Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. We have just become proud owners of a Yeti Elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG (Auto). We've had it a week and we think it's fantastic! We traded in a Discovery 3 (just under 5 years old) which was also a fine vehicle but very expensive to run and weighed 2.5 tons. Can't believe (after that) just how responsive and lively the Yeti is. But it also feels very secure indeed on the road. We have put Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 4X4 winter tyres on - we had them on the Land Rover (in a different size of course) and they are fantastic in either ice or snow - they make a really big difference. We are considering making small sacrificial offerings to the Snow Gods so we can try the Yeti out. Where we live is quite remote.

In the summer we will be towing a small caravan - an Eriba Troll 530, which the Yeti will manage with ease. Too early to give any data onfuel consumption but initial indications are good. Certainly way better than the Disco (27mpg and 22mpg towing) anda year'sVED (road tax) on the Yeti (£175) is rather less too (it was £495 on the Discovery last year!!!).

We ordered the Yeti on the 3rd September 2013 and the estimated delivery was early December. The order was for the older model and the price fixed in the contract as was the very pleasing trade-in on the Land Rover. The car arrived on27thDecember(so not too much of a slip); it is the new model and we collected it on 3rd January. It has now done 170 miles. We are delighted with it.

The supplying dealer was Telfords of Carlisle and we have also been extremely pleased with them, both on the sales and the workshop side. We already have a 3 year old Fabia and we have found Telfords excellent in all respects.

Finally, very pleased to be on this forum! Happy New Year to all!

·
Administrator
5,157 Posts
Happy New Year to you too Einstein, and welcome to the forum. Hope that you continue to enjoy your Yeti, it sounds like it will be very much at home in your part of the country.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
Welcome Einstein. It's good to see that you are happy with your choice of a Yeti.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi and welcome. This is a friendly forum and has very helpful members on here.I'm a bit like you in changing from Land Rover to a Yeti. I'm getting a showroom model (old style) in 3 weeks time, and yes I'm counting the days.
Main reason for my change is the costs, road fund is £475 + servicing at £650+ and around 20mpg.
To be truthful, I have been looking at a Yeti for at least 3 years asI do like the shapeof them.
Have fun with your new friend.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tick Tock - of course it does depend on what you want to do with the vehicle but I don't think the Yeti will disappoint you, even after a Land Rover. In fact you should find that it's a lot more responsive and lively - fun to drive and still very capable. You're right - my last road tax was £475 not £495 as I posted. But I reckon that will be over £500 before long.

We will have lots of fun in our Yetis, I'm sure! Now - where's that snow!!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Welcome aboard Einstein from a fairly new member myself.

I too in a previous life was a Disco owner however my average mpg rarely if ever bettered 25mpg with no towing involved due to the local topography. So I am pretty relived 500 miles in to be getting about 40 so far from my Yeti.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Hi all, had Yeti a week today and am seeing 40 plus in fuel usage, had a 1.8 auto petrol Astra previously which was thirsty with only a 4 speed box so I am well happy. I would suspect the average to do up a little when the engine loosens up as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi all. Great to see your comments and thought I'd add my own. I have just driven to Austria (Tirol, near Kitzbuhl) in my 18 month old 2.0 Tdi 4 x 4 SE+ DSG (my second Yeti). We've averaged 47 mpg and at times have cruised at an easy 75 even with a fairly big roof box. This is the third time it's made the trip.

We're just hoping for snow a) to ski on and b) to have another go with the Avon Ice Touring tyres on real snow.

How can anyone not be impressed?

John

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wow, sounds like good fun, you must have seen may great sights on the trip?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hi Einstein,
Welcome to the forum.
I've had my 2wd 2.0 litre diesel since October and have covered nearly 5000 miles. So far on a brim to brim basis my average mpg is a smidgin over 50 - the maxidot readout is about 5% optomistic showing a calculated weighted average of 52.6. On our latest journey to Belgium with 4 up plus luggage and mandatory return with wine etc. we averaged 52mpg with speeds set on cruise of 75 mph in the UK and 85 mph on the continent (when weather allowed).
I'm sure will see a vast difference compared with you LR. Enjoy your new beastie.
Shanco.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. Yetis are great cars. As I said before, this is my second. We've just driven along the Brenner autobahn into Italy today. The DSG gearbox is tremendous.

