Yeti Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
I change my electric fairly frequently. You have to watch them as well as they like to come up with fantasy figures on consumption and costs to make their deal look better. I was with Octopus and have now gone to Bulb. As with all these things the best deals seem to vary with region and whether you have gas and electric or just electric.

i live in a rural area. Openreach installed the fibre optic cable and connection box on a pole on the main road about 200m from my house but didn’t run it to the house. This was two years ago. The other day, they sent me an email saying that the brilliant news was that they could now provide service. I contacted BT and others to get a quote and they all said that that fibre wasn’t available in my area. I’m on a radio link at the moment, so not really bothered but it does make you wonder about all the hype.

·
Registered
205 Posts
For any members thinking of changing to Octopus, here is a referal code that will give you a £50 credit to start your account ( I will also get £50 credited to my account).

share.octopus.energy/jolly-burn-980​

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I change my electric fairly frequently. You have to watch them as well as they like to come up with fantasy figures on consumption and costs to make their deal look better. I was with Octopus and have now gone to Bulb. As with all these things the best deals seem to vary with region and whether you have gas and electric or just electric.

i live in a rural area. Openreach installed the fibre optic cable and connection box on a pole on the main road about 200m from my house but didn’t run it to the house. This was two years ago. The other day, they sent me an email saying that the brilliant news was that they could now provide service. I contacted BT and others to get a quote and they all said that that fibre wasn’t available in my area. I’m on a radio link at the moment, so not really bothered but it does make you wonder about all the hype.
Its hit and miss with Fibre connection. One day you can get it the next they will say non available.
I am on "fibre" but that is only to the green box about 3/4 mile away and copper the rest.
Late last year they have laid fibre from the box to the pole outside, but i think i would have to now get a different contract and pay for a fibre wire from pole to house.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Its hit and miss with Fibre connection. One day you can get it the next they will say non available.
I am on "fibre" but that is only to the green box about 3/4 mile away and copper the rest.
Late last year they have laid fibre from the box to the pole outside, but i think i would have to now get a different contract and pay for a fibre wire from pole to house.
Normally, the fibre connections are: Fttc (up to the cabinet) or Fttp (up to the premises).
It seems unlikely that an Fttc fibre connection would be extended to a pole if it wasn’t going all the way to the premises. May be worth checking before you make any commitments.

·
Registered
175 Posts
For any members thinking of changing to Octopus, here is a referal code that will give you a £50 credit to start your account ( I will also get £50 credited to my account).

share.octopus.energy/jolly-burn-980​
I have the same deal with Bulb if anyone is interested. I changed to them from Octopus as they were cheaper in my area.

·
Administrator
4,561 Posts
To enable FTTP BT will have installed fibre to the pole where they would then fit a splitter and then recable with fibre to the premises. This site tells you what is available in your area (UK only).

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
I had fibre to the cabinet and then copper to the house from BT for about 3 years giving me up to 56Mb/sec, at huge cost - around £55/mth including line rental etc. Go on a price comparison site and all I could get was 10Mb/s, so couldn't change and get enough speed for streaming in 4k.
Suddenly Vodaphone appeared at up to £66mb/s for £23/mth all in, so I am now with them. My address still does not come up on the price comparison site for any other companies though!

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Normally, the fibre connections are: Fttc (up to the cabinet) or Fttp (up to the premises).
It seems unlikely that an Fttc fibre connection would be extended to a pole if it wasn’t going all the way to the premises. May be worth checking before you make any commitments.
Yes it is to the top of the pole.
We live on a private road there is a pole next door to me and the pole on the other road that serves us was the "END" of the bt feed through there ducts and a new duct to this pole was laid when they built next door (rather than have 5-6 wires from the top) but when they have just recently laid fibre they ran an overhead fibre wire to the top of the pole next door, the duct must have been blocked and easier to string a line across.

Btw where we have caravan the road from the main road that passes all the sites the fibre wire is overhead and green type boxes are fixed to the poles.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yes it is to the top of the pole.
We live on a private road there is a pole next door to me and the pole on the other road that serves us was the "END" of the bt feed through there ducts and a new duct to this pole was laid when they built next door (rather than have 5-6 wires from the top) but when they have just recently laid fibre they ran an overhead fibre wire to the top of the pole next door, the duct must have been blocked and easier to string a line across.

