Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1.2 TSI Yeti Elegance, July 2010 which has suffered from the Yeti sunroof leak!Not good when you live in Manchester but now the leak has been fixed (fingers crossed).
Just registered today and wanted to say hello to all!

·
Administrator
13,428 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum. My Yeti is the first car I have owned without a sun roof, my first I actually fitted myself, you haven't lived until you have cut a big hole in a brand new car with a jigsaw!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum, was the problem with the drain flaps that sit at the rear behind the tail gate, and have they cut them off because they slow the water flow when it rains hard causing a overflow into the cabin

·
Registered
77 Posts
They should have tested the seals in Manchester, better than a spray booth. I grew up in Cheshire and they get all types of rain there, heavy, misty, persistent etc. The great thing is the Yeti feels very secure and solid with great all round visibility so once the leaks stop it is a cracking car in wet weather. Enjoy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hiYou are spot on. The original rubber bungs with the so-called hinged
centres were removed and replaced with blanking plates. The drain was then taken down from the end of the drain channel, thro a bigger diameter pipe and out in the rear wheel arches. This arrangement
seems to be as near to the latest design as they can get. So far so good. It sounds like you may have some experience of this problem.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
peterbury said:
hi
You are spot on. The original rubber bungs with the so-called hinged

centres were removed and replaced with blanking plates. The drain was then taken down from the end of the drain channel, thro a bigger diameter pipe and out in the rear wheel arches. This arrangement

seems to be as near to the latest design as they can get. So far so good. It sounds like you may have some experience of this problem.
Hi not had the problem myself no sunroof
but after 2years on another forum and on my second yeti have found the answer to a lot of niggles

·
Administrator
4,549 Posts
Being born a Mancunianyou should all know that the difference between Liverpool and Manchester is that in Liverpool the tide comes in twice a day but in Manchester it comes down twice a day. It just the non-Mancunians that call it rain.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I too have owned a 2009 Skoda Yeti with a panoramic sunroof which I bought new in December 2009. After going to Scotland for the New Year and a night of torrential rain I opened the door in the morning to find that the rubber floor mats in the front and rear drivers side foot wells were about 1 inch under water. I tried to start the car but the battery was almost flat and wouldn't start the engine which was weird as this had never happened before. I managed to jump start the car and soaked up all the water but then noticed that the bluetooth for the phone no longer worked.I took the car to the supplying dealer to find the fault who told me that they had had a few Yetis in due to water leaks with the fault found to be due to leaking sunroofs and Skoda had now done a modification as the roof drains were not large enough to cope with the British weather! The modification also means re-routing the new drain tubes to a different outlet and not the existing ones near the front door hingesAfter a couple of days the dealer reported back that the bluetooth unit which is located under the drivers seat has been destroyed due to being under water and needed to be replaced and all the underlay has also got to be replaced as it was rotten due to the fact that it had been soaking for some time but not been spotted due to being so thick and under the carpet and rubber mats. As a "goodwill gesture" Skoda have offered to pay 20% towards the bill which the dealer has estimated I will have to pay £1300 due to being a huge job. After going to the dealer I find that my car has been gutted inside with no seats in and all the carpets and underlay taken out with the entire floor exposed down to the painted metal and they also say that the roof lining has also got to be removed so that the modified tubes can be fitted.I understand that my dealer, Claybank Skoda, who has been fantastic to deal with ever since I bought the car, has now got a lot of work to do but the 20% goodwill gesture is pathetic due to the fact that this fault should never have happened and is due to a design flaw which was rectified in later models.I have now told the dealer that I am extremely unhappy with the 20% gesture and am now waiting for a reply from Skoda.The Yeti has been a brilliant car so far with a good four wheel drive system which I need and up until this I would gladly replace it with a new one.I have test driven a Kia Sportage with all the bells and whistles (and plastic) but I much prefer my Yeti.But that 7 year warranty is beginning to look very appealing.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Hello, Alshut ... and so sorry to hear about your predicament. I think you are right to challenge the 20 per cent offered as it would appear, on the face of it, that if they have since modified the sun rooffor later modelsso as not to let in water, it is, indeed, a design fault ... and definitely not your fault. I hope you keep us updated as to the outcome, and I, for one, wish you well in getting the fault fixed and not at your expense!

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Keep pushing for more as this is a know problem and should have been sorted long ago, tell them you are thinking of replacing you yeti and this could make you go elsewhere.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Sorry to hear of your problem. Seems bl..dy wrong to charge you anthing. In fact free repair and some compo. would seem to be in order!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Been speaking to Skoda UK today. They have given me a case number and say they will get back to me within 48 hours. The dealer also contacted me to see if I was interested a new Yeti. They said they could only allow me 10k due to the work involved in repairing my leaking roof! The case continues.........

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also thought about replacing the Yeti and had a test drive in a Kia Sportage. Hated it! We have a 500 mile round trip to our caravan in Scotland. The Yeti does 53 mpg and when we get there it will pull my 17ft fishing boat in and out of the sea in soft sand with no effort. Brilliant machine. And yes the leak is rainwater and not sea water. ;-)

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, things seem to moving in your favour, and let's hope that continues. Keep the forum updated as 'it's all grist to the mill'!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi AlshutI resorted to direct contact with Skoda customer services to get my problems sorted. Stick at it, you should not be paying for a "latent defect". My new yeti ( '13) has the sunroof and so far no problems. As you say it's a great car. As a last esort, tell Claybank to re-instate it as it was and you can have the cover I bought, fits great, looks good and I'm only 10 minutes from Claybank.
Good Luck
Peterbury

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for that, I've just been down to Claybank to update them on my contact with Skoda UK. I've got to say that Claybank are a great company to deal with and I will not hesitate to buy my next car from them. Just waiting now for the reply from Skoda. My car looks very sad at the moment with all it's insides pulled out like a gutted fish!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes. you have my deep sympathy. Been there myself, you worry that it will never look the same again but it will. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts