Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
Just taken delivery of a yeti - elegance 2.0 TDI DSG 4x4 on 14th Jan. Absolutely loving it.

One question hoping someone might be able to help with....

The MFD display between the rev counterand the speedometer shows a digital speed in km/h. The manual says there is a setting which allows this Alternative/ second speed to be changed to mph but I can't find it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Can it be fixed? or does the software need to be reinstalled by the dealership?

Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi don't know your location but in the UK it has to display kph because the speedo only has mph on it.

But it can be made to display mph if you can find someone who knows how to with a laptop and vags lead, the MFD needs changing to Australia then it will display mph, the dealer will not do this for you.

hope this helps with your problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it was up to Brussels we would all be using km/h.

As Wakev said this is not a fault it is there by design (and by law - I think). The MFD can be changed but think of your proposed future European Tour before you muck it about.

There has been much discussion on another site about what can be done to the software. In my opinion, unless you are an expert in VAG software, it is best to leave well alone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Wakev and Terfyn for you replies.
The manual suggests that the digital speed can beswitched between mph and kph but obviously not for the UK which is strange given we only use mph here!!! Why couldnt they put a dual speedo like other cars showing mph and kph so the digital could be what you wanted?!!

I am not likely to drive in Europe so would be happy if someone could change it - I am in Leicester...?

The guy from Skoda customer services told me today that cars in mainland Europe would have this option so wondering if there is a way of adding this option to the settings menu rather than just either mph or kph as Terfyn suggests. Would Wakev's suggestion of Australia enable the choice of switching between mph and kph as suggested in the manual?

If this was changed, would it affect the warranty?

Terfyn - could you possibly post the link to the discussion you mentioned please?

Thanks once again everyone

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi always happy to help fellow owners, I don't think it will affect the warranty as it is not like having a remap on the ECU.

here is a link to one of the discussions on this there are more but this one shows how the change looks on page 2 http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/177393-second-speed-indicator-on-yeti-information-display/page__hl__speedo+kph

Also a link to people in your area that can do VADS changes usually for the price of a pint or two http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/ Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks wakev, absolutely brilliant.
Had a look through the threads and so many people are happy with the changes.

Thanks for the map too - there is a guy in Leicestershire so hope he is still active on briskoda.

Will post updates here.

Wakev - why don't you post the links on this site in a help section for other people as well - looks like I am not the only one wanting to change the display...?

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi I hope this site will grow and if anyone needs help I will always try and help by looking for the solution, but to be fair to this fairly new site I try to keep the the links to a minimum or draw from my 2+ years of owning a 1.2tsi for 16 months and now a 110 4x4. This site could be good because all the threads are in one place and not regularly move to the off topic chat, or general chat or the tyre forum then you tend to miss things being posted, unless you have time to read through all the forums
So to anyone looking through this join up and ask away, I know others from the other site look in so they will help with any problems as well

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi
I find this issue a bit of a puzzle I wish you could change the digital read out to mph I returned to dealer but was informed it was not possible?
I have read the reasons why it has to show km/hr due to EU law this law must be open to interpretation as I have owned 2 renault scenics both with digital displays both only reading out mph.
May be a mass lobby of the dealers will solve the problem and they can provide a software re-write foc .
Regards

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi you will find that dealers will not do any VADS changes because of the warranty plus skoda will not let them, and because of the EU law on the KPH and MPH display.
The only way is to get someone with a laptop and leads to do it and only if they know how

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
ANTEOUS said:
Hi
I find this issue a bit of a puzzle I wish you could change the digital read out to mph I returned to dealer but was informed it was not possible?
I have read the reasons why it has to show km/hr due to EU law this law must be open to interpretation as I have owned 2 renault scenics both with digital displays both only reading out mph.
May be a mass lobby of the dealers will solve the problem and they can provide a software re-write foc .
Regards
The only place you could lobby is the EU Parliament. It is a legal requirement for all UK cars to show speedo readings in MPH and KPH. On most cars this is done by having both ranges on their speedos, but for some reason VAG bought a pile of sppedos with only MPH on them. Therefore the only way around it was to have the Maxidot showing KPH only.
The same "problem" affects several other models in the VAG range, including the Tiguan for example, but from my investigations it only seems to be Yeti owners who have a problem with it!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am a keen contributor to the Suzuki V-Strom forum and the speedo on that bike is accurate up to 30mph then gets wilder and wilder until an indicated tom (70 officer!) is a true 90. Someone in the States has produced a revised speedo face in MPH only which fits over the original one. One member took his bike for MoT and it was brought to his attention that t should read in both, EU wotsit....

Fly in the ointment: Father In Law has a Scenic which has an MPH only speedo, however it can be relatively easily altered to read km/h...

·
Administrator
14,607 Posts
Hi On the other forum mentioned by Wakev, it is mentioned that it is possible to make the car "Australian" using software and a laptop. Posts indicate that when this has been done there is the option of switching between MPH and KPH on the maxidot. This would suit me as we have relatives in germany so I would need to be able to register KPH when we go to visit. I must admit that I am begining to get used to the strange speedo arrangement. ButI would not get anything like that done before the warranty expires.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi guys,

Update -had a few tweeks done by Jonny5ive in Hinckley today- found him on Briskoda forum recommended by Wakev - thank you.

J5 was able to get the digital mph display, the needles sweeping (staging), and changed the coming/leaving home lights from xenon to fogs.

J5 is a really charming and friendly guy, and I can recommend him to anyone in the Leics & surrounding area who needs to use his expertise/services.

I shall certainly be asking his advice/help in future, and hope to get to one of the meets to catch up with him and meet other charming skoda owners.

Hi to tewebacca great meeting you too - shame J5 couldn't get your octavia sorted out.

Thanks once again J5

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Good to hear that you got it all set to the way you like it
, makes the yeti even more of a pleasure

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm probably adding to this after the event but maybe it will help. In answer to the question as to why a Renault Scenic only shows MPH I would assume that in the set up you will be able to switch that over to KPH if required, eg if you were going into Europe with your car. The problem with the Yeti is that the speedo display is not digital, it is fixed, and so can not be switched over.

I must admit that after 19 months of having a Yeti my eyes simply never go to the digital kph display so it is not an issue for me. Everyone is different though and so I am pleased to hear the situation has been resolved in this instance.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Geoffrey Green said:
Hi Wakev,Can you give me a contact in theEdinburgh area who can help me change Kph to Mph in the MFD?
Regards,
Geoffrey Green

Geoffrey you want to get rid of that email address for all to see and change your user name or that address will be unusable because of all the spam you'll receive.

Edited by: Urrell

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
Urrell said:
Geoffrey Green said:
Hi Wakev,Can you give me a contact in theEdinburgh area who can help me change Kph to Mph in the MFD?
Regards,
Geoffrey Green
Geoffrey you want to get rid of that email address for all to see and change your user name or that address will be unusable because of all the spam you'll receive.

Request sent to Mods to remove.
Geoffrey, try PM'ing Wakev.

Urrell,
You might be best removing it from the quote in your entry.

Edited by: SnowGood

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Geoffrey Green said:
Regards,
Geoffrey Green
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Have a look at page one of this tread, my post 4th one down, there is a link to a list of people and where they are, contact them via PM most work for beer tokens

Edited by: SnowGood

·
Premium Member
5,828 Posts
Can anyone point to the ACTUAL EU regulation that says speed display must show both mph and kph? Or is it like so many such supposed "EU laws"? One person says "its EU law" and everyone else believes them? We're so gullible in UK, we believe anything?

As a former Scenic owner of some 9 years, I can confirm the series 2 Ren-Oh display could be amended to show one or the other but never both. If you think there may be plenty "lost in translation" in the Yeti manual, you should try de-coding the Scenic Owners Manual? The destructions there for switching mph to kph and back simply didn't work.For 2-3 years I was amod on ScenicForums.co.uk, before that got cyber attacked by hackers and had to be taken down. I used to have the real Englishinstruction set for how to actually achieve the mph-kph switch as a text file, ready to copy and paste for every time the question got asked. Used to be a source of fun and amusement getting it to work while in the ferry loading queue! (Involved starting the engine half way through the procedure. Which made your fellow queue loiterers wonder what you were playing at?).

1 - 20 of 26 Posts