Btw where we have caravan the road from the main road that passes all the sites the fibre wire is overhead and green type boxes are fixed to the poles.
I wasn’t suggesting that fibre can’t be run on an overhead route, in fact, where I live the fibre cable runs most of the way from the exchange on an overhead route. The point I was trying to make was that with FTTC, the fibre to copper media converter is located in the cabinet and so it will be copper from there on. The copper cable will run to the top of the pole or the foot way box near the premises and that will be the end of BTs responsibility. If, in that system (FTTC) the fibre cable was extended to the pole, the fibre to copper media converter would have to be put at the top of the pole in your case and that is what I thought would be unlikely.

I used to be involved with the technical side of data communications many years ago and will admit I am not up to date with how it is distributed now. I was just trying to apply a little logic to the question and would be very receptive if you can tell me different.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I wasn’t suggesting that fibre can’t be run on an overhead route, in fact, where I live the fibre cable runs most of the way from the exchange on an overhead route. The point I was trying to make was that with FTTC, the fibre to copper media converter is located in the cabinet and so it will be copper from there on. The copper cable will run to the top of the pole or the foot way box near the premises and that will be the end of BTs responsibility. If, in that system (FTTC) the fibre cable was extended to the pole, the fibre to copper media converter would have to be put at the top of the pole in your case and that is what I thought would be unlikely.

I used to be involved with the technical side of data communications many years ago and will admit I am not up to date with how it is distributed now. I was just trying to apply a little logic to the question and would be very receptive if you can tell me different.
It is a bit confusing.
Especially where i am at the end of the line.
I am on "fibre" with Sky, i do have copper to the green box 3/4 mile away.
Recently Openreach laid fibre from the green box via ducts, but where it comes down our road they strung it overhead to the pole next door. This i believe will allow users along the full length to be able to have fibre to the property.
I did speak to engineer on site at time and i understood that if i wanted fibre direct to the house i would then need a new (fibre) wire from my indoor box to the top of the pole, this would be done when/if i went into new contract with fibre to the property.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It looks like they have changed it from FTTC to FTTP in that case. Better as far as you are concerned. Not only faster but less prone to problems than a copper connection. 😀

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
It looks like they have changed it from FTTC to FTTP in that case. Better as far as you are concerned. Not only faster but less prone to problems than a copper connection. 😀
It is definetly at the pole at that location as it is the end of the line.
But not sure what goes on from green box to that point, besides the fact that the fo cable is in the ducts.
When i can get out i will walk up the road and towards the green cabinet and see if any new wires going up other poles from the chambers.

I am not sure what cost there would be if i wanted the fo cable from the pole to property, i can't see a simple 12 month fibre bb contract giving it free

·
Registered
175 Posts
With TT if you need a BT engineer and he finds no fault you get charged £60 just for the visit.
It’s the same with all ISPs. It is BT who make the charge and not the ISP. The whole thing is made more difficult because the ISPs have to get BT Wholesale to check out the BT network and they are the ones who call out the local engineer who is in a different part of theIf system.

I had an slow speed issue with my ASDL broadband a few years ago. I reported it to Plusnet who reported it to BT Wholesale, who said there was nothing wrong with the line, so Plusnet said they could do no more. I knew there were noise problems with the local overhead route and said that I would work the BT engineer to prove it. I wasn’t allowed to contact BT Wholesale direct and Plusnet wouldn’t do any more. I eventually contacted a very senior manager at BTs HQ who gave me the BT Wholesale’s manager’s ‘secret‘ phone number. When I explained the problem to her, she agreed and sent the local engineer out.

When the engineer turned up, I asked him if he was going to carry out a psophometric test (low level noise). He looked at me blankly, clearly not understanding, and opened up his laptop which had three smiley faces on the screen and then told me that if all three were smiling, the line was OK, but if one was frowning there would be a problem.

Between us, we did manage to pinpoint the issue soon after and when the cable was replaced on that stretch of overhead line, all was well.

What a system!

21 - 40 of 46 Posts