Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Yeti 2.0CR TDI L&K Rosso Red
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having read lots about the gen 5 haldex oil filter blocking, I thought I'd check mine.

My yeti has done 52k miles, 300 since I bought it in June this year, and I suspect it's never been changed.

Shamed into action by this Thread by @Cubes I ordered a kit from auto fault finder for £38. Came next day.
Liquid Watch Product Wood Table

Jacked and stood with secondary bottle jacks, I crawled underneath with an 8mm and 5mm hex and a 10mm socket. Drained the oil and was amazed to see sludge and "blobs".
Liquid Window Automotive lighting Hat Headgear
Bedrock Wood Grey Formation Outcrop

Took off the pump and the filter was nearly blocked!!
Fluid Water Gas Machine tool Machine

I good clean, wipe out and new o-rings and it all went back together. Nearly 900 ml of oil went in.

Hopefully I'm not too late to save the pump. This does emphasise the need to either DIY or get you 4x4 booked in to a decent garage.

Hope this helps,

·
Administrator
15,990 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Haldexrepairs.co.uk is the online store of Auto Fault Finder.
They are one and the same company.

Whatever they call themselves, they do seem to deliver the service kits quickly. But I sat on mine for six weeks before actually using it!

Robert's pictures above are quite sobering, aren't they.
If you can change the oil on the engine, then you can service your Haldex, too.
Now is the time to do it if you're DIYing on your driveway.

·
Administrator
5,707 Posts
Auto fault finders are based in Crewe for those who are more local.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The kit from haldexrepairs.co.uk was £45.70 delivered, whereas from their eBay shop (Link) was £38.

The pump screen was most concerning; what is the sludge, is it overheated and broken down oil, or degraded and broken friction plate ?

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
498 Posts
The pump screen was most concerning; what is the sludge, is it overheated and broken down oil, or degraded and broken friction plate ?
I think from what I've seen standard oil contamination from 50k miles of friction plate wear.

Did you disconnect the wiring for the pump? From what I've seen that can be the hardest part.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not disconnect the pump. it rotates enough while still attached for the screen to clear the housing and give access to the screen screws and o-rings.

Probably took 2 hours, but a lot of that was walking back and forth to the workshop, cleaning out debris and waiting for the old oil to drain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
:oops:
I have not. can't see how the system needs intervention if it can learn flow restriction is increasing, why it can't recognise the opposite when fresh oil and a clean has been done.
I might regret it, but I'll not bother.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Did you carry out the “ essential“ pump learn function using VCDS on completion ?
I had VCDS connected to the Yeti today and a full scan showed no faults in the AWD controller. Just because, I thought I'd try the pump learn function which worked fine, ending with "Finished Successfully" displayed.

I have my oil change kit and will do that job sometime in the next couple of weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts