimental effects on the seat as a whole. :)

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Bit difficult if the Brake peddle is just over 2''gap to the side and protrudes about 3'' before the gas pedal
Your layout must be different to mine then.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yup Don't have a spare one on the left like yours and my Brake pedal more than twice the size :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts