Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 506 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Out cycling most days and with the current good weather it's been a pleasure. I sat near the Captain Cook statue, being watched by a seagull perched on his head, drinking a flask of coffee and enjoying the view of the Abbey and East Cliff. Very few people around and there is almost no traffic, so I feel safe cycling on the main roads. Self-isolation is not all bad.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Roads in Brum very quiet. I have been taking the dog for a walk along the canal towpath. Just had an email from The Canals and Rivers Trust advising not to use towpaths!!!! Doing a few jobs on the campervan.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
They have changed their minds, but then not many towpaths wide enough to pass six feet apart round here. An extract from the last email I got pasted below, perhaps mine is "in the post", internet very slow with lots of disconnects.

There is an increasing awareness of the importance of waterways in supporting our mental health and physical wellbeing. That’s why – whilst we are closing our museums and visitor attractions from Friday 20 March* – we are doing all we can to keep towpaths along our 2,000-mile network of canals and river navigations available and safe for everyone to visit and enjoy – free of charge^.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The best yet Mcdonalds have closed . There are no wrappers and drinks cartons lying by the side of the road

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
COVID-19 Coronavirus has achieved what Greta Thunberg totally failed at.
  • grounded 90% of planes. Only air freight flying.
  • taught millions of commuters they don’t need to get in their cars to go to work.
Mother Earth / Gaia is breathing a sigh of relief. After this is over and only 30% of airlines remain in business, there will be a very new “normal” - perhaps?

There were news items about reduced CO2 levels and NOx, last week. Hidden in among the “populist” items about clean canals and dolphins in Venice. Items drowned this week in all the “human” stories. Give it 3-months, then that kind of News will start to re-surface.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Administrator
4,644 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Saw the International Space Station going over tonight at 20.45 and 22.20.

Its visible a few times this week

·
Registered
456 Posts
For those with an Android phone ISS live now app allows tracking of where it is, and views of earth from the ISS. The free version does have ads though

·
Registered
877 Posts
Not necessarily good news but my insurance renewal letter arrived this morning. The new premium is £1.70 less than last year.

As normal I have tried an on-line quote with LV to test their renewal quote and the price came up exactly the same as in the letter; to the penny!

That's never happened to me before.

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Our SAGA home and contents premium dropped by £120, so I asked the representative why. He wasn't sure other than a new insurance company has provided cover. However, I added my e-bike to the cover a year ago and it cost about £100 extra. This time it cost £32, which covers the original purchase price. The premium is also fixed for three years. As I've mentioned before I like SAGA, because they are UK-based; after the usual disclaimers you're put straight through to someone, who is always ready to exchange pleasantries, and the premiums are reasonable, particularly with the three-year fixed price offer. Incidentally, the representative is now home-based, which I guessed owing to the lack of background chatter. I asked whether he missed having company and he said no as he is something of a hermit anyway!

·
Premium Member
3,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
On another topic, as this is good news corner, how about organising regional get-togethers for all Skoda-owning members of the forum once we are allowed to travel again. We have become good friends through our love of Skodas, beginning with the Yeti and expanding to other models as people change their cars. The support we are giving one another is touching and I'd be happy to travel a reasonable distance in Yorkshire and Cleveland to meet like-minded people. I won't start another thread unless there is some interest or perhaps someone else would like to be the organiser.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
As I've mentioned before I like SAGA, because they are UK-based.
So are Admiral. Lovely S. Wales accents every time I call. That is if you count Swansea as “UK”? :ROFLMAO: Now dives for cover to await the Exocet from Graham :)

When I had a job that involved visiting 7 different laboratory and office sites around the country, I used to love visiting the one in Llanelli. The most hospitable and friendly group of people I’ve ever had the pleasure to meet and work with.

·
Premium Member
4,938 Posts
Don't worry Henry I won't send a rocket. However I will point out that Admiral have more than one call centre, but they are all in South Wales, not just Swansea.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Had a text from Tesco yesterday on my pay as you go mobile, all calls between 8pm and 8am and weekends until June 1st will be free.
I rarely use that phone a £10 top up will last me 12 months at least, and we have the a monthly one at £7.50.

Well done Tesco mobile.

·
Administrator
13,651 Posts
If you use a monthly sim, here is one that is a reasonable price and includes 100 international minutes each month.

£5 will get you 2GB data, 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 100 international minutes. There may be cheaper but not with the international minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
If you use a monthly sim, here is one that is a reasonable price and includes 100 international minutes each month.

£5 will get you 2GB data, 1000 minutes, 1000 texts and 100 international minutes. There may be cheaper but not with the international minutes.

We never need to phone abroad.
The £7.50/mth from tesco also gets us a new phone every 2 years as well.

That may be handy for when we at caravan as sometimes struggle to get "free" wifi (either by logging in to my daughters BT Fon or creating a rouge account to get on one of a site further away wifi), i do use the mobile as a connection but on what i pay i have only .75GB data

21 - 40 of 506 Posts