Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the Yeti (Elegance) back from its second service and was appalled at the news that it would cost £185 to replace one of the front fog lamp bulbs! I was told this is because the front bumper assembly has to be removed for access!
Has anyone else experienced this and can the bulb be replaced without removing the front bumper?

Otherwise no problems at all with this car - reasonably good mileage, reliable, enjoyable to drive and managed to get about in last year's snow with winter tyres fitted at each corner.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
RUBBISH tell the dealer to get it right. The fog light bulbs can be replaced without anydismantling of the front end, a bit fiddly but can be a DIY job. the only bulbs that need thefrontbumper removed is theindicator bulbs, and only for the first change as the cover has to be cut off and a new cover fitted. From then on it can be done without removing the bumper, £180 sounds a lot some have said around £80.

·
Administrator
14,590 Posts
The fog light does not use a special bulb just a straight forward H7, and as Wakev says is a fiddly but straight forward job. Get the dealer to look at page 225 in the handbook. The scary ones would be the HID bulbs if you have them (Halfords price £70 each) and the indicators which require some front end removal. I had not heard about the cutting requirement for the indicators before, which could scupper a theory that I had. There seems to be a large aperture in the front wing/mudguard which is covered by the protective panel in the wheel arch. This lines up with the back of the headlight unit and I had thought it may provide an alternative route. As I tend to take things to bits I might have a look next summer when the rain stops.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Do you fellas know something the rest of us don't?? Are you sure it is going to stop raining. if so when, I wouldn't mind taking Yeti out to see what the forward view is without the wipers on!!!!

·
Administrator
14,590 Posts
On the way to work yesterday the bulb failure light came on and the Maxidot said "check front right hand fog light". A couple of tips if you have to change yours. If you look at the front of the hole the bulb passes through there are three "square bits" embossed onto it. These line up with the three ribs on the front of the metal collar around the glass. The bulb is held in place with three spring loaded barbs. Re fitting the bulb is easier if you refit the cable block and hold that rather than the bulb. I changed both sides, time taken for the first one around fifteen minutes, time taken for the second thirty seconds. Don't line the dealers pocket.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just had to replace the left front fog light bulb on my 2013 Yeti it is a bit fiddly what I did was put a mirror of my wife's down behind the light housing take rubber cover off pull plug off and press down hard on the plugprongs on the bulbs this will free bulb from bulb clips ( but you need small hands to do it easily) and like someone as just said put plug on new bulb makes it easier to fit I put it back in bulb holder and looked from the front before I pushed it home back into clips it took me about an hour but could do itin half that time now the mirror was a big help to be able to see what is inside the bulb housing the cost tome was 9 Euros

·
Administrator
5,031 Posts
Welcome to the forum Turbo Chicken. Thanks for the mini-guide. They havenot designed the Yeti to make some jobs easy.

·
Premium Member
5,225 Posts
SnowGood said:
Welcome to the forum Turbo Chicken. Thanks for the mini-guide. They havenot designed the Yeti to make some jobs easy.

Compared to many cars now the Yeti is very good. Try Renaults or Peugeots that need the front bumper and grille removing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have searched, but not yet found, any reference to the procedure etc., to replacing the front R/H fog lamp on a 2014 F/L Yeti. I have a condensation issue and have been advised to take out the lamp holders and let the air circulate. I have managed to get to the L/H one by easing back the wheel arch guard, but the same procedure on the R/H side only gives me the view of the washer tank. I presume that I can get to it by taking off the undertray, but I am open to any helpful hints or tips from more learned fellow Yeti owners. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
905 Posts
On the face lift yeti the fog lamps are removed from the front (outside). The procedure should be in your owners book. In mine it's on page 240 in the 'Do it yourself' section under 'Fuses and Bulbs'Edited by: RickT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello RickT,
Thank you for pointing in the right direction, (the perils of not reading enough of the handbook!). The diagram must show an earlier type of grille with the hole at the top, as mine, as probably on all RHD Yetis, is at the bottom, (for adjusting the fog light beam with a T20 torx bit. Just a tip when using the tool as suggested, make sure that the angled tip is at 12 o'clock, if the hole is at the top and if hole is at bottom, the tip should be at 6 o'clock. This is because there is a reinforced moulding in that position, presumably to take the strain of pulling. if you have have angled tip at 3 or 9 o'clock, you stand a chance if breaking/cracking the plastic grill, (I speak from experience, with only slight damage!).
Thanks again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts