Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

When we were on holiday in Norway I got problems to refuel the car. The nozzle tripped just as the tank was full. Took it to another gas station, same problem. I had to take it to a repair shop. It seemed like something has come loose in the filler pipe and stopped the flow. Results: replacement of fuel tank.Price: approx 1400‚¬. The car is a Yeti 1.8 TSI 4x4. Hope that's covered by warranty! Anyone else heard about this?

·
Administrator
13,046 Posts
There is a plastic width restrictor just inside the filler pipe, did yours come loose, or break off?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had this problem the first day I got my car. I even asked a random man on the next pump to try as I thought I was being thick with it being the first time I had put petrol in and first time I had had a diesel car. He ouldn't stop it clicking like it was full either. I left the station and tried again the next day and it was fine. It happened again a week later. I think it wont fill properly if the car is locked! I may be totally wrong but I make sure car is unlocked now when I refuel and not had it happen since, 2 months on.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
My old Peugeot 405 used to do exactly the same thing if I filled it up above the first "click" a couple of times in a row ie "overfilled" the tank repeatedly. I think the reason was the breather for the fuel filler would fill up with diesel fuel and not allow the fuel tank to expel air as it filled. The answer was to allow the fuel gauge to get below a quarter before refilling. When I did this the problem disappeared and it would fill normally until I overfilled it again.
It was also temperamental about how it was filled in respect of the angle that the bowser nozzle was placed into the filler tube.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi I have a Yeti 1800TSI 4x4. I have recently acquired this fault.It has happened a few times but it comes and goes. Took it to a garage and they stuck rods down the filler pipe to see if anything was blocking to no avail.
Was thinking that the breather hose on the tank maybe became blocked, but I can't get at the tank to check.
What is the fault. The Skoda Independent garage I went to have not encountered this problem before. Any idea's anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,325 Posts
We went to fill the car whist in Sydney this weekend and the pump kept clicking off every litre or so... Put it down to a problem with the pump. Tried in another station this morning and the same thing. The attendant said it was already full - but we knew it wasn't because we had just travelled 500 kms in it. We could see the fuel bubbling at the top. We decided to drive on and lower the fuel - a couple of hours later at Goulburn it took $80 of fuel without a hitch.

We thought maybe an air bubble? Any thoughts. Car didn't skip a beat, and the indicators on the vehicle were all correct.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had the same problem when trying t o top up fuel I'd used in a demonstration Yeti I had borrowed. I was going to put £10 in it to cover the 40 miles I had done..... I gave up ay £4.95 as I was losing the will to live!
Are diesels any worse than petrol Yetis for this?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Without wanting to tempt fate,( everything crossed) I have had no trouble filling with diesel, I usually fill up at half a tank, keep filling until the first click and then I get a whooshing noise as the air is expelled and leave it at that. The manual says not to fill past the first click or you take up the expansion room. My gauge always reads full doing it this way. Regards Paul.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mine depends on which pump I use, sometimes no issue and on others it clicks off easy. If I pull the pump tube out a little it then dispenses without any further problems.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
I think some pumps are set at too sensitive a cut-off level. Try tilting the pump at a slight angle or lifting it slightly as it fills.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I've had this problem, where it clicks off almost immediately. I then pull the pump out a fraction and it's happy days!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have had this problem at times, it seems to be worse if you push the nozzle too far into the filler. When it happens try easing the nozzle out slightly and then try again. I wonder if is something to do with the tank having to vent air out of the filler as the fuel is going in and if the trigger is too far into the filler there is too much resistance on the air going out and it causes the automatic shutoff on the trigger to operate but I am no expert on these things

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks Alan I'll try that. Perhaps I'd pushed it in too far and as suggested was getting back pressure. (No comments please!)

·
Registered
32 Posts
A new filling station has opened close to my home.
Twice I have called in to top my diesel Yeti as I was going on a longish run.
On both occasions I could only manage to put in about £6 worth of fuel, the tank appeared to be full, the diesel was right up at the filler. Switching on the car ,she was only three quarter full.
Back to my usual filling station and I was able to fill up full, as usual.
Is the problem with my Yeti or the new filling station ? I think the filling station.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts