Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m having an interesting argument with my insurers - Saga.

The only time I have made a claim on my car insurance was in 1975. Some years ago, I took out a policy with Saga who at the time said their maximum NCD was 12 years despite the fact I had accrued 20+ years at that point. Sometime after they increased their maximum to 18 years, but only started that from 2013. In 2015 I decided to move to M&S because of a another large premium increase, this time 38%, despite not having accidents or change in circumstances. At that point they informed me I had 14 years NCD.

Now, my new insurer, M&S only has a maximum of 9 years NCD. I was with them for just under 2 years and sold my car. A few months later, in 2018, I bought my Yeti. Saga offered me a good deal so I went back to them. My renewal came up recently and they told me I had 11 years NCD. I argued that if they, Saga, told me I had 14 years in 2015 and had subsequently had 4 years (2 with M&S and 2 with Saga) all without a claim they should be giving me their new maximum of 18 years.

After many phone calls and emails they are refusing to do anything on the basis that I went back to them two years ago with 9 years NCD and so I am now only entitled to 11 years NCD.

For many years, I have had two cars and a boat insured with Saga and am a shareholder and I have not had an accident for 45 years. So much for loyalty.

Has anyone had something similar and any thoughts on how to sort this?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Yes i have had a similar experience with the NCD

One year i clicked on the go compare i clicked on the 20 year NCD box as i had never had a claim, the insurer i eventually went with was for 12 yrs max NCD i think.
On giving my last renewal as proof of 9 yrs they said that they would only give me the 9yr max.
I told them i had never had a claim but they wanted proof, they advised that if i had proof of 9yr max from 3 years before they would then have proof to then of 9 yrs + 9 yrs (the other now 3 to date) at the present time so they then would give me the max 12yrs.

I had to contact a previous insurer that i was with for proof, this to my amazement as i was no longer with them they gave me.

So from about 10-15 years ago i have kept every renewal so if 15 years ago i had 9 max i now have proof that i have 24 yrs NCD

·
Registered
516 Posts
Saga is meant to be a better deal for the over 50's but all the quotes I've had are too much. LV and even Direct Line are usually cheaper. It doesn't pay to be a loyal customer. Insurers would keep their loyal customers if they gave a free year after five years, if you never or rarely claim why wouldn't they want to keep you?

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
i went back to Saga this time after being with Churchill for about 4 years, Churchill matched best price for the last couple of times but would not budge this time.
I think i got it for around 50-60 pound cheaper.
Buy Churchill was covering basic Green Flag breakdown in there price, so i went straight to GreenFlag for £24

·
Registered
542 Posts
Trilux - I had the exact same problem, but I still took out a policy with Saga because their first year premium remained competitive despite the reduction in number of qualifying years of NCB. However, the second year premium increased by more than 30%. When I questioned this, an extremely abrupt Saga representative basically told me to take it or leave it. So I left it... and I took out an almost identical policy with another major provider (little red telephone) at significantly lower cost.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone. It seems to be the way Saga work. They entice you in with good quotes and then increase the premium between 10 and 40% each year. I always ring them up each year and generally, they will drop the premium to a more reasonable level. This year they are taking a harder line. I know other companies pull similar stunts but Saga do seem to be worse than average. I think this NCD stunt is all about getting less attractive quotes from other companies. I have already moved my wife’s insurance elsewhere and will be doing the same next year.

·
Premium Member
4,841 Posts
Funnily enough I've changed from Saga to LV this year as the Saga premium had shot up for no reason.

·
Premium Member
1,461 Posts
Just renewing my wifes insurance for her Citigo and Churchill was lowest known name quote. However in the small print it states they will not cover any claim where another insurance is available. Hence if I have an accident in her car, I would be expected to cover the third party claim part with my Yeti cpomprehensive policy, and hence claim on both policies. This is a similar clause that most vehicle hire companies use, hence why I will never again rent a van. Saga and similar are completely uncompetitive, and we never bother now with Direct line as you have to go through all the details and they are never cheaper.

Looks like we are going with "Quote me happy" who is £5 more but doesn't have this clause. We already insure our house with them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Funnily enough I've changed from Saga to LV this year as the Saga premium had shot up for no reason.
I made the same change about 3 years ago. SAGA really didn't like the fact that I'd had the TTRS engine re-mapped.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's a bit late now being as this thread is 28days old, but has anyone tried the RAC, I've been with them for 2yrs now and has the wife, they've bet any quote I've had for my last 2 cars.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The whole insurance thing is ‘interesting’. They all seem to base their premiums by putting emphasis on different aspects of car type/location/driver‘s age/mileage/record etc.

So for example, I have never had a good quote from the RAC and you have, and others on here have said that they never have had a good quote from SAGA, yet invariably I get a good quote from them (although they ramp the premium up quickly in subsequent years).

I had a Discovery for many years and the company I was with always charged me a very realistic premium. One year, they upped the premium by 50+% with no changes on my part. When I asked them why, they had suddenly decided that the car was a high risk of theft etc. I went elsewhere, the agent asked me what car I had. When I said Discovery, he answered “ooh, we like those” and gave me a really good quote.

Personally, I don’t think there is an easy answer to your question. I think each one of us has to shop around to get the best offer and there no companies which give the best quotes for everyone.

·
Administrator
13,429 Posts
There used to be an insurance company in Camberley (cant remember their name) but at the time my wife was driving a Volve, they said ooh! we like those people walk away from accidents.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
I was with RAC many years ago.
Every year now i just go on the go compare and get the cheapest quote, if it is not from who i am with and will not match it, i will change to the cheapest.

·
Premium Member
3,644 Posts
All our insurance is with SAGA and premiums are fixed for three years. Two years ago I looked on a comparison site, found the cheapest like-for-like premium, then contacted Chris Knott Insurance who matched the price. Unfortunately the next year , the premium rose significantly, so as is my usual response, I didn't haggle and just found that for me SAGA happened to be the cheapest. Incidentally, Admiral is returning £25 to motor policy holders as vehicle mileages are so low: has anyone else been approached by their insurers with such an offer?

·
Administrator
13,429 Posts
An extended family member has just renewed with Saga, last year she was offered a fixed price for three years but as it would cost an extra £30 she declined. Her premium has gone up this year by £3, so that is £27 saved by refusing their offer.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They offered me the 3 year fixed price deal too for a ridiculous premium. Do they think we are that stupid? They keep harping on about the fact that they are Defacto 5*, it is about time someone looked a little closer at their sales procedures.

·
Premium Member
1,385 Posts
Saga was the cheapest for me this year, which i took up.
They offered me the 3 year deal but i declined it, as i will take my chance again next year.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Family have informed me that most insurers in Ireland are giving out refunds. Would not affect me as I'm still working, but as I'm happy with that i have no complaints. I always end up phoning the insurers as a night worker the 'where is your vehicle kept overnight?' Is a bit of a dodgy question. Overnight my car has 2 security cameras focused on it at all times, which for those companies that talk to me about it tends to make a £50 difference.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts