Yeti Owners Club banner

61 - 80 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Angela, your dealer sounds good, I was wondering who it is? my original question was about the pre-sale check, if they really actually did it or took any notice of it if they did so it sounds like yours do. ?
Hi Didne,

I'm buying from Birchwood Skoda in Eastbourne.

Have been back in touch with the dealer today for you to clarify how the pre sale checks work and he said:

"The service, parts and labour are all at our cost as it is part of our standards to make sure you get the best most reliable car."

• So following the pre sales checks, if it doesn't pass, then the car will be put through a service and fully road tested prior to collection to ensure it's up to standard.
Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
Our car is always garaged but I told the insurers it was stored off-road on the drive. This is just in case I ever leave the car out at night, for example when painting the garage floor, so if it's stolen then there is no 'wriggle room' for them.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
A growing problem around here seems to be catalytic converter theft, so a garage would be good in that instance.
You never said you had moved to central Liverpool Derek! :D:ROFLMAO::cry:

Difficult to cut off a diesel Yeti, as it is integrated with the DPF and tucked up hard to reach between the engine and the bulkhead. But on a design where the cat is under the floor, all it needs is a jack and some wide jawed bolt croppers.

At the price that can be had for “scrap” cats for recovery of the precious metals they contain, I’m not altogether surprised. I guess cat theft has replaced spare wheel theft from French cars that had the spare slung beneath the boot floor in a wire cradle. I had two of those nicked when I lived in t’south of England. Both from car parks, rather than home. So garaging the car would have made no difference.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Hi Guys.
Sorry for prolonged absence. Been Sulking ☹

Angela, thank you for getting in touch with your dealer for me reg the pre sales check That was very kind of you ?. Also for clarifying the sector 75 thing - I hereby sit corrected.

Monkster thanks for your support too, that’s lovely to hear.

And thank you everybody else for your thoughts on garages. Robjon, you seem to be the only one garaging your yeti. Curious as to what size garage you have (size does count !)

When I last saw Keith, my lovely mechanic, he was half way thru replacing the catalytic converters on a fortwo Smart Car, one of three which had been targeted the previous night. One of the other little victims was in the small public car just opposite his workshop, looking v sorry for itself, with various other bits missing too ?. Hence my fears. I suppose I’ve been spoilt rotten. ‘Oooh, it’s not often you see a car in a garage these days’ has been the response of just about every gas meter reader and electricity meter reader and every RAC man (not too many) who’s ever had cause to peer inside our garage. 1999 Nissan Micras fit. But theyre getting a bit thin on the ground. And they’re tricky for sleeping in the back of. What I’m beginning to realise is that I don’t think anything else does fit.

Colin, thank you for trying you reactivation out on my thread, I’m honoured, glad it worked for you ?

Still thinking it all over. Glad you’re there

Luv n Stuff

Didne xxx

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Flintstone, what’s this ’Bob’s Club’?
Marstons Brewery is right in my neck of the woods, in fact I could walk there.
I might have to if I don’t get a new car sorted out soon...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Robjon, you seem to be the only one garaging your yeti. Curious as to what size garage you have...
Hi DidneYeti

With garage doors open, the width of entrance to my garage is 83"
The width of a Yeti including wingmirrors is 77"
i.e. 3" of clearance on either side

My garage opens up to 107" behind the garage doors. With Yeti inside the garage and with Yeti's door opened as far as the garage will allow, I have a minimum gap of around 20" to squeeze through in order to get into the driver's seat.

The problem is that the garage was built at a time when cars were significantly smaller (Think Austin A35, Morris Minor). Over the years, cars have become progressively larger and many newer cars will not fit into an average garage. As a measure of this, the latest incarnation of the "MINI" Clubman is actually three inches longer, and one inch wider, than a Yeti ?

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Flintstone, what’s this ’Bob’s Club’?
Bob’s Corner and Bob’s Club were named in honour of a former member “Bob Dog”, who was very good at spotting any accidental innuendo or double entendre in postings. Regularly commenting on them with a wry, witty little additional side comment. So by putting a light hearted smile on many a member’s faces. Perhaps the Frankie Howerd character of Yeti Owners? (If you remember the latter’s TV show called “Up Pompei” you’ll get the gist perfectly).

Bob’s Corner is a notional “naughty step”, to where members who overstep the realms of decency or decorum in a public forum, can be temporarily banished for a variable period. There is a group of stools there, brought by members who have been sent from time to time. Then left for the use of other members who may need them during their sojourn. It can be a lonely place sometimes, at others quite busy. The only unbreakable rule is bring your own beers. Although sharing of those with long-term residents is always welcome.

Bob’s Club is a discussion thread created more recently, within the “Idle Chit Chat” category, where members can swap stories, share jokes (risqué or otherwise), sometimes of a politically incorrect nature, or generally get a little out of line, without fear of recrimination. Mostly it’s an Adults Only zone, but nothing illegal or too offensive. People who are not “Broad Minded” or are easily offended are advised to stay clear however. Benny Hill would be an honorary member if he was still with us.

The Hood or Snowgood should please correct me if I’ve got that wrong at all. Or anyone please refine the definitions where required.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Administrator
4,870 Posts
If Bobdog were still here, he would probably have made something of your mention of stools. Come back Bob all is forgiven (well almost all :) ).
Well he would have gone through the motions.

As for banishing members to the (virtual) Bob's Corner I have found that most residents have volunteered!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Well he would have gone through the motions.
The thought of that kind of stool being “for the use of members visiting” Bob’s Corner made me :D till I :cry:. Wonderfully flexible language, this English she is?

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
I've just posted a quip in Bob's Club to indicate the level of humour to be expected ie fairly low.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hello Again All !

Well, I’ve been thinking this all over.
The garage really makes a big difference to me and I’ve finally come to the realisation that Absolutely Nothing is going to fit in it. At least not anything without seats practically on the floor which my 88 year old mum will never be able to get into let alone out of. My big hopes with the Yeti lay in it being narrow enough, but since it isn’t it puts me back at square one. Before discovering the Yeti I was looking at Citroen Berlingo. I’m so, so sorry, I realise I have probably just offended the vast majority of you. But since neither will fit in the garage, and the Berlingo has more space to hold a disabled scooter which I think my mum will probably need in the next couple of years, I think it will probably win. I do recognise that it’s probably the sensible choice. It’s just that I’ve fallen for the Yeti big time, and not for the Berlingo. But I’m really trying to let my head rule here, not my heart.

Anyway, I’m looking at what’s available and have come across a number of Berlingos (sorry!) which are listed as showroom condition as either ex demo or pre registered with just the delivery mileage on them, frequently around 10 miles, occasionally around 100 miles, but with number plates indicating they are 6 months or a year old, maybe 18 months sometimes. Flintstone, I wonder where these models fit on your ‘beware of low mileage’ spectrum? Are they to be avoided too? I’m sorry to bring the wrong car into this forum, but you seem to know what you are talking about. Anyone else out there have experience of ex demo or pre reg cars like this?
Thankyou all, and sorry to offend, Didne xxx

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
All depends on how they’ve been stored during the idle period. May well be fine (or as fine as Berlingo can be?). Only one way to find out for sure - try one. You’ll not know till around 6-12 months after purchase if the items I would be wary of have been affected. Provided you still get a 3-year warranty you should be safe. Although warranties usually run from the date of first registration. That’s another reason pre-reg cars that have been stuck on a forecourt for a while get sold at a hefty discount. Which can make them very good value for the risk involved.

If the dealer selling the car / van now is the same one who pre-registered it (may not be?). Try to haggle for a warranty extension from the dealer, to give you, the real first purchaser, the same duration as the original manufacturer warranty. And if forthcoming, get that in writing, with start and end dates clearly stated. So when you need to claim on it, the people at the dealer then, who will likely / possibly not be the same people who are selling you the car now, have less get out of jail free potential. If the dealer is as keen to shift metal as it sounds, to get a car off their books, they should be prepared to give you the extended warranty thrown in. Make sure it still is same terms as original warranty though! Not a typical “extended warranty” that excludes many of the expensive components covered in the original. As a buyer prepared to take a pre-reg stuck car off their hands, you have more bargaining power than you may realise at first?

Good luck with the Berlingo. I can understand your reasoning. Some owners seem to love them. Others say they live up to their manufacturer’s reputation for build quality, or lack of. The fact that there are so many pre-reg’d cars still unsold, may or may not be an indication of the market’s perception?

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Think of it perhaps, like the cars that British Leyland used to have in the 80s, parked up for 12-18 months on a disused airfield or two in Oxfordshire, until they could be sold at massive discounts. We all know what reputation those cars acquired. Yes - I had an Allaggro. :(

With that warranty I’ve suggested though - perhaps worth the risk?

Haggle hard. They’ll be desperate to move a lump of metal that has been stuck for 12-months. Even be prepared to walk away. Then go back near the end of the month when they are more desperate to meet their sales targets, and ask if they’ve thought about improving what is included in their offer to you.

If a Yeti won’t fit your garage, a Berlingo definitely won’t. Just think of all that new found space to store “stuff”. Like mobility scooters? You’ll likely find it fills up quicker than you expect?

Also remember that there’ll still be Yetis around when you perhaps don’t need the Berlingo so much any more? Sad thought though that may be :( :cry:

·
Administrator
14,193 Posts
Years ago my wife and I had a look at a Daihatsu Terios it was a small 4x4 with a raised seating position. We didn't buy one because it was too narrow, our shoulders almost touched. All cars get bigger as they are updated but it might be worth having a look at one of those

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Didn’t Clarkson “test” a Terios? A red one. He painted a fox tail on the back, then went cross country in it. In a fake fox hunt? Till his Range Rover caught it and chewed it to bits? Or it got stuck in a field? One fate or the other?

Yes they were small and tall. Doubt you would get a mobility scooter in the back of one though?

Either way, very few of them around methinks? The

·
Premium Member
5,066 Posts
Some friends had a Terios and quite quickly changed it for a Panda 4x4. There was more room in the Panda!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Hi DidneYeti... I can understand your disappointment at the garage being too small for a Yeti, and I agree that if the Yeti won't fit there's no way a Berlingo will! If your next car DOES have to live outdoors then it could still be a Yeti, but if practical considerations such as mobility scooters are a consideration then a Berlingo, being slightly larger, may fit the bill - as would the Peugeot equivalent. Many of these have been converted very well for those with mobility problems.
As you might expect, you won't find too many Berlingo lovers on here, but I'm one, and have had many years of reliable service from it. Like any car you can get good 'uns and bad 'uns. Choose carefully and you shouldn't be disappointed. I'm not au fait with recent engine options on the Berlingo (ours is a 2006 car) but petrol models are few and far between.
Good luck with your search!

·
Premium Member
1,556 Posts
My wifes Citigo was nearly 6 months old when we bought it with 25 miles on the clock. An absolute bargain compared to the cost of an unregistered version, and appears and drives as a brand new car. The real risk is the one year old car with perhaps 500 miles on it which has been to the supermarket or perhap just to church on a sunday!

Reactions: Flintstone
61 - 80 of 97 Posts