Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did write on the forum a few weeks ago_Our Yeti lost all power on the motorway in third lane with traffic behind, moving into centre lane then inside lane thinking its going to completely die on me (scary)
The power came back as I got to "safety"
That 10 to 20 seconds was probably the longest in my motoring career.
At the dealer from where we got "sketi" were very helpful, after the diagnostic test showing no faults Ian, the Dealer man, said about fuel. after he spoke a lot ofsense he mentioned about single skin underground tanks that condensate whereas the more modern Tesco Sains Bp Esso and such all have double skins to prevent condensation from happening. It was a drop of water in the fuel that caused the failure.
Earlier we came off the motorway to fill up at a grotty little garage whose priceswereas high as the Service stations on the motorways but needed diesel. getting back on the motorway after about an hour driving it happened.
SoDON'TGO TO LITTLE GARAGES for your fuel if you use motorways a lot.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
I had a petrol Volvo which broke down on the way to work (not nice at 0430). The RAC man showed me the fuel filter that was full of water. It had built up so much that it cut off the petrol supply, he shook out the water and the car restarted.
On his recommendation I added a bottle of this every year (see link below) and never had the trouble again. A local motor factor had a display with water and the dry fuel in it, give it a shake and all the water was absorbed very impressive.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wynns-71867...=UTF8&qid=1373557984&sr=1-1&keywords=dry+fuel

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I would not add anything to fuel, modern engines and fuel systems, and DPF and CATS can be ruined very easily and cost a fortune to put right. Even under warranty, as they can test fuel and oil to see if anything has been added, voiding the warranty.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
freedie said:
My God. Did you read the reviews...
There was only one review, the car mentioned may have failed anyway.

I used the Volvo until it had covered 170,000 miles and it was still going strong. I only sold the car as I am a shift worker and need a car that will not let me down at 0415 on a winter morning. The car lasted at least another five years to my knowledge.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
freedie said:
My God. Did you read the reviews...
If you look at the MSDS sheet it is just Isopropyl Alcohol.
Isopropyl won't harden any seals or cause metal erosion. It is safe to use. I have used it in the Sketi and in my wife's Accent to sort out a problem with water condensation in the fuel. It works well.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
260 Posts
Thanks Adobedon for posting the results.
I know it can be tough to keep a cool, critical mind when something as expensive as the family car needs sorting out, passing on the information when things settle down is very useful and appreciated.
I have been using Caltex Vortex diesel or BP since we got our diesel Yeti, and always from busy servos, so far so good.
Rob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts