Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks
I have recently purchased a three year old Yeti a super little car as we all agree. (On this forum anyway)
But my previous car had xenon headlights. Now the poor little Yeti is only blessed with standard halogen lights on the SE model which mine is. So having just nearly left the road having been approached by a range rover possibly on full beam with xenon projector type lights which totally blinded me got me thinking!
As I understand it the law is that car headlights have to be a maximum of 60 watts this was decided back in the days of standard bulbs. So who decided that mercury arc lamps which is what xenon headlights really are could be used as car headlight? Alright the power consumption is about 35watts but the light output is considerably more than a halogen bulb of 55/60 watts. Now I realise progress has to be made but unless all cars are fitted with xenon lights they are a considerable risk to poorer motorists who cannot afford xenon on their new vehicles.
What does everyone thnk?

·
Premium Member
5,336 Posts
The light output has got nothing to do with the law, and it would be almost impossible to measure without laboratory standards of equipment. There are far too many variables invloved.

And to be honest it doesn't matter you have fitted you can still be blinded by other peoples lights.

If you wish to improve your lights then many of us recommend Osram Nightbreaker Plus or their Phillips equivalent bulbs.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've been running Nightbreaker+ bulbs since I got my Yeti last September, and am a firm believer that you can't have enough light when driving at night.Having seen the link to the Nightbreaker Unlimited bulbs, have immediately ordered a set.
The Plus bulbs are very good, if you haven't got Xenons, and I am expecting the Unlimited set to be even better.
Should get them in a couple of days, and when fitted I will post again to let everyone know how they perform.
It gets pretty dark away from the urban areas in my part of North Somerset, so I have always looked to get better illumination for my cars and bikes when I was still motorcycling.

Edited by: Tim Jeal

·
Registered
60 Posts
hello
can any one tell me how to set the following lamp/corner
thanks ahead
p.s. i own 2012 skoda yeti 1.2tsi ambition

·
Registered
94 Posts
yos1111. Can`t answer your question mate but at least I can say welcome to the forum!
You might be the first member from Israel as well!

Why don`t you get a few photos of your Yeti taken, with suitable touristy-type backgrounds, and post them on here for us all to see! I would look forward to seeing them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Go to Main Menu.on matrix.
Scroll down to assistants
Bend lighting comes up with tick box.
Press thumb wheel to set on or off with tick.
Hope this helps you.

·
Administrator
14,850 Posts
Eurocarparts have an offer on the Nightbreaker bulbs, don't go by the prices on the home page, the offer prices appear as you get to the actual bulbs. Not sure how long the offer is for, I have used them and their service is good, you choose delivered, or collect if you have a local branch.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/upgrade-headlamp-bulbs/searchkeyword/unlimited

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tim if we are both in Somerset we had better wave rather than flash!

Edited by: grimrecruiter

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello AgainThank you for your comments. I have dashed out and bought some Osram Night Breaker plus "gold" bulbs. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Every Yeti needs these (unless you have the up market lamps) fitting these bulbs makes it safe to go out at night!
They are a bit fiddly to change. Here is how I did it. Start at the drivers side you can almost see what you are doing at this side. Remove the plastic cover at the back of the headlamp about quarter turn anticlockwise note top is marked top for replacement. Carefully pull off the bulb connector three wires go to it. Move the connector out of the way of the bulb. The bulb is held in with a spring clip arrangement it is not obvious how to release the clip and one worries about breaking something! At the top of the clip the wire forms a loop with square corners gently but firmly press this loop down towards the base of the bulb you will find the clip will release its self and swing down clear of the bulb.
Carefully lift the bulb out of the headlamp noting that the big ear on the bulb goes to the top.
Take the replacement bulb and looking into the headlamp from the front guide it into the hole in the reflector making sure the three ears locate in the slots in the reflector. Holding the bulb in place swing up the spring clip and push quite firmly on the wire loop towards the front of the car it will click into place. Holding the bulb try waggling the bulb by its connection prongs it should be firmly held in place. If it appears to rock side to side make sure both sides of the clip have clicked into place. Push on the connector firmly, Replace plastic cover. Job done. At the other side take the top of the fuse box off, two sliding catches, it helps access. Not so easy at this side but having practised on the drivers side headlamp its not so bad. Please note if you break anything don't blame me.
Best wishes John

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Thanks johntech, that was a good write-up.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Oh ohhhh! I might be in trouble
. While I have fitted Night Breakers to my previous cars I haven't fitted my spare set to the Sketi as yet. After reading all about them again I got a bit excited and bought some more!! Twice!!!
I bought some Night Breaker Golds and some Night Breaker Unlimited's. Now I have 3 sets of bulbs
How do I break it to the missus
that I have just spent $80 on TWO extra packs of headlight globes?
And which ones do I fit?

Ohhh dear, the dilemma of it all.

Any (polite) suggestions?

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
394 Posts
@plbxr - she's probably forgotten you have the old set, fit the new most expensive set, and put the other set in the glove box, "oh, they are an insurance policy my dear, I didn't buy the dearest for spares". If that don't work get some ear defenders, pity your not in the UK I'd have given you some as I use loads....
@jontech - nice write up, don't you have to be careful not to touch the glass part with your bare hands these days as the oil from your skin can lead to premature failure? I always hold the metal bit or get some clean tissue if I need to touch the glass.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes you are right!Forgotten about that. They always made a fuss about halogen bulbs don't touch the glass with bare fingers and if you do use a clean cloth to wipe them. Some even came with little condoms on to keep them clean!
Funny thing is with these these Osram bulbs I didn't see any warning perhaps the germans assume you know about these things!
Good advice many thanks John

·
Registered
211 Posts
For several years now, I have used Nitrile disposable gloves when replacing bulbs. They avoid the problems of finger printing the envelope, and stop you getting your hands too dirty at the same time.Any type of thin disposable glove would do, but the Nitrile ones have the advantage of not being powdered so that avoids dust contamination on the bulb as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts