Yeti Owners Club banner

301 - 320 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #301
Good news again. Forestry England have reopened Dalby Forest as from yesterday. All the walks, car parks and toilets are now available, so I'm hoping to visit tomorrow with Mrs J and Rosie for a walk in the woods.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
National Trust also openeing most of their larger car parks this week but you need to pre-book a parking space. Last time I looked the booking app wasn't available but hopefully it will be by the time you need it. Houses and Gardens still closed.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #303
Thanks Snowgood. We are members of English Heritage and will only visit outdoor areas when they reopen. RSPB Bempton Cliffs is also closed.

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
National Trust not being so brave down here, Runnymede open (not tea room or monuments), Cliveden closed, Greys Court Closed, Winkworth arboretum closed, Waddesdon closed, Attingham park closed, all of which have large countryside estates.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Very sad to see that some are saying that the Welsh won't be welcome (specifically fishing) since the shutdown is more severe in Wales. This will get no-one anywhere.
Residents of Wales can only go walking distances (local)

Not sure what would happen if you live on the border.
We have some places where one side of the road is England and opposite is Wales, that will cause confusion!!!

As i have said before they should all be working together and only one rule for all the UK

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
As i have said before they should all be working together and only one rule for all the UK
Which is exactly what Wales, Scotland and North Ireland wanted, as that is what their scientific advisors wanted, but were overruled by Boris.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I think the devolved nations declared what they were going to do a few days before the date that Boris had announced he would make his statement. So it strikes me that Drakeford the Whineydog is trying to show what a decisive leader he is. Makes a nice change, he usually start running as soon as he’s challenged. Are Wales’ scientific advisors better qualified than the UK’s I wonder?

·
Administrator
13,446 Posts
It could make sense to vary things according to the infection rates but goodness knows how it would be enforced. Andy Burnham reckons that last Sunday Boris told everyone to go back to work within less than twelve hours before he had told anyone else. Barrow-in-Furness has an infection rate of 823.7 cases per 100.000 people, more than three times the England average.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
I joined this site to learn about and possibly contribute a little on Yeti related topics.

If it continues to be a forum for some individuals with chips on their shoulders to air their uninformed, unbalanced and divisive politically biased views, I shall find something else to follow.
Can I assume that you are now happy to enter into the cut and thrust of political "debate" that at times breaks out on the forum? I hope so 'cause we value your contributions, just as we do others who may have views from other points on the political spectrum.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I think the devolved nations declared what they were going to do a few days before the date that Boris had announced he would make his statement. So it strikes me that Drakeford the Whineydog is trying to show what a decisive leader he is. Makes a nice change, he usually start running as soon as he’s challenged. Are Wales’ scientific advisors better qualified than the UK’s I wonder?
If you believe that Bojo the Clown is in any way following the scientific advice ... 🤬

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I am not sure of the ins and outs of all but listened to MD speech and questions the other day as it affects me, he did say that initially (the first 3 weeks of lockdown) all the Nations had met but was still waiting to hear of Borris before the last lockdown.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Just trying to restore a little balance into the discussion. I don’t think that Boris has done a good job but it is very obvious that political opponents are taking advantage of the situation to score points. I shudder to think where we might be right now if the election in December had gone the other way.

The situation in Wales is quite interesting. Thirty years ago, Wales’ schools had better results than England, as had the health and transport systems. Since then, we’ve had devolution. Now we have the lowest education standards and our health system falls even below England’s despite the fact that even olower standards have been set.....and the roads? The Welsh Labour government are totally complacent having been the only party in power since devolution. Now the Prif Weinidog (First Minister) thinks he can handle the C-19 problem better - really? If you don’t believe me look at the breaking news on their efforts.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
The good news is that on the English side of the borders there is a simpler way of determining whether you are permitted to do something rather than deciphering Government messages.

Does money change hands and can it be done whilst social distancing? If the answer is yes to both parts than it is permitted. If no to either or both then it's not.

So Estate Agents can show viewers around your house but your own relatives can't visit; you can have a Nanny to look after your children but you can't have them looked after by their grandparents; you can have a tradesperson in your house but not friends (unless they are a friend doing a tradespersons job).

Put economy ahead of social needs and maybe risk personal health. Said like that it's a message many will reject so wrap it up in confusion and even Cabinet Ministers aren't clear what is permissable or not. It's not rocket science, but then they are probably one of the few scientific branches that aren't involved in giving advice to Government right now.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Just trying to restore a little balance into the discussion. I don’t think that Boris has done a good job but it is very obvious that political opponents are taking advantage of the situation to score points. I shudder to think where we might be right now if the election in December had gone the other way.
We will never know what will have happened.

But whoever the PM is and what party he serves, in this crisis imo he needs all the help and advice to lead us all.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
A while back, I wrote about my attitude to savings and expenses throughout my working life and into retirement. A significant proportion of my pension is money drawn down from my SIPP in January for the following year's living expenses, so naturally as well as my thoughts being focussed on Covid-19 as well as those affected by it, I am concerned about my future income. I've checked online today and in 2020 my SIPP has fallen by 5.5%, compared with the fall in the FTSE100 of 23%. This confirms several personal opinions: under these financial pressures, a good financial adviser earns every penny of their commission; a well-balanced portfolio under active management is far preferable to a lower-cost Index tracker run by a computer; saving hard and spending as much as possible during the working life pays off in retirement and finally younger people must be encouraged to save from an early age. At the beginning of a working life, retirement seems so far away, but believe me, the last 50 years have gone in an instant. Finally, I realise that the FTSE 100 is not a true reflection of a balanced portfolio's performance, but it acts as a quick marker of market conditions. Finally: in years to come, a financial adviser's office will contain a dog, a person and a computer. The computer will do all the trading and the dog is trained to attack the person if he/she approaches the computer keyboard.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #317
Thanks to the advice on the Forum, I sprayed the 3-metre wide strip of overgrown land next to our drive with weed killer after tidying my little garden at the top. A warm afternoon in glorious sun, so I felt good. On the way back from shopping today, it occurred to me as I drove home to wonder why cars have rev counters. Before synchromesh, double-clutch gear changes were done with experience and rev limiters work on our behalf, so it seems pointless. I’d rather have an oil pressure gauge and a voltmeter, all on small digital displays.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
Today was the best day of lockdown so far. Mrs J was seen by a GP for something she was worried about, but it turned out it was not a problem. (First contact by e-mail, sent photo, GP call, receptionist made appointment, wait outside, inform them by mobile, seen shortly - great service.) We drove to Dalby Forest in glorious weather at 22 deg C and enjoyed our first walk for ages. The car park was almost full, but people were keeping apart. On the way, at a local beauty spot (the Hole of Horcum) the car park was almost full. Lots of traffic, including many motorbikes. In Whitby, I saw the most people I've seen so far on the two main beaches. Two more good results. Thanks to the advice from the forum, I sprayed the overgrown area with Neudorff weedkiller yesterday and I was delighted today that much of it had dried up today - powerful stuff. A second spray today on the persistent bits and I'm hoping to burn it off shortly. Secondly, I've had a minor problem securing my pannier to the bike rack. The suplied Velcro strip is too short, so I bought Nano tape from Amazon, which is very effective. Apparently, it's reusable and washable, as well as being transparent, so useful for securing cables etc. I've a few jobs for it, so it's a really good find. Finally, a wonderful bike ride in the finest place in the world. Can of pop (sugar -free) listening to the waves breaking and watching our RNLI heroes towing a small boat back into the harbour. Bliss!!

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #320
Now that's a proper display on a great motor bike. Yesterday, a Harley was stopped in front of me at traffic lights and as I was on my bike, I could enjoy the wonderful sound on tickover and pulling away.

301 - 320 of 378 Posts