Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,777 Posts
when does a village become a town?
"""Megalopolis - a group of conurbations, consisting of more than ten million people in total.

Conurbation - a group of metropolis, consisting of three to ten million people.

Metropolis - a large city and its suburbs consisting of multiple cities and towns. The population is usually one to three million.

Large city - a city with a large population and many services. The population is less than 1 million but over 300,000.

Medium city - a city would have abundant services, but not as many as a large city. The population of a city is between 100,000 and 300,000 people

Small City or "Borough"- a city that functions as a type of municipality or subdivision of a consolidated city.

Suburb - a mixed-use town or residential area, existing either as part of a city or urban area or as a separate residential community within commuting distance of a city.

Large town - a large town has a population of 10,000 to 100,000.

Town - a town has a population of 1,000 to 10,000.

Village - a village is a human settlement or community that is larger than a hamlet but smaller than a town. The population of a village varies; the average population can range in the hundreds.

Hamlet - a hamlet has a tiny population (less than 100), with only a few buildings.

Homestead or Isolated dwelling - a cluster of isolated dwellings normally occupied by a single extended family, normally would only have 1 to 5 buildings or families. """

·
Premium Member
Yeti S+ 2010 2.0TDi CR110 2WD Manual
7,039 Posts
To be a city you need a cathedral
That idea is very commonly held, and was the case for a long time, from the mid-1500s to the 20th century. Hence the term "Cathedral City". It is however no longer true. For example, Leeds is a "city", but has no cathedral of its own and no less than three within its wider diocese. (It does have the "Cathedral Church of St Anne", a large RC church, but that is not recognised as a cathedral by the CofE). Neither does Sunderland.

Closer to the truth is to say that to be a city requires a Royal Charter or even more correctly "Letters Patent" declaring the status with royal authority.
What makes a city?
or

I had no idea what defines a town over a village, or divides a village from a hamlet. Other than very approximate size. Although I suspect a deal of the overlapping terminology derives from whatever word to denote a collection of dwellings was subsumed into modern English, from the variety of other languages, including Welsh, Gaelic, Celtic, Norse, Danish, Latin, Saxon, French and others, that have variously been spoken or used through the history of the British Isles?

That is until Urrell posted #21. Pedants of the world unite?

Reactions: Urrell

·
Premium Member
5,746 Posts
Well the population of Llanidloes is around 3000 and the Royal Charter we hold states we are a town. Therefore we are a town.

·
Administrator
5,707 Posts
Bit of a myth that a city has to have a cathedral. There are 18 cities without a cathedral in the UK:
Bath, Brighton, Cambridge, Hull, Lancaster, Leeds, Newry, Nottingham, Plymouth, Preston, Salford, Southampton, Stirling, Stoke, Sunderland, Swansea, Westminster and Wolverhampton.

Towns and villages are not clear in distinguishing them either. Does a town have a market granted by charter? That doesn't work for our village which had a market charter from some time in the 1200's though the market is long gone. A town will have a Town Hall but I expect that comes after the status of town is somehow determined.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
Near to us Boston is trying to become a city, they don't have a cathedral but they do have a Stump :oops:

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
Near to us Boston is trying to become a city, they don't have a cathedral but they do have a Stump :oops:
Presumably not the equivalent of St Kevin's stump, as featured in Father Ted, which actually was a stump.

·
Premium Member
6,777 Posts
Presumably not the equivalent of St Kevin's stump, as featured in Father Ted, which actually was a stump.
Not quite :)

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Grass

·
Premium Member
4,699 Posts
It's a beautiful church! Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
“The Village” was Portmerion. Where Patrick McGoohan was kept as The Prisoner No.6. By a large white squishy ball alien thing. Ruled by “the new No.2”. Still on my bucket list of places to visit. The hotel that is based on the seafront has extortionate rates however.

Newtown now has a by-pass??? :eek::oops:(y) OMG. That took a while! Shows how long since I was last through there on the way to places with forests. Spent many an hour in a queue to get west past Theater Hafren or south towards Llandrindod. One time I recall queued past McDonalds. I had time to nip in to order Big Macs for all the guys in the service van. Get served. Then come out with the supplies to find the van had moved forward all of six car lengths. Must take a look soon....
Passed it on the way to Porthmadog shopping yesterday, you can see it down the estuary when on the old toll route.

Been there a couple of times a good few years ago, great place.

Used to watch The Prisoner on tv as a kid in the 60's, was on on a Sunday afternoon i think, in them times often wondered where on earth it was!

·
Registered
2014 Yeti S 1.2TSI
19 Posts
Well the population of Llanidloes is around 3000 and the Royal Charter we hold states we are a town. Therefore we are a town.
Do they still do the ''everyone in fancy dress and hit the pubs day" in the summer. Not sure of the reason but a good time was had by all :) Went up there twice for that as a friend, originally from there and family were still there, and probably still are, insisted we went. Hangovers for everyone! (this was about 30 years ago mind you)

21 - 31 of 31 Posts