Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a 2014 DSG 2.0 4x4 had a knock coming front passenger side changed bushes and anti roll bars knock went away but after about 6 weeks or so the knock has returned possibly anti roll bar faulty? Any ideas?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Who did the work?
If you paid a garage to do it, take it back there and request that they have another look.

There are a lot of things that could cause a knock.
Under what circumstances does it occur?

The anti roll bars are about four feet long and go from one side of the car to the other. Is that what was changed?
The last picture in the other thread you posted in shows the drop link for the anti roll bar, not the anti roll bar itself.

And the bushes you mentioned ... were those the anti roll bar bushes that were replaced? Or suspension arm bushes?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Who did the work?
If you paid a garage to do it, take it back there and request that they have another look.

There are a lot of things that could cause a knock.
Under what circumstances does it occur?

The anti roll bars are about four feet long and go from one side of the car to the other. Is that what was changed?
The last picture in the other thread you posted in shows the drop link for the anti roll bar, not the anti roll bar itself.

And the bushes you mentioned ... were those the anti roll bar bushes that were replaced? Or suspension arm bushes?
Suspension arms and I did take it back but he was unable to figure out where the knock was coming from his next guess and only a guess was shockers but I thought I'd be able to feel it in the steering wheel and sound is the exactly same as it was before that's why I think the suspension arm has failed already.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Check all the bolts are still tight as a prority. You don't want any suspension bolts coming loose.

If a mechanic who has inspected the car cannot determine where the knock is coming from, then don't get your hopes up that us lot (who haven't seen the car) will come up with the correct answer.
All we can do is advise which components it might be.

There are lots of moving parts in the front suspension, and most of them can cause knocking when they degrade or fail.

Under what circumstances does the knock occur?

·
Registered
450 Posts
A knocking sound can also be caused by components that are not part of the suspension system.
Exhausts, heat shields, steering, heavy electrical or bowden cables, or something random that is not mounted securely can also be a cause.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check all the bolts are still tight as a prority. You don't want any suspension bolts coming loose.

If a mechanic who has inspected the car cannot determine where the knock is coming from, then don't get your hopes up that us lot (who haven't seen the car) will come up with the correct answer.
All we can do is advise which components it might be.

There are lots of moving parts in the front suspension, and most of them can cause knocking when they degrade or fail.

Under what circumstances does the knock occur?
Usually when going over bumpy ground wasn't getting my hopes up just just wondering if many have had suspension arms fail so quickly

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
1. Are you able to reproduce the knock when you want to?
2. Does it change with road speed?
3. Does it change when loaded (4 occupants)
4. Does it change when turning left?
5. Does it change when turning right?
6. Does it change when going up/down hill?
7. Does it change in reverse?
8. Does it change with different gears?
9. Dos it sound different with the window open, clonk/bang/Metalic?
10. Does it clonk if vehicle rocked violently by two people when stationary?
12. If yes to the above does it change if engine running or stopped?
13. Does it change when engine hot/cold?
14. Does it change when wet/dry?
15. Is battery clamp secure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1. Can reproduce the knock on any uneven ground 2. Faster I go on uneven ground faster the sound of the Knock.
3. Only ever 2 people in at any one time but no it doesn't change.
4. No
5. No
6. No
7. No
8. It's DSG but no.
9. No
10. There was 4 at the garage rocking it only made the sound of the knock once.
11. No
12. No
13. No
14. No
15. Yes

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts
1. Can reproduce the knock on any uneven ground 2. Faster I go on uneven ground faster the sound of the Knock.
Does it speed up because it is crossing more bumps, or could it be a rotational knocking?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts