Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Have a 2009 yeti with 94K on the clock.Have only had the vehicle about a month and this is our first Yeti. Drives very well but have noticed when driving through lanes up and down hills etc that when just starting to squeeze the throttle say from 1000 rpm upwards there is a slight hesitancy around 1300rpm to 1500rpm and then all fine.
Any ideas please.

Phil

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
I had this on my older (140) diesel Yeti and no fault could be found. A friend had a Tiguan with the same engine and theirs did exactly the same, and there are reports across the whole VAG range of similar occurrences. It seems to be a strange quirk of the engine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've had three 2.0 TDI Yeti's, two from new (because they are so good to drive) and have had the same 'quirk'
on all of them - it it alway happened when just going over the brow of a hill - very used to it now though.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
I find it only happens when coasting down hill at a low speed.
Exactly and as others have said, it seems to be a "quirk" of the 2 litre diesel engine across the whole of the VAG range

Reactions: Trilux

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
Turbo Lag? The pause after a period of off-throttle or throttle closed running, before the turbo winds up enough rpm again and starts producing boost. Something one gets used to driving a turbo.

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Yes my 2010 yeti had the same issue

·
Registered
207 Posts
Like a couple of the posts both my 2Ltr diesels,a 140 & 170, had the weird drop off when going over a tight brow, like a humpback bridge or old stone bridge in a country lane, no issues up, down or on the flat. Peculiar sensation when first noticed, thought the engine had run out of fuel or simply just switched off.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Have You tried turning OFF traction control TCS. On hump back bridges etc the weight transfer changes and as the car goes light the TCS probably kicks in for a few seconds, same happens on very potholed and bumpy roads. Don't turn off on wet roads icy roads or if you are a driver who likes to throw your Yeti thru corners.

On smooth roads the hesitancy is unlikely to be the TCS

I know the start of this series of posts is old but people may still be seeking answers.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,553 Posts
If you have that problem see if it improves if the Air-con turned off.

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
A yaw sensor would be picking up side to side accelerations, as in when the car is thinking about starting to spin. Which is one of the factors that determines how ESP kicks in to brake individual wheels and prevent the spin.

The backing off when cresting a brow, is more of a vertical acceleration thing. My 2010 Yeti certainly had that as a mild, barely noticeable characteristic. As you crested a rise, if you very carefully did not adjust the pedal position, then the car would detect itself beginning to accelerate on the downhill side, and back off the power ever so slightly, but enough to be noticed, if really trying to detect it. Probably a little more than necessary. Given the pedal position is demanding the same power output or engine speed, the ECU is trying to maintain a constant speed, rather than allow the downhill slope to promote an acceleration.

Can’t say I’ve noticed the effect in the 2017 Yeti, but then I haven’t really tried to detect it either.

Reactions: Trilux

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
852 Posts
Can’t say I’ve noticed the effect in the 2017 Yeti, but then I haven’t really tried to detect it either.
Only ever noticed this on EA189 diesels, never noticed it on EA288 diesels

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
225 Posts
Like a couple of the posts both my 2Ltr diesels,a 140 & 170, had the weird drop off when going over a tight brow, like a humpback bridge or old stone bridge in a country lane, no issues up, down or on the flat. Peculiar sensation when first noticed, thought the engine had run out of fuel or simply just switched off.
Mine does the same as Magics.
Only going over hump back bridge.
Adding a touch more acceleration when on top of brow cures it.

Reactions: Flintstone
1 - 19 of 19 Posts