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello and welcome to this friendly forum. I ordered my new Yeti (Outdoor SE Greenline, Candy white) in late November and expect to take delivery late March/early April. I'm trading in a year-old Octavia Hatch Elegance which I've been very inpressed with, but I just fancy a higher ride and a new toy. I've been particularly impressed with the MPG on my 1.6TDi, Elegance, and averaged an indicated 60.1 on a drive down from Zeebrugge to the Algarve last Summer, mainly on cruise control at 70-75 mph. The challenge now is to see if I can improve on that with the Yeti this coming Summer. Happy motoring!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Einstein said:
""Hi everyone. We have just become proud owners of a Yeti Elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG (Auto). We've had it a week and we think it's fantastic! We traded in a Discovery 3 (just under 5 years old) which was also a fine vehicle but very expensive to run and weighed 2.5 tons. Can't believe (after that) just how responsive and lively the Yeti is. ""
Another welcome to the forum Einstein. I spend about 6 weeks a year in Cumbria as a tourist staying mainly in the Marina near Bowness. I should have my new "baby" by then, so if you see a candy white yeti as described below we must exchange customary waves!What colour and BHP is your new toy?
JOOKS

Edited by: JOOKS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To all who asked - my Yeti is an Elegance Outdoor 2.0 TDI CR 170PS 4x4 DSG DPF with added options of the "Rough road package" and Panoramic sunroof. Colour is Brilliant Silver Metallic. It has notched up 400 miles and needs a wash! I am over-the moon with it.

It's on Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 4x4 winter tyres but the snow gods are still not responding to my sacrificial offerings.

First brim-to-brim diesel refill yesterday suggests 42mpg but that's all with shortish trips in a very hilly area. The Disco would have recorded about 23mpg for the same pattern so I'm happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Einstein said:
Hi everyone. We have just become proud owners of a Yeti Elegance 2.0 TDI 4x4 DSG (Auto). We've had it a week and we think it's fantastic! We traded in a Discovery 3 (just under 5 years old) which was also a fine vehicle but very expensive to run and weighed 2.5 tons. Can't believe (after that) just how responsive and lively the Yeti is. But it also feels very secure indeed on the road. We have put Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme 4X4 winter tyres on - we had them on the Land Rover (in a different size of course) and they are fantastic in either ice or snow - they make a really big difference. We are considering making small sacrificial offerings to the Snow Gods so we can try the Yeti out. Where we live is quite remote.

In the summer we will be towing a small caravan - an Eriba Troll 530, which the Yeti will manage with ease. Too early to give any data on fuel consumption but initial indications are good. Certainly way better than the Disco (27mpg and 22mpg towing) and a year's VED (road tax) on the Yeti (£175) is rather less too (it was £495 on the Discovery last year!!!).

We ordered the Yeti

on the 3rd September 2013 and the estimated delivery was early December. The order was for the older model and the price fixed in the contract as was the very pleasing trade-in on the Land Rover. The car arrived on 27th December (so not too much of a slip); it is the new model and we collected it on 3rd January. It has now done 170 miles. We are delighted with it.

The supplying dealer was Telfords of Carlisle and we have also been extremely pleased with them, both on the sales and the workshop side. We already have a 3 year old Fabia and we have found Telfords excellent in all respects.

Finally, very pleased to be on this forum! Happy New Year to all!
Hello Einstein from another Cumbrian Yeti owner. I changed from a string of Freelanders and only wish I'd done so sooner not that there was anything wrong with them but just that the Yeti is equally as good but a lot cheaper to buy and run. I got mine from Telfords Carlisle but in 16,000 miles have only had to take it back for its first service. I travel all over the Lake District and the Yorkshire Dales as a building surveyor (somebody has to do it), the other day I went from Eskdale to Coniston over the top via Wrynose and it did everything it was supposed to, brilliant. Consumption is around 45 mpg (diesel) which considering I do little motorway driving is fine and a distinct improvement on the Freelander's 33 mpg. To date I haven't had to test it's 4x4 credentials in snow but certainly on slippery farm lanes it just gets on with it. What more could a man want? (polite answers only please!).

·
Registered
4 Posts
New owner trim North Cumbria trying to make contact. Also new to 4x4 and would like to try some gentle off reading
Tethera

1 - 20 of 31 Posts