Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all and hope you can help.

My better half has just got a job as a district nurse. The rounds are on tight country lanes up on Dartmoor. The current Volvo estate is a bit big and thirsty. We have looked at the shapes of lots of cars and the Yeti with its boxy but not too large floor plan seems like a good shape for hauling lots of stuff around our lanes. She would like 4x4 for those winter days when she needs to get out regardless of the weather. Her previous favorite car was 2 liter HDI 306 with lots of torque allowing slightly lazy gear changes on our undulating roads. So the 140 2litre 4x4 Yeti looks great but then I remember the dreaded DPF on more recent diesel's. She will cover plenty of miles but it will most likely be in shortish runs of less than 10 miles and often just a mile. Are they up this or would we best to go for a petrol model?

Many thanks
Beau

·
Administrator
14,381 Posts
Hi welcome to the forum. Will it be lots of short journeys in a day, or just one short journey?

As regards a 4x4 I would have thought a 2x4 with some decent winter or all season tyres would suffice, a 2x4 on winter tyres will go places a 4x4 on summer tyres cannot. I can vouch for a Yeti carrying nurses to patients in bad weather, just as capable as a LandRover.
As regards the DPF, every diesel car has one including the Pug if it were later than 2011. There is a petrol 1.4 on offer in the for sale section which is most likely a 4x4, being an L&K it is the highest spec for toys. Here is a link to the advert
Anyone after a 1.4 L&K (65 plate)?

·
Administrator
4,952 Posts
Welcome Beau D :)

Choice like that is never simple is it so you may get a number of opinions on here. If you go for a Euro6 engine model (has an AdBlue tank in the boot from late 2015/2016 on) then you avoid any of the VW dieselgate issues with ERG/DPF but any diesel with low mile journeys can be a problem so needs to be balanced with some long hot runs to clear out the DPF with regens. A 1.4 petrol may be the alternative one to look for as The Hood suggests.
If the driving is really on tarmac then think seriously about whether it has to be 4X4. What makes the most difference in bad weather is having the right tyres and a set of winter tyres on spare steel rims would be cheaper than the extra a 4X4 would cost to buy and likely run( 4X4 is heavier to fuel consumption greater) or All Seasons may be sufficient but Dartmoor can be extreme.

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
Provided the DPF gets a decent longish run every fortnight or so, then it will be fine. That gives it chance to perform a self regeneration that burns off the excess soot. You can also get cheap Bluetooth transmitters that plug into the OBD port and transmit data to any Android smartphone with the “VAG DPF” app. That monitors the state of the DPF and can easily tell you when a regeneration is coming up needed.

Apart from that - everything that The Hood and SnowGood said already.

Reactions: Beau D

·
Administrator
14,381 Posts
What makes the most difference in bad weather is having the right tyres and a set of winter tyres on spare steel rims would be cheaper than the extra a 4X4 would cost to buy and likely run( 4X4 is heavier to fuel consumption greater)
I have driven a 140 4x4 for over 104,000 miles and overall have averaged 52 mpg so the extra consumption is a popular myth. Dartmoor with its low traffic volume (compared to here) will be good for fuel economy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi welcome to the forum. Will it be lots of short journeys in a day, or just one short journey?

As regards a 4x4 I would have thought a 2x4 with some decent winter or all season tyres would suffice, a 2x4 on winter tyres will go places a 4x4 on summer tyres cannot. I can vouch for a Yeti carrying nurses to patients in bad weather, just as capable as a LandRover.
As regards the DPF, every diesel car has one including the Pug if it were later than 2011. There is a petrol 1.4 on offer in the for sale section which is most likely a 4x4, being an L&K it is the highest spec for toys. Here is a link to the advert
Anyone after a 1.4 L&K (65 plate)?
Thanks for the swift reply. Lots of short trips adding to an estimated 30miles per day. I hear you one winter tires as we don't use anything else these days having discovered the difference they make in snow, ice, and just wet leafy sludge you get on the back roads around here. At times 4x4 gets you through snow that stops 2x4 on the right tires. Yes the Pug was a pre 2011 HDI

·
Premium Member
5,640 Posts
At times 4x4 gets you through snow that stops 2x4 on the right tires.
Not a 4x4 on summer tyres it doesn’t. ;) :cry: As I witnessed a couple or three winters ago, when heading for a 7a.m. train out of York. The uphill exit ramp from the A1(M) to A59 junction had not yet been ploughed clear at that point. Although the motorway’s main carriageway was clear. The ramp had 3-4” depth of soft snow. A59 similar. Ahead of me, attempting to climb the ramp but making no progress was a BMW X5 police car. Instead it was skating around dangerously with all four wheels spinning. One officer out of the car trying to push. I gave him a cheery wave, as I sailed past up the hill without hint of wheelspin and in complete control - in my Rear Wheel Drive only BMW 3-Series (see signature). I made my train on time. Never discovered what happened to the police X5..... it had gone by 10pm that same evening though.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
. At times 4x4 gets you through snow that stops 2x4 on the right tires.
And as an ex 4x4 instructor I would have to agree with Henry in the post above!
4x4's are not the cure-all that many people seem to think.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She will have winter tires regardless of 2 or 4 wheel drive. We are converts and use them all year round as on Dartmoor if it's not icy or snowy it's raining haha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi
I live in sunny Northumberland, well it is a lot of the time !
I hear you on the winter tyres & on Dartmoor winter tyres are probably the right choice.
For me personally I use all season & I'm happy to do so.
Anyway now you've chosen winter tyres is the Yeti any good ?
Firstly I'd be looking to see if it can carry everything you need, a Yeti 'boot' is not the biggest out there.
Next diesel, I think most of the diesel questions have been answered, that is taking it for a good run every couple of weeks ( 30 miles or so )
I also avoid using supermarket diesel in mine & use an additive at every fill. I use this archoil which after doing some research seems to be the best & so far it's been great, my yeti recently flew through an MOT, emissions were spot on & fingers crossed it's not yet had the dreaded dpf problems.
Good luck with whatever you choose.
IMG_20201019_090006387.jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Beau,

I live on the edge of the Galloway Forest, rural SW Scotland so similar terrain.

The Yeti is the car of choice here in Galloway. Unbelievable number of Yetis on the roads here because they're ideally suited to our rough rural roads!

I have a 2015 diesel 4x4 but I have a 50 mile round trip to work each day.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Beau,

I live on the edge of the Galloway Forest, rural SW Scotland so similar terrain.

The Yeti is the car of choice here in Galloway. Unbelievable number of Yetis on the roads here because they're ideally suited to our rough rural roads!

I have a 2015 diesel 4x4 but I have a 50 mile round trip to work each day.
Thanks Drew. Good to know they hold up to rough roads as that is the norm here.

I must admit I didn't realise how short trips she was going to be doing and a 30 mile run to clear the DPF for no other reason every couple of weeks makes no sense so think if she gets a Yeti it will be a petrol model. I have been there with DPF problems on a new Isuzu truck and we don't want to go there again

·
Registered
320 Posts
Living in the same balmy climate (Nth Devon),if it wasn't for the fact that I tow a lot and find myself in muddy fields I would have replaced my diesel with a 1.2 petrol. As it is the Yeti sits unused most of the time (except when we are towing or on long journeys ) and we use the wife's petrol Rav4.
Long journeys is defined as greater than 40miles each way.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts