Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I posted a problem but I've not been diving a lot lately, I've had the car about 15mths now and I've never driven it in the dark untill tonight. We had to go to Smyths to pick up some toys for grandchildren before Thursday lock down and it was not untill I got out into the country did I realise I had a headlight problem. I nearly **** myself because once I was in the pitch black the headlights were pointing at the floor and were continually lifting up and down for the entire journey to the point I had to drive at 40mph to see where I was going because most of the time the lights were down. On dash the lights were set to max up - when lights on at highest point, turning the headlight adjustment switch lowered them, put them back to highest and when driving they would go down to the lowest setting, bet the car in front loved me cause while parked up in traffic behind him I could see the lights shining on his car continually going up and down. My thoughts were that the headlight self leveling had a problem if it has one, but the lights lifted up and down fine on the switch it just became a problem while driving.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
I take it from your description you have "normal" halogen headlights that have a manual adjustment for height as opposed to cornering Xenon's.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to assume none else has had an issue like this so here goes, my question is if it's a headlight adjustment motor fault, are there 1 or 2 motors and if so where are they located( would assume near the lights) or could it be the headlight level regulator being as both headlights move up and down continually. As the Hood said they are normal halogen headlights.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that, so I have to assume there is one in each headlight so if both are moving I'm thinking it might be more like the level regulator, I've been going through the technical forums and I'm up to page 40 where someone had an issue with a broken headlight adjuster arm.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Have you checked for a loose connection or faulty switch?

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
I don't know if/where the sensor is for halogen headlights is, but with xenon headlight there is a sensor on the rear suspension. If the halogen is the same perhaps the sensor has been dislodged or knocked. With the xenon sensor it has to be moved to replace the rear springs so maybe a look underneath around the rear suspension would be worthwhile.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
I don't know if/where the sensor is for halogen headlights is, but with xenon headlight there is a sensor on the rear suspension. If the halogen is the same perhaps the sensor has been dislodged or knocked. With the xenon sensor it has to be moved to replace the rear springs so maybe a look underneath around the rear suspension would be worthwhile.
If he has normal manual adjustable headlights (switch on dash) would there be a sensor?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, I'll have to crawl under and have a look at the rear suspension for some kind of switch.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MuddyJim, I know I have a manual control but the lights won't settle, they keep continually lifting up and down.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I understand that, but IMHO there will not be a sensor. As suggested before, I would check the wiring to the headlight level adjust control pot on the dash.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
So if the car goes faster the light rise, and slowing down makes them fall. If you drive in a lower gear, do the lights rise at a lower speed? e.g. 40 mph in 6th,but 35 mph in 4th

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
So if the car goes faster the light rise, and slowing down makes them fall. If you drive in a lower gear, do the lights rise at a lower speed? e.g. 40 mph in 6th,but 35 mph in 4th
On manual lights the aim adjustment is manual from a control on dash, no auto element incorporated between them, that is only needed for Bi Xenon lights on the Yeti.

Reactions: Dutchman

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
Just parked up you can see the lights going up and down.
That very much sounds like the there is a fault between the rotary control on the dash and the motors in the lights.
I suspect the first port of call is going to be check what fault codes there are.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I not tried to see if any codes come up, I wasn't sure if any would, as the lights work, but don't want to settle.

·
Administrator
14,604 Posts
On manual lights the aim adjustment is manual from a control on dash, no auto element incorporated between them, that is only needed for Bi Xenon lights on the Yeti.
My thoughts were wandering towards voltage rather than auto adjustment.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts