Yeti Owners Club banner

281 - 300 of 378 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Going back to the good news for today, I mentioned that my insurance premium with SAGA was the same as last year at £255. Prompted by The Hood's comment, I've checked with the meercats and the lowest quote was £5 higher for identical cover. I'm sure it is an age thing leading to a higher premium than Hoodie would accept. I could try another comparison site and put in a false birthdate with a neighbour's address, but as insurers confer I could become unstuck, so I probably won't bother. Can anyone confirm my suspicions about age-related premium increases? Mrs J and I are in our 70's.
Mine with Saga is £186 for the two of us fully comp and that is the total with monthly payments, i did have a quote on the 3 year thing but declined it.

Just had my house renewal from Churchill and i can get it £100 cheaper with Go Compare, i had stayed with Churchill for a few years on car and house as we had a claim for conservatory roof and i wanted to stay with them, they also matched every other cheaper quote aswell but not this time.
Renewed mine with Saga recently. It was £220 but that was up from £155 with them two years ago. We are supposed to be in one lowest risk areas and that is for 5000 miles pa.

Dutchman, you have a really good rate there but prepare yourself for a shock when you come to renew. I usually manage to beat Saga down at renewal time but they took a hard line this year. The premium was about as good as the best I could get elsewhere though.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Going back to the good news for today, I mentioned that my insurance premium with SAGA was the same as last year at £255. Prompted by The Hood's comment, I've checked with the meercats and the lowest quote was £5 higher for identical cover. I'm sure it is an age thing leading to a higher premium than Hoodie would accept. I could try another comparison site and put in a false birthdate with a neighbour's address, but as insurers confer I could become unstuck, so I probably won't bother. Can anyone confirm my suspicions about age-related premium increases? Mrs J and I are in our 70's.
Just edit your quotes, it is only the same as putting in a different car.
You would have to put a different start date in any way (within 30 days of expiry) to get any quote now.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Renewed mine with Saga recently. It was £220 but that was up from £155 with them two years ago. We are supposed to be in one lowest risk areas and that is for 5000 miles pa.

Dutchman, you have a really good rate there but prepare yourself for a shock when you come to renew. I usually manage to beat Saga down at renewal time but they took a hard line this year. The premium was about as good as the best I could get elsewhere though.
I have only just gone to Saga a couple of months ago at the longest, its recent.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
Jimmy - did your premium change much when you got the Karoq? As others are driving older Yetis that may explain some of the difference.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Socially distanced chat with an insurance broker recently about car insurance and his thoughts were that stating you only do limited mileage each year can actually be detrimental, in that the actuaries think that someone doing that is "less practiced" and therefore at greater risk.
Only applies to first cars though, and not to second cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Interesting that. When I have put different mileages into comparison sites, it always works out cheaper on the lower mileage, but I am a named driver on my wife’s car and perhaps that’s where the difference lies. She never drives my car but it always works out cheaper to have her as a named driver on my insurance.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Interesting that. When I have put different mileages into comparison sites, it always works out cheaper on the lower mileage, but I am a named driver on my wife’s car and perhaps that’s where the difference lies. She never drives my car but it always works out cheaper to have her as a named driver on my insurance.
Insurance quotes are a lottery, i once had a quote from some firm that when i asked who the insurance was with they said the insurers i was already with but it was far cheaper through them than by direct.
When my youngest daughter started driving in her early thirties the quote for her was high but reduced if myself and my wife were named drivers, but if she had her older sister who had been driving for 10 years named it raised it.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Socially distanced chat with an insurance broker recently about car insurance and his thoughts were that stating you only do limited mileage each year can actually be detrimental, in that the actuaries think that someone doing that is "less practiced" and therefore at greater risk. Only applies to first cars though, and not to second cars.
I had mentioned that earlier and everyone on here reckoned I was talking a load of old Cobblers

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #289
Jimmy - did your premium change much when you got the Karoq? As others are driving older Yetis that may explain some of the difference.
Hi Snowgood. The insurance premium for the Yeti in 2018 was £250 with Chris Knott. They matched my lowest meerkat quote, but their premium shot up the next year, so I renewed with SAGA in 2019 for £284. £255 this year seems reasonable, but I'll check again with the meerkat and change some details, as suggested by Dutchman.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am with SAGA for the Yeti insurance. A point worth mentioning as we get older is that SAGA will take "older" drivers where others will point blank refuse. I had problems arranging insurance for my Dad who was 89 and had been off driving for about 2 years until he got a cateract operation which restored his site. I tried all the usual companies (Churchill, Direct Line etc.) who refused to quote despite a flawless driving record. I contacted SAGA and they insured him for a heafty but reasonable amount.

