Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a Skoda Yeti Urban in the 1.2 but I'm just unsure how this engine rates compaired to the larger CC's available. I have 1.3 Yaris at the moment and the dealers have said that the 1.2 Yeti is more like a 1.6 due to it being turbo charged. Can anyone offer me any advice. I'm trying to track down a 1.2 in any trim level to test drive but it's proving tricky...

Thanks, Stephen

·
Administrator
14,216 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum
Owners of the 1.2 Yeti always comment on how well it goes.

You say you need a test drive whereabouts are you located?

If you have not yet placed an order there may be a dealer near you with a used 1.2who would be keen to let you have a test drive in the hope of getting your order.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
Hi my first yeti was a 1.2tsi and the engine is just wonderful you will not be disappointed
, the 1.3 you are driving at the moment will feel slow, I would say it has the feel of more than a 1.6 I only changed to the 110 because I needed the 4x4.
I ordered the 1.2 without a test drive as no one hadone in 2009 as they had not long stated production of the yeti
, when it arrived even on a new engine it was a treat to drive A, B and motorway it coped with them all well, drove from Yorkshire to nearly the south coast 6hrs after a day driving the moors and still felt like I could have driven more.

Good luck with you hunt for a test drive and hope this helps

regards

Kevin

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's great guys. Really appreciate the info. Hopefully I'll soon be the proud owner of one!

·
Registered
77 Posts
hi and welcome.driven the 1.2tsi elegance model,very nice engine but when i test driven the 1.8tsi model it is superb.i had the octavia vrs 2006 model petrol then the vrs octavia limited edition 2009 loved them both but i must say the yeti i got in dec 2011 is my favourite, 4x4 elegance model with the extras see my pictures of it in the forum. as for the yeti urban the pictures i have seen of it looks really nice.hard choice to make but whatever you decide you will be a happy skoda yeti driver.good luck.

·
Registered
83 Posts
We have a 1.2 Tsi DSG and a 170CR 2.0 diesel 4x4.
While the diesel is obviously faster the 1.2 petrol is a nippy performer.

The only place it struggles is if you want to gain speed quickly when already traveling at a fair pace.
Up to 60mph it'll pull well, but over that it takes a little time to build up speed. Not that it's slow, it's just that it's got a lot more fizz lower down the speed range.

We had one for 18 months and sold it to buy another, exactly the same. It's a good engine if you are not going to be heavily loaded often or want something with sporty performance on the open road.

The real bonus with the 1.2 is it's light. A diesel 4x4 Yeti is around 200kg heavier. This helps it feel more alive around town and is partly why it feels so nippy. Cracking little engine.

If you get one you do need to run it in correctly and pay attention to the oil level. They do use a bit. In our first one we used a litre of oil every 5000 miles. I've heard some use more and some less, but working the engine a bit more seems to bed the engine in, lowering the oil consumption.

General pottering about with the odd holiday trip it averaged 42mpg. Not bad for a petrol.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks to everyone who replied. I managed to get a test drive in a 1.2 Elegance with a full panoramic sunroof in black - what a lovely car!! It had plenty of go in it and was a treat to drive.

I was after the Urban edition so we started to talk money. It was really tough and as I wan't prepared to comit the dealer wasn't prepared to comit to a price either! So after 2 hours including the test drive I left empty handed. I went to another dealer the next day who I had also been talking to and was prepared to comit this time! But all I got for all my bartering was £250 offered and some mat and a tank of fuel! This no where near met my expections on a discount so I left it. Is a discount on a new Yeti rarer than the real thing?? Or is it because it's the Urban?? Is it worth me pushing dealers? There seems to be some discounts out there on dealer websites for the Yeti although not necessarily the Urban.

Any tips on getting a discount? Anyone got any good stories?

Thanks, an expectant Yeti owner (fingers crossed)

·
Registered
897 Posts
My 1.2 is ace!! every one of my friends can't believe how well it goes.
They were selling some on special offer 3 days delivery and I got an'Elegance' withMetalic paint for the price of an 'S'
Not negotiable and they were not interested in my trade in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If the discount is less on the Urban I'd not buy one. Particularly as it lacks ESP, which I consider essential in a family car.

I'd get a better specced standard Yeti for a bigger discount. Although you may have to wait longer.
Wheels are nice though.

·
Administrator
14,216 Posts
Iagree with Boss Fox.
If a dealer has a car in his showroom ready for sale he will not offer much discount because he knows you will have a long wait for a new custom spec car. Psychologically he has the upper hand. Have you tried Skodastore.com it gave me a good discount andis a dealer.(free delivery if wanted).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered my Yeti via www.happynewcar.co.uk. I got a 2.0 140 TDi 4x4 Elegance with around £4k off the book price. I also managed to circumvent the waiting list. The car was ordered at the end of July and was delivered free of charge to my door on 28 September.

·
Administrator
14,216 Posts
Well done, I also looked at happy new car but thought they seemed a bit too good to be true. There was another firm, I think they were called BCAV (Bikes Cars and Vans) and they WERE too good to be true as they turned out to be a scam and they went bust.I've just has a look at Happynewcar's website website and their price is about what I paid, but your car was around two months faster than mine.

Was your car transported or driven to your house? I went and collected mine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
They delivered it on the back of a low loader from Aldershot. I think it had 2 miles on the clock when I first drove it. At first I thought it was too good to be true but the car came exactly as described, maybe a couple of weeks later than originally planned but still way quicker than my local dealer who quoted a 9 month wait and no discount or special deals at all.

·
Administrator
14,216 Posts
Aldershot would be Garland Motors who in theory are probably classed as my local dealer.
Ironic really as when I was looking for a Yeti they did not even have a demo, mine ended up coming from Mansfield. On the plus side it was an excuse for a 100 mile drive when I got it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes it was Garland Motors although I had no contact with them at all, it was all through Happy New Car. To be honest I didn't intend buying such a high spec. model, I was more wanting 4x4 than anything but now I've got it I'm glad I did

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Talking of Brokers... has anyone heard or bought through orangewheels.co.uk. I have been in contact with them and their price is a good one...

I'm assuming that if the dealer just puts you in contact with the actual dealer and you pay the dealer direct you should be safe?!?!

And can I just say what a friendly and responsive bunch you are!

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
discosteve And can I just say what a friendly and responsive bunch you are! Thanks again. [/QUOTE said:
we try to help anyone who needs it
Emoticons not working very well today

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
14 Posts
All of my dealings were with the broker and I paid them for the car a couple of days before it was delivered. It was only when the car was delivered that I was aware it had been sourced from a dealer after I saw the sticker n the rear window. If you pay the deposit with a credit card you have full protection under the consumer credit act should the broker go out of business after you have paid for the car but before it is delivered.Have a look at http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/sale-of-goods/understanding-the-consumer-credit-act/your-rights/for full details.

Don't forget, you only have to pay a proportion of the cost on a credit card, not all of the purchase price to gain full protection.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts