Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2017 yeti outdoor. Because it has the headlamp adjuster on the dash it must have the standard lights and not the self levelling type. Using the adjuster seems to make no difference. Is it supposed to alter the main beam and the dipped beam or just the main beam.
I have no problem with the main beam, it is very good but I find that on dip the cutoff is very sharp and does light the road very far ahead.
Anyone else find this?

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
The adjustment operates slowly not in time with the adjuster wheel, stand a bit away from somewhere to aim at like a garage door and try adjusting them, giving time tor the motors to operate.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
712 Posts
Just in case you didn’t know, (-) is the highest setting and (3) is the lowest.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update! I tried the lights against a garage door and there was no movement at all.
I have had a good look inside the lamps via the round access caps and there are no motors that would make the adjustments. Checked the wiring and there is only enough wires to work the actual bulbs. The only adjustment is with the white sockets that set the lamp positions when they are originally set up or if adjustment was needed at a MOT.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for that.
I will check again but fairly sure nothing like that is in the housing.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Is there a chance that at some point in the car's past, its headlamps have been replaced by cheaper, non-adjustable units? E.G. after minor front-end damage, etc.?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a chance that at some point in the car's past, its headlamps have been replaced by cheaper, non-adjustable units? E.G. after minor front-end damage, etc.?
A good point, but no these are the original lamps.

However, thanks to the link by SnowGood I have managed to find, with the help of a small mirror the motor but can’t see how they are wired. Whether they are working is another matter, seems unlikely that they would both fail but it is possible.
The whole reason for this query is that I find, when on dip beam, the cut off is very sharp and low so not much road is illuminated ahead.

·
Administrator
15,096 Posts
The height is maintained by a sensor on the rear suspension. Has any work been carried out on the rear end, new springs perhaps? When my rear springs were replaced, the sensor was moved out of the way. Also are you sure you do not have them set in "touring mode", that flattens the beam.

·
Administrator
5,258 Posts
Isn't the sensor only fitted when the car has self levelling headlamps? CFC doesn't have this feature on his Yeti.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
Correct! On lesser specced Yeti, like mine, the headlamp level is set by a rotating thumbwheel type switch on the dashboard. Just to the right of the steering column and impossible to see when seated in the driver's seat. manual/human control. No level sensing devices on the rear suspension for the plebs. :(

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In the course of fault finding re. headlamp levelling I checked fuses with a multimeter. None found blown but fuse listed as 14 top left has no power going to it. It is listed as central control unit engine control unit, if this is correct I would expect it to be live.
I tested with engine running and lights on.
Anyone have any idea what this fuse is supposed to do?

·
Premium Member
6,191 Posts
Have you checked fuses in engine compartment.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All good there, just don’t understand why this fuse has no power going to it.

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
In the course of fault finding re. headlamp levelling I checked fuses with a multimeter. None found blown but fuse listed as 14 top left has no power going to it. It is listed as central control unit engine control unit, if this is correct I would expect it to be live.
I tested with engine running and lights on.
Anyone have any idea what this fuse is supposed to do?
You have realised that the fuse box diagram in the Handbook has to be turned upside down for a RHD Yeti?

·
Registered
712 Posts
Fuse 14 is top left as CFC said.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I do, I am using the printout from this forum. I am not suggesting this fuse has anything to do with the headlamp levelling issue but I don’t know what it is there for, and why it has no power connected to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts