Yeti Owners Club banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts
What happened to the top of your Yeti’s rear bumper? Photo 1 in #16.
Looks like it has been quite severely squished in a rear end impact? Then pushed back out again to its original position, rather than been replaced? Lost most of its top surface, aft of the latch pin. Leaving the underlying impact absorbing foam exposed?
Or is it just an effect of the camera?

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
What happened to the top of your Yeti’s rear bumper? Photo 1 in #16.
I too noticed the bumper but then realised it's a reflection of the small branches of a tree or large shrub. :)

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I too noticed the bumper but then realised it's a reflection of the small branches of a tree or large shrub. :)
Ah! So it is a “camera effect”?
Can see what you say there. It’s that rectangular piece of seemingly intact top surface at lower left, where there are no reflections, that makes the rest look “broken”.
”Optics” eh? Isaac Newton wrote a book about them!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Ah! So it is a “camera effect”?
Can see what you say there. It’s that rectangular piece of seemingly intact top surface at lower left, where there are no reflections, that makes the rest look “broken”.”Optics” eh?
Yup, a camera effect not made by the camera. ;)

The rectangular piece is the shadow of the lower corner of the raised hatch. :cool:

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
2017 SKODA YETI 2.0l OUTDOOR SE DRIVE TDI SCR Colour Blue
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hi all....yep reflection of the neighbor's tree. ummmmm am now looking for some decent matts for the car....CAZOO replaced the complete infotainment head with a "new" one the "company" I purchased the spare tyre n jack from on EBAY don't want to know ....like wise EBAY.....I think this is the first time and last time I will purchase a car based on a tele advert.ohhhand if you want a spare tyre n a jack buyer beware at SKODA YETI 2WD 2009-2017 16" SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL JACK & SPANNER FREE P&P | eBay

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
Hi all....yep reflection of the neighbor's tree. ummmmm am now looking for some decent matts for the car....CAZOO replaced the complete infotainment head with a "new" one the "company" I purchased the spare tyre n jack from on EBAY don't want to know ....like wise EBAY.....I think this is the first time and last time I will purchase a car based on a tele advert.ohhhand if you want a spare tyre n a jack buyer beware at SKODA YETI 2WD 2009-2017 16" SPACE SAVER SPARE WHEEL JACK & SPANNER FREE P&P | eBay
I've still got a set of the original, almost unused carpets in my garage.

I can see no reason why that spare kit shouldn't fit a 4x4.
EDIT
This spare wheel is not suitable for ANY Yeti!!

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I can see no reason why that spare kit shouldn't fit a 4x4.
Except for the fact it’s a “space saver” with a mere 4.5” rim width and an even skinnier tyre?
Yes, the kit will fit in a 2WD or 4x4 boot, and the wheel bolt spanner will have a 17mm head socket, but the wheel is still far less safe to use to replace a punctured road wheel. Even though such use might be legal, as the ad explains.

As for “Buyer Beware” or “Caveat Emptor” in legal terms. It’s been consistently recommended in here for as long as I can remember (which means since 2015 according to the forum data and probably for some years before that if I looked), to stay away from ads that mention the words “space saver”. Those are a “don’t buy” in Which magazine terminology. Look instead for a 195/60 width and profile tyre on a 16” diameter wheel.

Looking back in this thread alone. Madasafish first asked about buying a “space saver” on 9th Mar, in#9. Respondents immediately warned against that idea, with reasoned arguments against, posted within 24 hrs in #10, 11, 12, 13 and 14. With Snowgood even showing an example of a recommended alternative on 10th Mar. Yet by 23rd Mar the report came back that a space saver wheel had in fact been purchased, against recommendations.

Sorry to sound like a preacher, but I don’t believe it is plausible to expect a sales platform like EBay, Amazon, Gumtree, Facebook, etc. or even the seller, to compensate you for selling you what you asked for. Even if that request was based on mis-informed search criteria. “Live and learn” as you said yourself, perhaps? One choice would be to keep the space saver and hope you never have to use it? Worst case you can still re-sell the purchased space saver on any sales platform. In the same way people sell clothes they’ve worn only once on Vinted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks for all the info.....now got the following coming up on the screen apparently something to do with adblue .......says I have 3000 miles before topping up but also has a min and max on the screen of 0.75 of a galon......whats all that about?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
The range figure is telling you that you have enough AdBlue/Diesel Emissions Fluid remaining in the tank, to last for approximately 3000 miles. Based on level of fluid in the tank and your recent rate of usage. Expect it to stay reading 3000 for some time, then jump down to 2500 after a while. The calculation can’t be super accurate, as the rate of use varies enormously depending on journey type undertaken, number of cold starts vs. continuous running, engine load and so on. So the range figure doesn’t attempt to show false accuracy, but moves in broad 500-mile steps instead. Giving you plenty of notice, when you’re going to need some more fluid.

I tend to replenish the Adblue in my Yeti when the range value gets down to around the 1500-1000 mile mark. At any convenient moment in that range. Simply because that means the quantity required to fill the tank will then be worthwhile the modest chore of adding more fluid.

The 0.75 gallons figure is just a suggestion how much space remains in the tank. About 3 to 3.5 litres at the current level. To give you a rough idea how much you will need to buy in.

It is one those ironies of life that if your car’s settings are arranged to show distances in miles and fuel consumption in mpg, then the computer also thinks you will want to see Adblue quantities in gallons. It‘s a feature of the UK’s schizophrenic attitude to metric and imperial units that Adblue happens to be sold in litres. Rather like buying and pricing fuel in litres, but still measuring its consumption in miles per gallon.

Compare it perhaps to the trip computer display telling you how many miles of range you have left in the fuel tank at any particular time? Just slightly more helpful by giving you a parallel indication how much you need to fill the tank.

Reactions: Llanigraham

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
hi guys n gals....just had 8 weeks off with hybrid hip replacement fitted....oh deep joy, any ideas on what coolant to top the yeti up with the current coolant is pink and what isthe best oil yo use?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
Coolant: G13
Oil: to VW 504 00/507 00.
G13. Tick :)
If the expansion bowl below the filler says G12, then worry not. G12 and G13 are totally compatible (both pink of differing intensity). Although looking at the OP vehicle details in #32, a 2017 Should have G13 printed there. Buy G13 from your local auto parts retailer for best prices. E.G. Euro Car Parts, GSF, etc. I buy 'ready mixed' at 50%. As buying concentrate and de-ionised water separately is a faff and very little cheaper. Specially in small quantities needed for a top up.

Look inside the filler. If there is a cylindrical plastic cage with small beads inside it, take that out and bin it. The idea was the beads contain silicates that leach out slowly and keep the levels in the coolant up to strength. So longer change intervals are possible. Problem is the plastic cages have a habit of splitting. Releasing the plastic beads into the coolant. Where they get circulated and tend to clog up some of the smaller passageways in the cylinder head. Best without it and stick to the traditional regime of changing the coolant every 3-4 years or so. Longer if you check coolant strength annually with one of these: Gunson 77105 - Dial Type Anti-Freeze Coolant Tester - Machine Mart - Machine Mart

VW 504 00/507 00. Tick :)
My choice is Castrol Edge FST (or Pro) 5w30 LL. The “LL” suffix is important, as that means it exceeds VW 507 for Diesel engines with DPFs (which need low SAPS). At the time these engines were being designed, developed and tested, VW had a technical and engineering collaboration with Castrol. So the engines and the oil formulation were developed together, to be totally compatible. (Also explains why the oil filler cap has "Castrol" marked on it ;) ). VW have since swapped allegiance to Fuchs, while Castrol have migrated to Renault.

A diet of nothing else but Castrol every 9000 miles has kept my 2010 Yeti sweet as a nut for 247,000 miles and counting. Its DPF still only on 25% Oil Ash Residue. Castrol Edge is not expensive if you buy from the right places.
Currently £6.25/litre here:
(I have 20 litres of this sitting on my garage shelf at the moment. Then I do have four of the cars cars I service, that each use this oil. :) )

21 - 34 of 34 Posts