Yeti Owners Club banner

321 - 340 of 378 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Reminds me of when my dad bought an Audi 100cd, about 1982. After getting it my mother was shown how to drive it. I was in the back and we were going rather fast but it didn't seem like it as a very quiet smooth car at the time. When dad checked, she was religiously sticking to 30 for the speed limit, but that turned out to be 30 on the rev counter, and probably over 60mph in the gear she was in!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
My Ariel VB (600cc single cylinder side valve) combination didn't need a rev counter either..... at 30mph in top gear you could practically count the revs by ear!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Thanks to the advice on the Forum, I sprayed the 3-metre wide strip of overgrown land next to our drive with weed killer after tidying my little garden at the top. A warm afternoon in glorious sun, so I felt good. On the way back from shopping today, it occurred to me as I drove home to wonder why cars have rev counters. Before synchromesh, double-clutch gear changes were done with experience and rev limiters work on our behalf, so it seems pointless. I’d rather have an oil pressure gauge and a voltmeter, all on small digital displays.
A bit late in relating to the above, but how may of us in the old days (early 70's for me) would be in the breakers yard at the weekend with your mates and fill your pockets with all sorts of gauges and switches and coloured lights, fit them on your car, all for show nothing worked.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A bit late in relating to the above, but how may of us in the old days (early 70's for me) would be in the breakers yard at the weekend with your mates and fill your pockets with all sorts of gauges and switches and coloured lights, fit them on your car, all for show nothing worked.
I still have a few of those in a box in my workshop! 😀

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
My greatest desire when I started running a car in the 1970's was to have a rev counter. Fitted an after market pod one in my mini. Next car was the first to have one fitted as standard, a Triumph Spitfire.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #330
Continuing with the good news during (partial) lockdown, my culinary skills were further improved today.
A good friend sent me a recipe in response to my request on Facebook for more ideas preparing meat using my boning knife. She sent me details of a Persian lamb recipe. A local butcher delivered one of the best legs of lamb I’ve ever seen. I’d watched an excellent video on YouTube, so this afternoon I boned and butterflied it in less than ten minutes, which was most satisfying. I couldn’t get all the recipe ingredients, so I’ve made my own version. The lamb is temporarily tied up with garlic and olive oil in the slits I cut, to infuse overnight. The stuffing is a marinade consisting of baharat (a middle Eastern-style spice which smells sensational), ras-el-hanout, chopped garlic, chopped flat leaf parsley and coriander, dried blueberries, diced black pudding (there is an ongoing theme to my recent recipes!), lots of garlic and olive oil. It’s now in the fridge, with chopped onion to add in the morning. Tomorrow I’ll be creating the meaty version of a roly poly.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Continuing with the good news during (partial) lockdown, my culinary skills were further improved today.
A good friend sent me a recipe in response to my request on Facebook for more ideas preparing meat using my boning knife. She sent me details of a Persian lamb recipe. A local butcher delivered one of the best legs of lamb I’ve ever seen. I’d watched an excellent video on YouTube, so this afternoon I boned and butterflied it in less than ten minutes, which was most satisfying. I couldn’t get all the recipe ingredients, so I’ve made my own version. The lamb is temporarily tied up with garlic and olive oil in the slits I cut, to infuse overnight. The stuffing is a marinade consisting of baharat (a middle Eastern-style spice which smells sensational), ras-el-hanout, chopped garlic, chopped flat leaf parsley and coriander, dried blueberries, diced black pudding (there is an ongoing theme to my recent recipes!), lots of garlic and olive oil. It’s now in the fridge, with chopped onion to add in the morning. Tomorrow I’ll be creating the meaty version of a roly poly.
I am drooling! The road to Whitby is calling me...

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #333
I do eat a lot of garlic, so my face scarf serves a dual purpose. I'll post a picture of my boner, if there is sufficient demand.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #336
By popular demand, here is a picture of my boner with some part-completed stuffing aka stuffingus interruptus. I now need a name for my boner. Peter, Willy, Errol, Frank and Boner M are all possibilities.

321 - 340 of 378 Posts