Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Probably.
Remember that a Yeti has the aerodynamics of a brick, so the faster you go the worse it gets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeti drag coefficient is stated as 0.37, which isn't too bad. However, as drag is proportional to speed squared then a small change in road speed can deliver a big change in mpg.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I find the temptature makes a big difference at 8 deg I get 52mpg at 1 deg I get 44 on the same journey with a 110 dsg box not high speed driving though

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose cruising at a steady 80, is not particularly fuel efficient, but not keen on sitting in the inside lane for hours on end to save a few pounds. My last car avaraged 52 mpg doing the same journey every week. The Yeti is great when there's snow and ice to contend with, but I'm disappointed with it otherwise.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My 2.0 litre 110 4 x 4 also only does about 38 - 40 mpg. I have spoken to the local service dealer and they says theirservicemanager has a VW touran with the same underpinnings and that is all he gets. I am having it serviced next week and its first MOT and they are going to look at it. Then its off to sunny Spain for a month on 25th March all the way to Malaga and back.

It is the only area that I am disappointed with everything else about the Yeti is great, still driving it with a smile on my face. They have to be driven to be believed.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Alan,
Exactly what type of driving are you doing to get that figure?

One of the problems with trying to compare fuel consumption across owners is that there are too many variables. No driver drives the same, no journey can be exactly the same, and even tyre types can affect the figure.

My 59k mile 140 4x4 has averaged 46.5 mpg over the nearly 3 years I've had it. That includes towing a caravan across France several times. My roughly one hour journey to work of 48 miles of Welsh cross-coutry A roads normally gives me a figure of just under 50mpg (55ish on the maxidot). However I drive very defensively, so whilst approaching the speed limits I do not brake much and use very gently acceleration.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yesterday I drove from Banbury to Faversham, motorway almost all the way around 120 miles light traffic used cruise control quite a lot at around 75 mph and think it showed around 38 on the maxidot. The cumulative figure on the maxidot at the moment is 37.1 mpg

I do drive fairly defensively now (it's not a company car and fuel now!) I think the most that I have ever had on trip consumption is 44 mpg which drops rapidly when you get back into traffic. I have asked the service people to look at it next week, it will be interesting to see if they come up with anything

·
Registered
159 Posts
Very interesting to read you say "which drops rapidly when you get back into traffic" about fuel consumption. My experiences are exactly the opposite !!

·
Registered
10 Posts
With regards to fuel consumption I too no longer benefit from a company car or fuel so I opted for a "greenline" Yeti (with Winter tyres for the winter) Not being able to find a new one last November I bought a 2 year old one with 20k miles and must admit after running Merc's, BMW's a Freelander & an Evoque I was just a littleskepticalabout running a Skoda but after reading all of the reports I was confident that this would be an ideal car for botheconomyand for my Great Dane who had loads of room in the back!

Fuel Economy: around town with my old Yeti I was getting around 50 MPG. On a Wine run over to Calais and back got 55 MPG with my wife and I & returning with 34 cases of wine!! However after liking the Yeti so much I decided to buy a new one but the only one I could find was in Glasgow and living in Southampton this meant a 422 mile journey each way so I set off at 12.45 with a three qtr full tank of Shell V Power diesel and after 300 miles traveling North I was on 53 MPG at 80 MPH all the way (true speed of 77 on the GPS) I wasextremelyimpressed with this!When I pulled into put £20 worth of ordinary diesel in for the cars final 120 miles the "Trip MPG"slowly went down to 48!!! (After several fill ups with different diesel brands I have noted that the V power gives around 5 more MPG but factoring in the extra cost works out about the same as buying ordinary diesel the only saving grace is the double driver points with the V-Power although the engine isdefinitelya littlequieterand more responsive too)!After doing the deal and returning home again (totallyback ache free) the new engine in the first 100 miles (at 70MPH) would only return 40 MPG on standard diesel, I could not find a Shell garage so put £20 of BP diesel in to get me to the next Shell garage....with a few more miles on the clock but back up to 80 MPH theeconomythen went up to 44 MPG after eventually finding a Shell garage and filling with V-Power again I got it up to 50 MPG after several stops and re-sets of the Computer. Now after 1500 miles I am getting around 55/60 MPG around town, taking it easyacrosscountry 65 MPG and keeping it to 70 MPH on a motorway the new Yeti gets 60+ MPG using V-Power!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I have just filled today and again worked out my figures,46.5 with a bit of everything thrown in.This has grown from 43 over the last 3 month's that Yodo and I have been together.I,like Lanigraham,dont try and set the world alight accelerating up to speed but do cruise on the motorway at around 125-130 kh so overall am quite pleased.Seem's to be getting better by the tankfull.Have filled up today with Cepsa Optimax,bit dearer but am told it'll do him good now and again to clean him out.Also might get a few more mpg,we'll see.Edited by: Suzuki

·
Registered
222 Posts
Over the past few days drove to Lands End and back via Torquay. Total disance was 681 miles with 4 adults plus dog and luggage on board. Willy John averaged 40.1 mpg. He is a 1.2 TSI, shod with winter tyres, and throughout the journey probably cruised half the time at 55-60mph and the rest at a spritely 70mph.
For such a small engine he performed admirably and I'm well pleased with his performance and frugality.

·
Registered
267 Posts
If your passing by my neck o the woods on your way through to Malaga Alan,stick your head in the door for a cuppa.We're only 3-4 hrs away and you can have a look at me rock garden ,lol. That Hoody chappie will know all about that.

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
Suzuki said:
If your passing by my neck o the woods on your way through to Malaga Alan,stick your head in the door for a cuppa.We're only 3-4 hrs away and you can have a look at me rock garden ,lol. That Hoody chappie will know all about that.
Watchout if he has a garden pond!

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
alancooper said:
Obviously a story behind this?
Getting a bit off topic.
If you use the link below you will see Suzuki's rock garden in all its splendor, just watch out for the duck pond!

http://www.yetiownersclub.co.uk/forum/my-new-yeti_topic336_post2205.html?KW=#2205

Getting back on topic just spent a week in Devon/Cornwall with just under 600 miles covered, with all the motorway and dirt tracks combined (SWMBO had her eyes closed some of the time) the maxidot read 52.4 mpg but I knock 10% off that to allow for enthusiasm.

The motorway and dual carriageways were at 69mph according to the satnav, some of the 1 in 3 Cornish "roads" were in second gear due to blindsteep corners,vegetation slapping both wing mirrors and high speed locals. Loved every minute of it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Thanks for the link, don't see a duckpond though!

I've never had a maxidot reading over 45 mpg. It will be interesting to see if they come up with anything when it is serviced on Wednesday.

I have also had those sort of experiences in Cornwall my son lives just outside of Hayle

1 - 20 of 36 Posts