Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished work at 6am and set off home. 90 minutes later I walked through my door, 14 miles from where I work.
Anybody that uses the A470 will know of it's tendency to collect standing water and little rivers. This morning someone ignored that and ended up throwing it off the road. Fortunately the barrier stopped it landing on the roundabout below, but it did close the road. The diversion was going nowhere so I decided on a different route. There was more flooding, but we were managing, being sensible, and had even picked up a Range Rover and a Quashquai.
I decided to stop to check things out on a particularly dark bit under a viaduct, when the Range Rover driver joined me and pointed out that we had lost the Nissan. He was surprised how well the Yeti was doing and admitted there were a few bits he wouldn't have tried had I not gone first. At this point a very handy guide to the water depth ahead approached us in the shape of a Merc Sprinter floating sideways down the road. Turn around and head for higher ground. One 27 mile detour later and I'm home and damp, and thoroughly impressed with what these little soft readers can cope with.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
I believe the wading depth of of a Yeti is as good as some of the better 4x4 cars out there. Due to its ground clearance and ride height. Aided by a very clever little air intake above the radiator - that can separate air and water coming into the engine bay. Perhaps only a Defender with a snorkel has a better wading depth? (Those can happily go through water up to windscreen height.) Yesterday, while driving our Yeti up the A1 past Durham, I was passed by a series 2 Range Rover with a snorkel up to the top corner of the windscreen and 4x4 Response sticker on the back. Clearly on a mission to get somewhere!

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
The wading depth of a Yeti is the door sill height. A handy gauge could be a stick (wooden or walking) with a band of red tape a few inches lower than the max. Then you could use it to measure the depth and check for missing manhole and drain covers.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
The wading depth of a Yeti is the door sill height. A handy gauge could be a stick (wooden or walking) with a band of red tape a few inches lower than the max. Then you could use it to measure the depth and check for missing manhole and drain covers.
Excuse my ignorance if it applies, but a little curious:unsure:

How do you intend to use this gauge?
You would be close to wanting waders if you were at a depth just below the Yeti sill height;);)

·
Premium Member
1,429 Posts
I was driving through still flood waters once in a superb, just had the drivers door open to make sure the water was staying below sill level as I very slowly inched through. Eventually had to give up though as slowly getting deeper and back out again

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
Excuse my ignorance if it applies, but a little curious:unsure:
How do you intend to use this gauge? You would be close to wanting waders if you were at a depth just below the Yeti sill height;);)
The door sill on mine is about halfway up my shin. I carry a pair of wellies in the boot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Driving along very rural roads in Shropshire and we hit an unexpected ford in my Triumph 2000. A long time ago. A narrow ford, but I did notice that the water was well over the bonnet and half way up the upstream passengers window. Quite shaken.

·
Registered
400 Posts
My size 10 Dunlops are coping well even after all this rain but I do live at the shallow end.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
There used to be one of them off road courses a couple of miles from me some years ago in an old quarry.
I am sure it was run by a bloke with the surname Morgan, It was used a location for the contestants on a tv show Cilla Black was on.
Was also on another programme that gave a small trophy of some sort (i saw the trophy in his office at his house once)

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Been through this twice today first time only 3-4in deep, returned within an hr and it was up to the door sills ......... luckily didn't need to go back again, it would have had to be a boat next time :ROFLMAO:.
The karoq just took it in its stride, unlike the smart car that didn't just before me :D they he had wet feet pushing it out ?.

The cottage @3.50 was where my grandparents lived and got flooded out in 1968 the water was running in the window one side and out the other.

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
There used to be one of them off road courses a couple of miles from me some years ago in an old quarry.
I am sure it was run by a bloke with the surname Morgan,
That was at Slindon in Sussex, it was deeper on the way out, I'm up in Wrexham on Friday for a family funeral, fingers crossed there is not another storm next week.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
That was at Slindon in Sussex, it was deeper on the way out, I'm up in Wrexham on Friday for a family funeral, fingers crossed there is not another storm next week.
We have been pretty lucky with the weather here so hopefully it should be ok for you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Went back out this afternoon to lend a hand. Mostly just helping people to evacuate, and retrieve things from flooded homes but some car pulling was required. Got very soggy wading in with a tow rope, complete with some fumbling to attach to part submeged cars, though a mad fella in a dry suit did most of that. I refused to back into water deeper than my exhaust pipes, but other than that as happy to try most things until some expected me to get to their car so they could get sat navs and phone chargers, when the only visible bit was the roof. Having worked all night and back in now, I made my excuses and went home to bed. I know they were stressed and upset, but don't take it out on those trying to help. So I doff my cap to the Hood and all others giving their time and efforts with 4x4 response.

·
Administrator
13,099 Posts
We didn't do a great deal this time, there was almost a mass turnout last night but luckily it was not needed.
It sounds like you could be a good addition to a group in your area. Here is a link to the UK site which lists the groups around the country. 4x4 Response UK . You would be under no obligation to do anything you are not sure of and get to attend some good training and events, it was quite something being part of the "Ride of remembrance".

SWMBO mentioned the possibility of another storm next weekend, oh boy!

·
Premium Member
5,220 Posts
I find the BBC 14 day forecast very good for wind speeds too.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
Here is a handy site for any weather enthusiasts windy.com it looks like Friday could be a day trip rather than a weekend of visiting SWMBO relatives.
Great chart.
Can i ask how do i copy that link to send to a few sailing mates by e-mail?
I tried copy and paste but it showed a world map, and also highlighted it (ctrl C & then ctrl V) but came a different colour and could not click into it.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts