Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery seems to be dying. Is there any reason why I cannot use a lithium jump starter like the Ring automotive RPPL300 to start it? Its a 2012ish Yeti 4x4

·
Premium Member
5,508 Posts
Can't see that would cause any problems, especially as your car isn't equipped with Stop/Start.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't see that would cause any problems, especially as your car isn't equipped with Stop/Start.
I couldn't think of a reason either. But just in case there was thought I'd better ask. The Yeti doesn't so far as I can see have an special earth point in that model either. What do ppl connect to the nearest metal panel?

·
Registered
712 Posts
If it’s not stop/start, you might as well use the negative battery terminal. Wouldn’t it be easier to replace the battery?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it’s not stop/start, you might as well use the negative battery terminal. Wouldn’t it be easier to replace the battery?
I was always told that was not recommended. I could but Given LD my battery is lower than normal anyway as driven infrequently so a backup of a jump starter seemed a good idea anyway

·
Registered
712 Posts
It isn’t recommended if you have a battery monitor in the negative battery lead as fitted to stop/start models. Otherwise you will be fine going on to the negative battery terminal.

Have you thought about using a smart battery charger or would it be difficult where you park?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No power point where I park :-/ So its really a trad fast starter or a new lith one really.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
No power point where I park :-/ So its really a trad fast starter or a new lith one really.
Would it feasible perhaps to take the battery out and charge it in a safe location where you do have access to a power point? On cars without SS there is no problem on reconnecting a fully charged battery, or coding, etc. All you lose is the time of day setting on the dash display. Easily reset.

·
Premium Member
6,256 Posts
I was always told that was not recommended. (To connect a charger or power pack direct to the Earth terminal while still connected to the car.)
Seems to be an OK job to connect up that way again on modern cars. When I was showing my neighbour how to use the CTEK charger they were borrowing from me recently, on his & her 4-year and 3-year old Citroens, we found a page in the owner’s manual that showed the correct connection sequence (which echoed those for the charger :)), AND carried the instruction: “It is NOT necessary to disconnect the battery terminals prior to attaching a battery charger”. It DID recommend connecting to a nearby earth point though, rather than the battery terminal itself. Which we did.

Was quite refreshing to find an owner’s manual that contained genuinely useful information too. :D

·
Registered
959 Posts
I would fit a new battery, rather than taking chances (will it or won't it) Your car is no use if it doesn't go.
Since I use to have a battery lawn mower I have a habit of keeping my last car battery in the garage and use that as a just in case power pack.

Reactions: Robjon

·
Registered
693 Posts
...I have a habit of keeping my last car battery in the garage and use that as a just in case power pack.
Me too! I still have the old battery from my Roomster, which I keep fully charged. I've never had to use it to start my own car, but I have used it to start several neighbours' cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts