Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post so a Big Hi to All!

We've recently retired from farming, live in the uplands of mid Wales and want to 'exchange' our Skoda Fabia + L/R Defender for a Yeti. Had a very impressive test drive (all urban) yesterday and will probably order a new Yeti on the strength of that experience, unless the right used Yeti appears.

One question which the salesman couldn't answer was on the traction front. In ice and snow, will the Off Road Button, which handles Uphill/Downhill assist etc, have the same effect as the Diff-Lock on the L/R Defender. I'll admit that I use this function a lot on the backroads and tracks that we have to use during Welsh winters.

On a similar theme, do the standard tyres, which look lovely and fat to me (!), work well in country conditions - i.e. mud, sheep-sh*t, gravel, etc? I'm not thinking about true off roading - spent too much time in tractors - but want to get around without too much bother. I'm worried that the standard Yeti tyres are urban/motorway oriented - is that the case?

Anyway, Thanks for any suggestions!

Dai.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Welcome, I think you will find the Yeti up to many tasks but a good question on diff operation. I look forward to some expert responses from the forum but I believe the rear haldex clutch and front diff are fully under computer control modulating the brakes to maintain traction on the wheels that still have resistance this is a lot more sophisticated than the Land Rover but I can't say if it is better. I'd guess that if you were driving 1000 miles cross country the LR would be best for durability, as your brakes would wear out, but for everyday obstacles Yeti would be more forgiving and user friendly. The Yeti seems to have a great following in the Eastern block and India so I feel is designed meet that market as much as ours. So it is very durable, functional, practical, and less flamboyant (al la L/R Evoke), possibly why you like it if my agricultural background is representative of your choice!

·
Registered
213 Posts
More thoughts, is the LR diff lock on both diffs? I believe the transfer box is coupled or not, you have a red lever to connect on a LR? That equates to the Haldex on a Yeti, see http://www.vaglinks.com/Docs/Audi/TT/Audi_TT_Haldex_SelfStudyGuide.pdf. The actual diffs On the Yeti act like smart limited slip diffs, through the brake modulation. I'd like to see some experienced user feedback if this more effective than what Landy has as I can't remember an actual diff lock lever when I drove one in the eighties!

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Daithecwm said:
First post so a Big Hi to All!

We've recently retired from farming, live in the uplands of mid Wales and want to 'exchange' our Skoda Fabia + L/R Defender for a Yeti. Had a very impressive test drive (all urban) yesterday and will probably order a new Yeti on the strength of that experience, unless the right used Yeti appears.

Don't know which dealer you used, but I can heartily recommend Sinclairs of Swansea.

One question which the salesman couldn't answer was on the traction front. In ice and snow, will the Off Road Button, which handles Uphill/Downhill assist etc, have the same effect as the Diff-Lock on the L/R Defender. I'll admit that I use this function a lot on the backroads and tracks that we have to use during Welsh winters.

No it isn't, I'm afraid. The Off Road button turns on various electronic functions that alter the stability settings, the accelerator settings, the traction settings and the braking settings.
I don't have the OR button on mine but have to drive from Llani to Ludlow for work and have never found the car wanting because of the lack.

On a similar theme, do the standard tyres, which look lovely and fat to me (!), work well in country conditions - i.e. mud, sheep-sh*t, gravel, etc? I'm not thinking about true off roading - spent too much time in tractors - but want to get around without too much bother. I'm worried that the standard Yeti tyres are urban/motorway oriented - is that the case?

See above. I've taken mine off road a lot as I do Safety Radio on rallies and have never had a problem. In winter then winter tyres might be a good buy, but I've managed so far.

Anyway, Thanks for any suggestions!

Dai.
Creoso, Dai.
Anywhere near Llanidloes? If you are you can have a look at mine.
See my replies in red above.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I can not go all technical on you but I am sure in the past that people have described the off road button has heightening the responses of all of the off road capabilities. I bit like pressing the sport mode button on a sports car.

Haldex is mighty clever and certainly got me out of two very bad winters without blinking. I stopped worrying about how it works, it just does. Sit back and enjoy the fact it WILL get you where you want to go.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Agreed!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have mentioned earlier that calling it an OFF ROAD BUTTON may be a bit misleading for people who think you need the 'button' to have 4x4 not so the 4x4 are brilliant off road.
The ORBut gives you that extra help. I went on sheer ice in fact I got out to take the photo and ended up on my back finding it very hard to get back on my feet but the yeti was foot perfect considering.
With the combination of good snow/ice tyres and the Off Road Button I think you would be able to go almost anywhere.
The land rovers are at an advantage by having more ground clearance thats all,I had a 1956 86inch wheel base, Discos and Land Rovers and the best I found off road was the Range Rover. Edited by: adobedon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many Thanks - I'm happier now knowing your positive experiences.

@ Ferdie - great article on the Haldex, will inwardly digest!

@ Llanigraham - we're up by the Clywedog. If you can PM me your tel, I'll give you a ring - Thanks.

Cheers - Dai.

·
Premium Member
5,328 Posts
Dai.

Will do.

Graham

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daithecwm said:
There's nothing like the central diff-lock of your old Def...(hoping for you it was a td5
).
It's just activating some specific electronic settings of the traction control, the up-hill start assistant, steep hill descent support etc.

You will never have a mechanic diff-lock with a 25% of the torque on each wheel like in the glorious defender...let's remember that the yeti remains a suv, better than the average car on sheep s**t and snow...but still meant for the city.

I feel it super soft and smooth on bumpy country roads...but if you are a former defender user.....you gotta change your mindset

Daithecwm said:
In your case I would probably go for 4 seasons M+S tyres (not winter...)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have Hill Descent Control which when activated the car sorts itself out by making good use of the ABS to keep you going in the right direction at a controlled speed

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi Do I have the standard tyres on and been every where on farmland including ewe poo and underwater gates I've also took it over the Yorkshire hills in the icey conditions so the ORB with proper tyres the world would be your oyster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your comments, Fontafox - as LlaniGraham will tell you, we got a Yeti last Septemeber from Fred Rees in Haverfordwest, where we used to farm. I can honestly say we're both very pleased with it - drive is smooth and comfortable, which suits us in our 'dotage'.
The tyres are those fat urban/motorway type, so we'll have fun when the roads get dodgy, I expect, but we've got the 4wd tractor (with loader) if we get snowed in. I'm looking to get a spare wheel as I'm not very happy with the aerosol repair kit - keeping my eyes out on eBay. Guess I'll need a jack, too.
Anyway, Happy New Year to all and see you down the road (we're in the white one with mud splattered up the sides!)
Cheers - David.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi

Bit late as most points covered. The off road button is same as 'Terrain Response' on the Land Rover Freelander - changes throttle map (softer response), traction control and all these kind of functions to optimise whatever grip you have. Not quite the same as the mechanical stuff on the Defender but pretty effective.

I've not had much snow/ ice since I got my Yeti but it handles the local tracks pretty well

Enjoy

Grumpy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts