Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the fuel showing a range of 15 miles tonight, ran out of bottle and filled up.
If I had been relying on the normal fuel gauge I'd have probably gone a bit further as it was still showing a couple of red bars.

How low can you go?

Has anyone been brave/stupid enough to let it go to zero?

I'm sure there would still be fuel in there.

Edited by: Nez

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
As far as air in the fuel line goes it wouldn't be a problem. Common rail systems are self bleeding. Just pour fuel in the tank and turn on the ignition for a few seconds before cranking the motor to let the pumps due their job.
When your dealing with up to 40,000 psi in the rails there is no room for tinkering with air bleeds. That pressure would slice a finger off.

·
Registered
730 Posts
MInes petrol, but I am of the old school, and never let the tank get below quarter full. I know there is the argument that all the sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank if you keep filling before the tank gets chance to filter it out via the fuel filter, but I always err on the side of caution.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
Not being a Yeti owner yet, I cannot say for sure, but on *most* cars, when the range shows 0 miles, there is still usually at least 30-50 more miles of fuel remaining.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sensor readings when the tank is almost empty are notorious for being unreliable! When it indicates 0 miles range, as 137699 has just pointed out, there is at least 30 miles or so of fuel remaining.
Audi, and I expect Skoda and Volkswagen as well, have built in an audible warning to indicate when you REALLY must put more fuel in but even that can go on for miles!

Jeremy Clarkson did a test on Top Gear and drove an Audi A6, I think, from London to Edinburgh and back on one brim-full tank! IfI remember correctly, the last 50 miles or so indicated 0 miles and the last 20 miles he had to put up the awful sound of the warning to FILL-UP coming from thedash-board!

Anyone else remember this programe? Probably on YouTube if I had time to find it.

Edited by: bwanamdevu

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi, I've done the same. I got down to 10 mile range although the gauge wasn't at empty. I bottled out & filled up. Only managed to get 53 litres in although having a 4x4 the tank should hold 60 litres.Might be braver next time.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
bwanamdevu said:
Anyone else remember this programe? Probably on YouTube if I had time to find it.
Yes I remember. I think his reaction was something like "...that is one incredible car..." or something similar. It had an inbuilt "hiccup" or "miss" as part of the software to warn that the fuel level was critically low. I remember you could hear the electric fuel pump screaming as he approached London
. Said if he ran out of fuel on a contraflow he would sack himself from the show.
There was also the economy run with the diesels where he took a Jag V6 diesel (the 2.7 L Peugeot unit) from somewhere in Europe to Blackpool. When he arrived the fuel gauge said Empty but he still had several gallons in reserve at the bottom of the tank.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
paulthepedant said:
I know there is the argument that all the sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank if you keep filling before the tank gets chance to filter it out via the fuel filter, but I always err on the side of caution.
I think that old statement is a remnant from a bygone era and even some mechanics have said that to me. All the sloshing that the fuel does as you drive along over bumps, around corners and during braking quickly mixes anything on the bottom of the tank and puts it into suspension. Anything heavy like rust particles are quickly vacuumed up by the pump intake and filtered, or excluded by the mesh pre-filter. Most vehicles have a fuel return line so the fuel is constantly being pumped and re-filtered as you drive along. With plastic tanks there are far fewer problems. There is some merit in keeping your tank fairly full...you will reduce the chances of water condensation droplets forming during humid conditions if your vehicle is not driven a lot. But even that is no big deal and quickly sorted.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
730 Posts
That makes sense I suppose, especially the bit about a plastic tank. I still feel more comfortable with at least a quarter in the tank, and, especially as we are now expecting a harsh winter (so I'm told) I usually keep the tank pretty full. That won't worry you Ausie lads & lassies, but we northerners know a bit about bad weather.

·
Registered
222 Posts
paulthepedant said:
MInes petrol, but I am of the old school, and never let the tank get below quarter full. I know there is the argument that all the sediment builds up in the bottom of the tank if you keep filling before the tank gets chance to filter it out via the fuel filter, but I always err on the side of caution.
I'm another of the 'old school' and never go below a quarter tank. I thought an empty tank would encourage condensation in the tank on cold days with an inevitable build up of water. Unlike a light aircraft there is no 'bleeder' tap on the fuel tank to check for water.

Shanco

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
It's a constant annoyance for me with my wifes' Hyundai. Low fuel level and parked for a few days between uses. I now just throw a cup of Isopropyl Alcohol (metho works too) in the tank every 6 months and she is good to go. It also works well for diesels...it's an old bush trick.

Edited by: plbxr

·
Registered
37 Posts
Other VW TDi cars that I've owned (admittedly with PD engines) have had a fuel lift pump inside the tank, these require fuel around them to provide cooling. I have no idea if the Yeti has the in-tank pump, but I never let mine drop much below 70 miles remaining on the maxidot.
Edited by: Dubster

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't understand why anyone would let their fuel tank go to zero. Why take a chance? There are loads of petrol stations around the place. Alright, if you live in the wilds there might not be so many but if the gauge is showing a quarter tankful there must be many opportunities of filling up.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
A 1/4
when it gets to 1/2 a tank SWMBO starts panicking and finds somewhere to fill it up

·
Registered
94 Posts
wakev said:
A 1/4
when it gets to 1/2 a tank SWMBO starts panicking and finds somewhere to fill it up

Okay, I'll put my hands up, so do I

·
Registered
471 Posts
How low can you go?

I know the definitive answer - 5 hours 34 minutes & 14 seconds as I was stuck in a massive carpark (M6) on the way back from the Lake District yesterday! Even took my dog for a walk up the "fast lane"! Sorry if this is somewhat - off subject!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I must admit I often go down to zero
It's 15 miles door to door (home to work) and I often set off with 30 miles left showing. I don't know about anyone else, but there are less and less petrol stations around these days and my local one is chocka in the mornings so I get it after work when it's a bit emptier. The petrol is a good few pennies cheaper towards home so I always get it there. I did loose my bottle once though and paid the price by filling up at the services on the M1

With my old Peugeot 206, I could get a good 20-30 mile on zero!!

·
Administrator
14,839 Posts
discosteve said:
but there are less and less petrol stations around these days

We have lost a few petrol stations as well, the price at our local BP appears to go up and down during the day (not aligned to supermarket times) and is cheaper mid afternoon. I had a Volvo 460 which went two hundred yards after fuel warning light came on!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
careful. as I found to my cost leaving refueling to the last mile can be a disadvantage.we had to get off the motorway and use a back street garage (sat nav) the garages fuel tank must have been low as we got a sh*t load of water in with the desiel.the sketi ran like it was on one cylinder half the time but by the time it was running like this we were over a hundred miles away from the place we got the fuel.I had to take it to skoda who were brilliant draining and cleaning and not charging. thanks skoda stoke for looking after us.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts