Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I wonder if anyone might have already done this and can offer some advice.

I hold an Amateur Radio Licence and wish to fit a two-way radio into my new Yeti.

The logical location for the radio is underneath / behind the 'glove' box, above where the front passenger's feet will be. So far, so good. However, I need to route the power cable direct from the battery, through the bulkhead to the proposed location for the radio. Do any of the wiring looms come through at about this point or, would I be looking at partly dis-assembling the dashboard? (No chance)!

TIA

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
I believe there is a grommet behind the glove box with several wires already through that can be used. Beware taking any of the dash apart because of the air bags!
Could you not use a "piggy-back fuse" directly from the dash fuse board?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Llanigraham, thanks. I thought that might be the best option. There is less electrical interference if I go direct from the battery rather than via the fuse box.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
4,925 Posts
I run a MSA Safety Radio in mine, but just use clips onto the battery as it doesn't need to be fitted all the time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am also a radio amateur. Sorry this is a bit late...Please be very careful with the amount of RF you are using. The Yeti has only been cleared to 10w max - not 400W. This is mentioned in the handbook ('two way radio' - page 128 in mine). Modern cars are not designed to handle large amounts of RF for EMC reasons (ABS, ECU to name a few). For comparison, the average Airwave radio runs about 5w with Adaptive Power Control at that.
Will the radio under the glove compartment be clear of the passenger legs if they flay in a sudden stop?
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Steel300... Looks like there's a few of us about. I had my mobile gear installed in various cars for donkeys years...really enjoyed it, but just another tip, check with your insurance company. Some of them absolutely forbid any form of transmission since all the hoohah that came about with mobile phone legislation...... Maybe you know about this already but just thought I would mention it. 73s.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
This one certainly had plenty of radio equipment installed, when pictured in 2013.

Distinct possibility this may be on duty again the w/e. When the Royal Engineers exercise their "Freedom of the City" parade through Ripon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts