Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
Could do with a spare wheel for my Yeti don't like the modern approach with a can and some gunge as anything over 4mm hole and its useless. Does any one know if a full size wheel fits in the boot space or is it just big enough for a space saver

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
A full sized alloy does not fit properly.
The suppied spare is slightly smaller. It is not a very narrow wheel/tyre combo.

·
Registered
861 Posts
The spare is 195x60x16.
The main wheel (225x50x17) will fit in if you have to change the wheelbut the boot floor will be a about 30mm higher.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a 16" narrow spare wheel with 17" main wheels. As I may need to use the spare when towing a 'van, I am trying to get a full size spare. The standard size is 225 50 R17 94Y and I understand they are on 5J, 5x112 pcd, 57.1 centre with 14 x 1.5 bolts and 45 offset.

I have been offered wheels which are either 7.5, 6.5J or slightly different offset, (42 or 47 I think).
Bearing in mind the spare is for towing, how critical is the J or offset?

Also, am I correct in understanding a full size (width) 16" tyre/wheel would not be acceptable when towing or if it were, it would be speed restricted as it would not match the wheel on the other side of the axle?

Appreciate your comments.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Offset is critical in all aspects except for very short trips. Too little and it may rub on other parts too much over long distance will knacker the wheel bearing. Centre bore is crucial. Too small it won't fit at allTry looking on ebay Loads of them here.

For some reason the URL did not like being on two lines try this. They look like the genuine article to me. Exactly as I had on my first two Yetis.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XYeti+space+saver+spare+wheel..TRS0&_nkw=Yeti+space+saver+spare+wheel.&_sacat=0

Or try scrap yards.
This site lists most cars. PCD, offset, bore etc.
http://www.mankymonkeymotors.co.uk/Tech/pcd/pcd.htm

Edited by: Colin Lambert

·
Registered
786 Posts
Might be worth checking out similar posts as there is some question as to whether the really skinny (non-Yeti official spare) would be covered with your insurance...

·
Premium Member
1,044 Posts
If there is a problem with the insurance, then surely this would also not be allowed?

http://www.theaa.com/newsroom/news-2013/aa-pioneers-universal-spare-wheel.html

Now if you look further, you may find this bit:
* Some cars such as permanent all-wheel drive and some sports cars are not suitable for fitting a multi-fit wheel

But I believe that if you fit the space saver on the rear you will be OK due to the Haldex applying drive mainly to the front and only moving drive to the rear when slippage occurs.

http://www.carwow.co.uk/guides/glossary/Four-wheel-drive-explained

Hope this helps.

Edited by: Chocki

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
You can tow with the Skoda approved "smaller" spare wheel, but are advised only to do it to the nearest tyre dealer/garage, and at limited speed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I posted this on the For Sale/Wanted section and thought it would be helpful to post it here

I did check out the "legal" requirements and have spoken to Skoda technical who quoted the AA's web sitehttp://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/non-standard-spare-wheels.htmland also spoke to the Caravan Club's technical guy. What I understand is, if is not the same as the standard ones fitted on the other axles, it is a "temporary spare". As such it is for "emergency use" i.e. to the local garage, not for continuing to do a "long journey". However, it appears it is OK to tow with a "space saver" providing speed is kept below "50 and no further than 50 miles".

What an education! Off towing the caravan with our Yeti this weekend for the first time.

What I found strange was the Skoda Technical went to the AA web site for their information. I would have thought Skoda UK would be conversant with UK requirements as the vehicles they sell must comply.

Apologise for duplicate post.

·
Premium Member
2,440 Posts
Do you get free gym membership to build up muscles to enable you to lift the tail Gate. What a daft idea.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Where do you get the heavy duty gas struts needed to hold that lot up? Mind you, it's a great idea on cars with side-opening rear doors. Lots of extra space in the boot. I still miss the enormous boot space in my LWB Pajero!

·
Administrator
4,436 Posts
It's the Chinese version of the yeti and the spare carrier swings to one side I believe rather than lift with the hatch.
Daseteam - Perhaps it would be quicker to order one from China and import it to Germany rather than wait for a European made delivery.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Correct, the wheel swings away and then the hatch can be raised.

In the EU, (and other places) the fitment would be illegal as when swung it obscures the lights.

·
Premium Member
4,717 Posts
Unlikely, as it doesn't meet EU standards and would have to be tested, just like a kit-car.As said, the rear wheel swing-away holder would not pass our Regs and would need to be removed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yes, it was a bit of day dreaming. In the UK I think it would be simpler because there is the possibility to register one-offs. As for the rear wheel swing-away holder, I am sure it could be modified to not cover the lights.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts