Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was stuck in a long traffic jam last night, and the Volkswagen in front (13 reg) appeared to be a stop start vehicle as 20 or 30 times his starter motor clattered his lights flickered and his engine re-started. I could see the driver and he was not restarting the car himself

It may be a silly question but here goes, with a stop start car such as the Greenline, what happens to the aircon when the engine stops itself?

·
Registered
501 Posts
On my Greenline, when the Stop/Start activates, the aircon continues to run, though the air flow is slightly reduced. Obviously, while the engine is stopped the aircon compressor is also stopped, and so after a while the cooling effect ceases. At this point the engine restarts itself and cooling is restored. This means that in very hot weather if the traffic delay is more than a minute or so, the engine will restart even without dipping the clutch and preparing to move off. In cooler weather, when the aircon is not working so hard, the engine can remain stopped for several minutes.

The stop/start system uses a large number of sensors to measure various parameters in order to determine the advisability or otherwise of enabling the system. For example, the stop start will not come into operation if a sensor determines that the battery charge is too low to maintain the running systems throughout the period of battery drain that a restart would demand. Neither will it operate before normal engine running temperature is achieved, or if the wheels are turning, or the gearbox is not in neutral and the clutch released... and so on. Such parameters are constantly monitored during a Stop operation, and if one changes... e.g. you push the clutch pedal down...the engine restarts. So if the cabin temperature also rises above that demanded by the aircon controls, the engine restarts in order to address that issue.

All very clever.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comprehensive answer, I agree, as you say very clever.

It will be interesting to see if in later years stop/start vehicles used in inner cities suffer from starter motor failure, as the car last night was really giving it a bashing, and I live in the "sticks".

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yes, that was one of my queries when deciding to opt for the Greenline. But compared to other models it is equipped with beefier starter motor and alternator, together with a bigger "glass mat" battery, to cope with the heavier usage..... remains to be seen what reliability and service life is like.

·
Registered
828 Posts
And then what about the starter ring gear? 'Glass mat' battery. what is that?

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
A "heavy duty" type battery with fiberglass mats between the plates so as to make it more resistant to vibrations and bumps. It stops the battery plates banging against each other and internally shorting. Used a lot in 4WD's and off-road vehicles. Because the plates are protected you can fit them closer together, and more of them, so a glass mat battery has a higher capacity than an ordinary battery for a given size.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ahhhh that's what it is, so presumably it will also help prevent sediment shorting the plates out. What is needed is a battery cell that produces more than 1.5 volts then electric cars will become more viable.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Hi plbxr, Thanks for the explanation. Live and learn I say..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can't imagine the attendant wear on switchgear,battery,starter motor and starter motor pinion, ring gear, clutch, transmission train and all just for the very minimal saving on fuel. Still the tree huggers will be happy as will the manufacturers of worn out car components and the garages having to fit them new ones. Biggest farce since the general public decided to waste vast amounts of oil by demanding water be sold to them in plastic bottles.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Interesting introduction to the Forum!!Troll attack perhaps?

·
Registered
293 Posts
We have the Green line, we more often disable it anyway.
We also have our own sourced spare wheel, and self fitted tow bar, all features that go against the benefits of the Green line lol by adding additional weight.
But we still have the lowered suspension, 20mm and narrower tyres by 10mm

·
Registered
3 Posts
No, not a Troll but a fully signed up registered member and also an electronics engineer passing a valid comment on what appears to me to me to be lots of engineering compromises for little net gain.
Troll indeed!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Platform said:
No, not a Troll but a fully signed up registered member and also an electronics engineer passing a valid comment on what appears to me to me to be lots of engineering compromises for little net gain.
Troll indeed!
Of course, you could simply turn off the auto start/stop and eliminate all those extra engineering compromises while still retaining the heavier duty starter motor, battery and any other bits that were upgraded. (Of course, that would not save on all the other compromises that have been made in the design to keep price down, weight down...)

Have fun,

Ian.

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not unknown for sticking my neck out I must admit I agree with every word that platform said. But I also think a Prius is ugly, anda PHEV is a barge. Hopefully someone will find a better way of reducing fuel consumption and emissions. I still reckon a fuel cell is the way things will go in the end rather than a mountain of batteries.

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Platform said:
Troll indeed!

Then apologies, but some of the comments in your post did have some typical characteristics for a future troll attack.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone out there had problems with the stop /start system on a Greenline

The stop/start system on mine is so unreliable i have it switched off all the time.
Edited by: The Hood

·
Administrator
14,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi youngjim welcome to the forum, I have copied and pasted the line from your other post to the one above to avoid two parallel threads on the same topic. hopefully someone with a Greenline will be along with an answer for you.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is the stop start on a greenline any different to any other model?

I had a Superb Greenline with stop start and my current 1.4tsi also has stop start.

I am a funny bugger and though it would be something I would switch off and leave off but I was wrong.

I do not find it a problem at all if you stop worrying about why it has/hasn't stopped.

What do you men by 'unreliable' youngjim?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts