Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a look through other posts but can't find anything the same. My key fob is occasionally flashing red, when its near or far from the vehicle. It still starts the car and drives ok. The boot also keeps unlocking. I was thinking perhaps a battery change is needed but would the key need re-programming after?

I would try the spare but that became damaged, and while I did replace the outer casing (circuit board was undamaged) it opens and closes the doors fine as expected but when going to start all the dash lights flash and no ignition.

Any ideas gratefully recieved.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
Err?? What light on the key fob? None of mine have a light.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Llanigraham said:
Strange, the two key fobs for my current Yeti have a red LED in the front corner adjacent to the chrome button that releases the key. My previous Yeti and Octavia vRS key fobs were the same.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
Red4danger said:
I would try the spare but that became damaged, and while I did replace the outer casing (circuit board was undamaged) it opens and closes the doors fine as expected but when going to start all the dash lights flash and no ignition.

It sounds like you did not transfer the little black immobiliser chip from the old fob to the new one.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,553 Posts
Kenny R said:
It sounds like you did not transfer the little black immobiliser chip from the old fob to the new one.

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Llanigraham said:
Red light on fob that flashes when pressed.

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
I recently changed the battery in both of mine, they both flash when the button is pressed, so it is not an indication of a failing battery. Changing the battery is so easy I did not bother posting it in the Yetipedia.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Brilliant, I do like this forum - I was the same as Llanigraham, 'What red light!?'. My keys are on my desk right in front of me and sure enough there's a little red light when a button is pressed, never noticed that before!

·
Registered
524 Posts
Same here, never noticed it before, but mine flashes when a button is pressed....I guess it signifies the fact that a signal is being generated...in other words, the battery is OK and the fob is functioning. So provided the fob is doing its job, the OP can stop worrying.

·
Premium Member
Kia Niro HEV2 and MG Midget
6,107 Posts
Well you live and learn!In all the time I've had Yeti's I have never noticed that light.

(Mind you, my key has an orange cover over it, to differentiate it from "The Boss's". She like different locking settings to me!)

·
Premium Member
Honda HR-V e:HEV Hybrid.
2,890 Posts
slartibartfast said:
Same here, never noticed it before, but mine flashes when a button is pressed....I guess it signifies the fact that a signal is being generated...in other words, the battery is OK and the fob is functioning. So provided the fob is doing its job, the OP can stop worrying.
Agree absolootly!
I have had three Yetis and only noticed on the last one!!

·
Registered
Yeti Outdoor Elegance 1200TSI
1,118 Posts
My book says when the key button won't operate the central locking from a range of 10 metres or less then you need to change the battery.

I still have my original battery 3 years old and it will unlock from 50 metres away. A bit pointless though because by the time I get to the car it will have locked again

Edited by: RickT

·
Administrator
6,153 Posts
Red4danger said:
My key fob is occasionally flashing red, when its near or far from the vehicle. It still starts the car and drives ok. The boot also keeps unlocking. I was thinking perhaps a battery change is needed but would the key need re-programming after?
The light should flash red when the button is pressed but is yours flashing at other times? Try a battery change and no, no need to re-programme the key.

For anyone unsure how to get the key apart this VW may be helpful.http://www.riskin.org/vwkey/

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Its not pointless, due to presumably old age by the time I am 50m away I can't remember if I locked it or not. So I can lock it again to make sure, and see the lights flash to confirm. Indeed I have done this from huge distances away, so am sometimes concerned I could press the key in my pocket accidentally and let someone undesirable into my car when they see the lights flash and are within 15 seconds of it!

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
ken3966 said:
Its not pointless, due to presumably old age by the time I am 50m away I can't remember if I locked it or not. So I can lock it again to make sure, and see the lights flash to confirm. Indeed I have done this from huge distances away, so am sometimes concerned I could press the key in my pocket accidentally and let someone undesirable into my car when they see the lights flash and are within 15 seconds of it!
So by locking the car, walking away 50m away and pressing the lock again, you've just taken the deadlocks off and disabled the internal alarm sensors,making it easier for some
lowlife to steal your car.
You should be able to select, the alarm to chirp when you lock the car, in the maxidot.
And in case you missed it this post is about the light that flashes on the key fob not the car lights flashing. Edited by: Kenny R

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Kenny R said:
So by locking the car, walking away 50m away and pressing the lock again, you've just taken the deadlocks off and disabled the internal alarm sensors,making it easier for some
lowlife to steal your car.
To disable interior alarm sensors and deadlocking it has to be 2 presses within 2 seconds.
Perhaps the "Flash" could manage it

·
Premium Member
1,686 Posts
And I know it is about the battery. That became a discussion about the range the remote works at. So entirely relevant.

·
Registered
71 Posts
HI I have KESSY on a MY15 Australian Yeti but there is no Red led on the Fob. I guess as I just leave the fob in my pocket and don't touch it there is no need to have the red LED.? I unlock the car by pulling the front door handle and lock the car by placing my thumb on the outer handle. Car starts by a push button. So don't use the fob buttons and there are no keyholes.TJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had a look through other posts but can't find anything the same. My key fob is occasionally flashing red, when its near or far from the vehicle. It still starts the car and drives ok. The boot also keeps unlocking. I was thinking perhaps a battery change is needed but would the key need re-programming after?

Did you get this figured out? I assume the light is not supposed to flash unless you press a button. Did changing the battery fix the flashing light and the boot opening? A friend of mine is having the same problem. Curious how it was fixed. Many thanks

1 - 20 of 31 Posts