Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum peeps.

Having just had to replace the EGR valve on my Yeti, I have looked into the use of fuel additives for my 1.6 Diesel Greenline to look after the engine etc.

Obviously many previous discussions have taken place...so just want to try and confirm what I think I have understood.

Supermarket fuel, lower quality than premium diesel, therefore more cost effective option can be additives.

Archoil - 6400 - For cleaning the system; 6900 improving the cetane and reducing muck in the system (i.e. maintenance)

Millers - Ecomax (similar to 6900 as above)

Some may think it is all snake oil.

I picked up some diesel redex in Aldi last week (2x250ml £5) which I believe to be their equivalent of the cetane boosting rather than the system cleaner.

So, my planned approach - give the engine some system cleaner once in a while, but maintain by routinely adding some Archoil (or equivalent).

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
In my Greenline I used Archoil - 6400 and now add 50ml of AR6900-D Max in every tankful.
After the 6400 it was noticeably smoother especially at low revs where the Greenline can be a bit grumbly due to no DMF.

Has your car had the fix? Pretty sure the 1.6 is affected more than the other diesels.
Mine has not had the fix and will not as long as I have it and I think that at 6½ years it has years ahead of it.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my Greenline I used Archoil - 6400 and now add 50ml of AR6900-D Max in every tankful.
After the 6400 it was noticeably smoother especially at low revs where the Greenline can be a bit grumbly due to no DMF.

Has your car had the fix? Pretty sure the 1.6 is affected more than the other diesels.
Mine has not had the fix and will not as long as I have it and I think that at 6½ years it has years ahead of it.
I dont believe that mine has had 'the fix' - although I am not entirely sure what that is, I believe it is by-passing the EGR or whatever...the VW emissions thingy? I don't intend on doing that. It is 2014...has 36K miles on it, and I intend to drive it into the ground (albeit carefully). I managed to get 125K out of a 1.2 Punto.

You mention 'a bit grumbly at low revs'....I do find that in first and lower speeds in general it can be a bit jumpy...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not had it since new. There wasnt anything in the accompanying documentation to this effect.

"ŠKODA Partner has confirmed to us the service action (Diesel EA189) had been performed for this VIN."

So i assume this is 'bad' news.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
It is possible to remove the "fix" but not through a dealer. Several members have had it removed either by remapping or having a copy of the original ecu software re-installed. The later is the more economical of the two, from memory I think it cost idleness around £50, that said it depends on whether any components were changed along with the software as the Greenline differed in what was done.
As regards the egr most fuel additives have no effect cleaning it as they have been burnt before they reach the exhaust. There are some that survive the combustion process but Redex will not be one of them.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
I think it cost idleness around £50, that said it depends on whether any components were changed along with the software as the Greenline differed in what was done.
Pretty sure the only other thing apart from the fix to the ECU is a "Flow Smoothing" device in the air inlet, easily accessible on top of the engine.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
Pretty sure the only other thing apart from the fix to the ECU is a "Flow Smoothing" device in the air inlet, easily accessible on top of the engine.
That physical mod I believe only applied to the 1.6, as in a/your Greenline Nick.
The 2.0 CR engines all got software mods only. Unless the owner subsequently needed to call on the 2-year warranty in injectors, CR pressure valves, EGR, DPF, etc., etc.

Reactions: NickL and Urrell

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
That physical mod I believe only applied to the 1.6, as in a/your Greenline Nick.
Yes, the first correspondence from Skoda said the Greenline 1.6 would be last to have the "Fix" and that it would involve replacing the injectors, you can imagine what that would cost them, so much cheaper to have a remap and a plastic flow smoothing device costing perhaps 1000% less in parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 2.0 CR engines all got software mods only. Unless the owner subsequently needed to call on the 2-year warranty in injectors, CR pressure valves, EGR, DPF, etc., etc.
ok, so there was (probably) no remap of the ECU, and just a physical modification then. I assume that this isnt likely to cause engine damage as some of the modifications etc would appear to have done according to press reports.

I will have a look under the bonent see what I can see. From what I can tell the car runs fine, althoguh clearly i have no 'before' comparison. I have a small 'arches' type garage 50 yards up the road and might ask them for some advice about whether it is worth removing/bypassing this

Apologies if this is all rather 'newbie' type stuff - all i really want is a car that I can drive and get serviced regularly.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
ok, so there was (probably) no remap of the ECU, and just a physical modification then
No, the changes to the 1.6 were more than the other engines, whereas the changes to the 2.0 were just to the ECU affecting injector timing etc the 1.6 also had the flow smoothing device fitted into the inlet.
Out of all the VAG TDI engines fitted to the Yeti it's thought the 2.0 TDI 170 HP was affected the least and the 1.6 Greenline was affected the most by the "Fix"

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
ok, so there was (probably) no remap of the ECU, and just a physical modification then. I assume that this isnt likely to cause engine damage as some of the modifications etc would appear to have done according to press reports.
It depends on what you class as damage, the egr could have been a direct result of this fix, but then perhaps not. A Cornish relative had her SEAT "fixed", sometime later when she was in Wales her car was recovered to a garage to have the egr replaced. She was advised to join the AA as Wales had "run out" of egr's and she may need to be trailered back to Cornwall. The main things affected by the software modification were the injectors, egr and dpf, the Greenline is the only one that had to have the injectors replaced which to me suggests a more extreme change. It may be worth contacting someone who reverses the "fix" and ask them what their opinion is, we do not have many Greenline members on the forum and Urrell did not have his done. The "fix" is the ultimate marmite subject.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It depends on what you class as damage, the egr could have been a direct result of this fix, but then perhaps not. A Cornish relative had her SEAT "fixed", sometime later when she was in Wales her car was recovered to a garage to have the egr replaced. She was advised to join the AA as Wales had "run out" of egr's and she may need to be trailered back to Cornwall. The main things affected by the software modification were the injectors, egr and dpf, the Greenline is the only one that had to have the injectors replaced which to me suggests a more extreme change. It may be worth contacting someone who reverses the "fix" and ask them what their opinion is, we do not have many Greenline members on the forum and Urrell did not have his done. The "fix" is the ultimate marmite subject.

Well I have just had the EGR replaced - although several garages have said that this has been an issue with vehicles having been used little over the last 18 months.

If anyone knows of reputable fix reversers in the Gloucestershire/Worcestershire area then perhaps mention on here. Then i can have a think about it - perhpas give them a call.

Funny thing about marmite, is that I am ambivalent about it! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts