Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see if anyone else has experienced this problem.
I have a July 2016 Yeti that since its first year has displayed an intermittent fuel gauge fault.
The thing just stops working and then starts again some time later.
As might be expected the d**n thing is always working when the vehicle is anywhere near its servicing interval.
The latest manifestation of the fault seems to be longer than usual which means it may get looked at at the next service.
Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

petrol or diesel? 2 or 4 wheel drive?

Sounds like an issue with the sender but issues with the fuel gauges are not unknown on VAG vehicles so causes are likely to vary. there was an old thread that had links to even older ones that may add some more information to the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Much obliged for your response SnowGood. July 2016 Diesel, 2 wheel drive, 2.0 TDI SCR 110ps SE EA189 + AddBlue
Metallic Steel Grey, 18000 miles.

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
Especially at just 3600 miles per year (probably less than that over the most recent 18-months?), then a sticking float in the fuel tank sender unit would be the first thought too.

Although:
  • When you say the gauge "stops working", does that mean it sticks at a particular reading?
  • Or the needle drops to its stop and doesn't indicate any reading at all?
  • Does the trip computer continue to show miles remaining at current rate of fuel consumption and does that continue to give sensible readings while the gauge is "stopped"? I.E. Do the miles remaining still go down overall, as the tank empties?
A "stuck" needle reading would support the theory of a stuck float inside the tank?
A zero / on its stop needle reading would indicate an electrical contact failure, possibly in connectors between the sender and the instrument panel?
Either idea could be compatible with an under-used vehicle?
A plausible or "behaving normally" miles remaining readout might suggest a problem more at the gauge/needle end of the system?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your very helpful response Flintstone.
  • When you say the gauge "stops working", does that mean it sticks at a particular reading?
  • Answer: The gauge pointer generally reverts to 'Empty'. This in turn affects the Range and Trip Computer (Miles Remaining) calculation and brings up an "Out of Fuel" warning message. BUT.... sometimes (less often than the Empty indication) the needle will also point to 'Full' and it will stay there for a while too even though the fuel in the tank is being used.
  • However despite the fact that the gauge indicates no fuel, the Average Used fuel output still displays correctly in the visual display.
Thank you once again Flintstone... it's very helpful of you to consider my problem. :)

·
Administrator
5,506 Posts
The needle staying showing "full" is quite a common observation and it then suddenly dropping to a lower level. Perhaps more to do with the saddle shaped fuel tank than the causes of the issue of being stuck on "empty".

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
6,656 Posts
However despite the fact that the gauge indicates no fuel, the Average Used fuel output still displays correctly in the visual display.
Thank you once again Flintstone... it's very helpful of you to consider my problem. :)
That could be because the average (and current) fuel consumption displays are (probably?) taking their information from the quantity of fuel being injected (number of pulses times the volume injected at each pulse). Rather than from how much is theoretically in the tank. That's one of the several reasons why average consumption often doesn't tally too precisely with consumption measured by noting how much actually goes in the tank. Hence why I was asking about the number of miles remaining being displayed correctly rather than the Average consumption. Miles remaining requires knowledge of how much is in the tank. Average or Current rates of consumption don't (require knowledge of tank contents).

You're welcome. My guesses are running out now though. Time to hand off the thread to others with greater experience of electrical glitches in the fuel tank sender to gauge area.

·
Administrator
15,576 Posts
Much obliged for your response SnowGood. July 2016 Diesel, 2 wheel drive, 2.0 TDI SCR 110ps SE EA189 + AddBlue
Metallic Steel Grey, 18000 miles.
I have just added your details to your signature line for future reference (saves scrolling through posts to find it)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you Flintstone and SnowGood for responding with helpful advice.

Reactions: Robjon
1 - 9 of 9 Posts