I have also insured my Soul EV with SAGA who were not the cheapest but were still reasonable. Unfortunately it was due to be deivered to me on 25th March and fell foul of the lockdown. It is lying in the Kia garage insured and probably (free) taxed. I thought about cancelling the insurance but I am quietly confident that after the world gets back to some sort of normallity, everything is going to cost more even though we will undoubtably have less nett income.

I would suggest that once you get a bit into your 80's, it might be worth concidering paying a bit more to get established as a customer of SAGA before you get to the age that nobody wants you.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #291
I've made some changes on the meekat quote. Initially I claimed to be 30 with 25 years driving experience in error, so it bounced back. Anyway here are the results: Age 50, licence held 5 years, no additional driver, £250 excess: cheapest £344. Ditto, no excess: £391. Ditto, £500 excess:£340. Then age 40, licence held 10 years, £500 excess: £322. Ditto, £250 excess: £328. So SAGA's quote for 2 named drivers in their 70's with a £250 excess for £255, fixed for another year, is another 'Good News Corner' result! :)

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #292
Further to the previous post, I've renewed with SAGA and the policy details arrived soon after by e-mail. The covering letter says that if nothing changes, the premium is fixed for another three years, making a total of four years at £255. Even better news!

·
Registered
31 Posts
A neighbour of mine who only uses his car once a week to do shopping was quoted £800 when he rang them they said he no longer fitted their customer profile, he is 93 though

·
Registered
545 Posts
Thank you Jimmy, you have convinced me to try Saga again at my next renewal. However, I would have to move away from Birmingham to get a quote anywhere near yours at £255.

Back in 2014 I paid Saga a competitive first-year premium of £325 to insure my Roomster. I was then 61 years old with 41 claim-free years' driving. The following year, Saga increased the premium to an uncompetitive £400, which was when I moved my insurance provider to the Little Red Telephone.

Now 67 years old and with 47 claim-free years' driving, my insurance premium with DL is a fraction over £400. This is still competitive, with AA, RAC and Aviva quoting at least £70 more for a similar level of cover.

Cheers everyone (y)

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
Just got back from SWMBO MOT and it passed but two advisories!!!!!! I don't do advisories!!!!!

"Semaphore indicator bulbs discoloured", I queried it with the tester and he said come and have a look. He shone his torch through the clear indicator on the orange indicators bulbs and said the orange colouring was flaking off. Knowing otherwise as I changed one a couple of weeks ago I did not query it any further. Just had the lenses off and what he saw was distorted light cause by the ribs inside the light lens. If he says the same again next year I will take the lights apart on the spot, prove him wrong and tell him to change it.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Semaphore indicator bulbs?? How old is SWMBO's car?

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
I’ve used my new boning knife to tunnel-bone a chicken. It’s far easier with a good knife and I managed to do it without piercing the skin. The other advantage of removing the rib cage this way is that trussing is neater. The stuffing is a hand-mixed combination of sausage meat, black pudding and garlic. It’s basted with a mixture of olive oil and cooked chicken jelly. Looks good already!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I’ve used my new boning knife to tunnel-bone a chicken. It’s far easier with a good knife and I managed to do it without piercing the skin. The other advantage of removing the rib cage this way is that trussing is neater. The stuffing is a hand-mixed combination of sausage meat, black pudding and garlic. It’s basted with a mixture of olive oil and cooked chicken jelly. Looks good already!
View attachment 3888
That's one decent size bird to practice on with your boner.

281 - 300 of 378 Posts