Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Yeti seems to be averaging about 9 miles per litre which equates to 40 mpg and that is not just around town that is on a good run to Skegness averaging about 60 mph considerably less than the 64 mpg Skoda says it will do.

Has anyone else experienced poor fuel economy with their Yeti?
skaifeym

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
You don't say which model you have, mine averages 52 mpg (over 20000 miles), a 1.2 "loan" Yeti managed around 35. A good way of improving your mpg would be to display the actual mpg on the Maxidot. A considerable improvement can be made by lightening your foot by a tiny amount without affecting the cars progress. Having said that don't get too transfixed or you might bump into something.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Skaifeym, you don't say which model for reference or if it is new.

I am getting 42.5mpg doing 80 mile a day at, an indicated, just sub 70mph but my 170 deisel has only covered 3k, when I fill up my average speed for the tank is about 40 mph. The published combined value is 47.9 mpg but I expect to get 5mpg below that for my usage. I'd hope to get a couple more mpg in due course because I used to do an indicated 80mpg in my previous vehicle, but it was less draggy.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hood has good point instantaneous mpg is very enlightening, also I find it coasts much further than I am used too, and the fuel is cut off during that time, so backing of early is a great fuel saver.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I see you point now, I think 64mpg is wildly optimistic for a draggy, heavy car. I thought they get the figures on rolling road so drag is not accounted for, but I've not checked that fact. From Hoods figure you should be above 50 quite regularly, I am quite envious of his 50+ on a 4x4, but would not expect it.
Always do the return trip for calculation. On my journey sometimes I see 52mpg one way and 39mpg the other and there is no altitude difference, seems to be head wind and desire to get home!

You need 10k on the car before it will deliver its best fuel consumption but a checkout does sound reasonable idea.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
Ferdie said:
From Hoods figure you should be above 50 quite regularly, I am quite envious of his 50+ on a 4x4, but would not expect it.
Don't forget it is only a part time 4x4. Work and back is around 50 miles per day. I don't do a lot of stop start driving,If I am gentle with the pedal I get up to 56 mpg per trip, if I use a bit of "welly" I get 51/52 mpg. When I have my winter tyres on (Michelin Alpin 215/60/16) I get about 2 to 3 mpg more, I did manage 60 mpg about three times last winter. Also on the winter tyres the ride is more comfortable and noise levels drop. I wonder if anyone with a Greenline manages the figures mentioned by the OP.

Surprisingly I also seem to get more mpg from Tesco Diesel than Shell, high temperatures also seem to reduce mpg slightly.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Looking at the 2.0 manual diesels, the best figures are for the highest output units. So it seems the fuel consumption testing does not use full power much if at all.

Hood, you are getting great figures, you must have the perfect combination of journey type, skills and near blue printed engine/power train. When I drive A/B roads for 50 miles I can get indicated 53 (real 50.5 if you ignore mph error).

At an indicated 70mph the GPS says 67mpg and at 60mpg it is 57mpg, at lower speed they close up. All Measured over a strait track I have not tried calculate what this means. I shall have to try Tesco!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've done around 3500 miles now in my 1.2 manual; the running average on the maxi idiot display is showing 35mpg, best trip average I've had was 42 mpg. I thought it might do a little better than this! However, it's my only "complaint" with the car which has been superb in all other respects.

To put my findings into some perspective - I run a 190 ish BHP hatchback which returns 35mpg (driven similarly) and a 355 BHP 2 seater that returns 29 mpg (again, driven similarly) - so 35mpg is not doing very well for a modern engine imo.
Edited by: Steph64

·
Registered
213 Posts
Steph64, the fact you get 35 from a hatchback which is probably similar weight but less draggy probably indicates it is about right. As I noted earlier the more powerful engines are more economical in the same vehicle, so the fact yours is a 1.2 may not guarantee good consumption. The combined for your vehicle is 44mpg so you are getting near with only 3500 miles on clock.

The way I gauged what to expect was calculate what percent below combined I got with prior vehicle and not expect better, how's that look for you (would not consider anything with 355hp a valid comparison, they weren't thinking more about fun than fuel economy)?

I'm tracking mine so should see if it improves with time, but there are so many factors it more for fun than for science. Glad you like it otherwise I'm sure it will improve with time and maybe after first service, enjoy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
To be honest both the other cars I mention do better than the posted average if you stick to speed limits and drive sensibly (they do way less if driven properly!) I'm not terribly bothered by fuel consumption generally but was interested to see that my RS Clio (which I actually bought to do trackdays in) is cheaper to take on a long motorway trip than the Yeti (which does least well on the motorways - that's when I get low 30's out of it). The other car (a 911) is not comparable in any way to the Yeti but can hold it's head up with some pride re the efficiency of the engine, I think almost 30mpg is great for a 3.8 litre car, (weighing about the same as the Yeti) with 355 bhp and it does this at most speeds and driving styles - on the track the 911 drops to about 14 mpg and the Clio to around 25 mpg :)

As you suggest, the Yeti may improve a bit with a few more kms on the clock.
Edited by: Steph64

·
Administrator
4,436 Posts
I tend to agree with Steph64 that the 1.2 tsi is a little disappointing on fuel economy. Mine has just done5K miles, mostly short town journeys but some long distance motorwayand the maxidot indicates 38 mpg.Next month off on a trip to Beaujolais so I'll be able to compare your figures of low 30s for French motorways. At least fuel is cheaper in France!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd be very interested to hear how you do on that trip; we live in SW France and I think the fact that motorway limits are a bit higher (130kph) tends to murder the fuel consumption on the 1.2! Stick to the nationals and it does a bit better; I paid 1.55 euros a litre last fill up - but on the autoroute it's at least 10 or 12 cents more expensive.

Have fun :)Edited by: Steph64

·
Administrator
4,436 Posts
Perhaps fuel isn't that much different between UK and France. Our supermarket fuel is c£1.35 per litre for unleadedso that makes it c1.58 euros. I'll let you know how we get on but I'll probably stick with the autoroutes and a light left foot and try the supermarchet for fuel.

·
Administrator
13,059 Posts
The MPG mentioned by others for the 1.2 is very much like the consumption that I got from a loan car. I used it for the same type of journey and used a similar driving style. The 140 just seems to do everything so easily, it just gets on and does whatever is asked, I have always found a fairly large engine in a small body gives good performance and economy.I also listen to the engine note whilst driving and can now tell by the sound if the DPF is regenerating.

·
Administrator
4,436 Posts
My previous car was a VW Touran with the older 140bhp diesel and it gave good mpg as well as plenty of power for easy motorway cruising, which is why I think I notice the step down with the 1.2 tsi petrol. If there was a non DPF option on the diesel 140 on the Yeti I certainly would have gone for it. Maybe next time!! Lets hope the mark I model holds it's price as well as it has so far.

·
Registered
73 Posts
we have had our 1.4 tsi for a few months now and found the best fuel consumption on longer drives on A roads where speeds are around 50 - 60 mph. we have been getting around 45mpg and sometimes 50mpg. at 70 on motorways the consumption drops to around 40. round town 35 to 40. i can only assume when running at 70 mph its using the turbo more. still good figures when i was lucky to get 25 on a run with the 3.0i bmw....i do miss the bm's "get up and go" tho'.
cant have everything.
still loving the yeti.

brian

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Brian yes that seems to be about right, with the 2ltr diesel we got 44.5 from normal to heavy driving over 1200 milesmy Volvo XC70 averaged 43 on long journeys
I have noticed that clogging it, over taking and such, drops the fuel consumption down to Range Rover standards
Our Yeti is 12 months old in a few days, and suggestions as where to take her out for the day would greatfully be received

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi,Guys.Just been reading the fuel consumption posts, so I thought I would add my comments based on 9912 miles in my 2.0l 110 bhp Yeti Urban. I've owned it for just a year, and done a mixture of local and long runs (150+ miles). It has consumed 227.5 gallons of diesel, which equates to 43.6mpg.
Interestingly, the make of fuel purchased does not seem to make any measurable difference to the mpg obtained. I buy from local supermarkets, primarily ASDA, Morrisons and Sainsburys, but also buy Shell if I happen to get a 5p/litre off voucher from Waitrose!
In terms of specific consumption, I can get better mpg on my trips to South Cornwall (M5-A30 mainly). I set the cruise control at an indicated 73-74 mph on joining the motorway at J19, and have had runs where I don't disengage it until I stop for coffee just after Launceston on the A30. Result: about 53mpg. Two people on board, plus luggage for both, so the car is carrying a reasonable load, judging by the weight of my other half's bag!!
For comparison, my previous cars, an Octavia 1.4tsi Elegance did 39.6mpg over 16500 miles, and my 1.9tdi Roomster did 47mpg over 38600 miles. Sorry about the detail, but I have always kept a record of my motorcycle and car consumptions since I started driving at 16 back in 1958. Gives me something to do!!

1 - 20 of 92 Posts