Yeti Owners Club banner

Just bought a 2017 Yeti Outdoor 4X4

Tags
new owner
3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Bexhillian 
#1 ·
Firstly thanks for letting me join this forum. We're super excited to have picked up our Yeti today, I have been looking for a reliable, no-nonsense 4x4 and Yeti ticked all the boxes, using it to cart MTB's and lots of camping gear. I have a big Thule bike carrier that will require a towbar, will i need a swan neck bar to avoid setting off sensors? Many thanks! Gareth

#2 ·
I have a big Thule bike carrier that will require a towbar, will i need a swan neck bar to avoid setting off sensors? Many thanks! Gareth
Welcome.

It doesn't matter what tow bar is fitted, since when you have the electrics fitted the car will require the ECU to be reprogrammed, and this will result in, amongst other things, the reverse sensors being disconnected when the trailer board electrics are plugged in.

When pricing up for the towbar fitting please do NOT go for the apparently (very slightly) cheaper by-pass system. This does not integrate with the cars electrics and has been known to cause expensive problems. A correct full loom is the best way to go.

And can I suggest that you add your location, as members here may well be able to recommend a suitable tow bar fitter in your area.

#4 ·
Welcome Gareth. Where in the country are you?

I've also recently just bought a 2017 Yeti 4x4 Outdoor for towing our caravan, and also need to carry bikes on it.
Whilst i have Thule 591 roof racks fitted, I also have a tow bar mounted Thule Easyfold XT rack to take the weight of my ebike.
This meant getting a tow bar fitted, so I used North West Towbar Centre in Stockport to fit a Westfalia (Skoda approved) detachable tow bar with dedicated electrics.
Not cheap at £600 but they did a great job.

#7 ·
The Westfalia detachable is factory fit and is very neat if you have the official bumper cover. Dedicated electrics will disable rear parking sensors when the lights/trailer is connected.
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper
Mode of transport Automotive design Automotive exterior Fender Rim
Space Small appliance Kitchen appliance Spacecraft Machine
Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

#9 ·
I will add that even if you fit the Westfalia bar, which I agree is excellent, you still need the electronics reprogramming to get everything working properly.

I am sure that a member in your area has had a tow bar fitted recently. Hopefully they can recommend them.

(If you think East Grinstead is weird, you've obviously never been to Todmorden!)

#11 ·
In 2007 the Food Warriors of Todmorden led the world by turning disused verges in the former mill town of Todmorden into free food plots - thereby inspiring a global movement of urban veg growers.

Yesterday when the Tory government conceded that fresh veg would not be flowing across the channel for several months, the urban food warriors smiled quietly to themselves and continued to sup their beer and tuck into to their pub lunch of home grown Waldorf salad.

#12 ·
Todmorden is the sort of town that breeds folk like that! :) (y)

Reactions: Llanigraham
#13 ·
East Grinstead weird?
We lived on Herontye in the 1970s and commuted (albeit rather leisurely) to and fro' London daily.
Beautifully rural after a flat in Central London.
What has happened?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.