Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Joined the club and bought a 17 plate Monte Carlo with two keys. The one I’ve been using since purchase has been working as usual, but the second key doesn’t respond regarding the central locking. Works fine to lock and unlock the traditional way, and in ignition, have replaced the battery in the fob and tried several YouTube videos suggested to resync the fob but nothing working as yet. Any guidance? Don’t really want to have to fork out at a dealership for them to give it a try, but might have to resort to it if that’s the only answer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here are are a few checks you could do if you've not done already!
Have you looked in the settings menu? The settings for each key can be programmed differently to each other.
If you unlock the car (via key in the door lock) open the door and wait till the alarm sounds can it be silenced with the bad key in the ignition? if so then the immobiliser is recognizing the key.
Does the red LED light up on the key when pressed? I've read somewhere that there is a 30 second window to remove/replace the battery in the key before it loses its memory, though I can't be sure about this because even after 7 years I've never had to change mine as it still works from 50 metres distance. It's recommended to change it when less than 10 metres.

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
6,893 Posts
If it has lost sync stand beside locked car and hold unlock button down until it re-syncs and unlocks car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are are a few checks you could do if you've not done already!
Have you looked in the settings menu? The settings for each key can be programmed differently to each other.
If you unlock the car (via key in the door lock) open the door and wait till the alarm sounds can it be silenced with the bad key in the ignition? if so then the immobiliser is recognizing the key.
Does the red LED light up on the key when pressed? I've read somewhere that there is a 30 second window to remove/replace the battery in the key
before it loses its memory, though I can't be sure about this because even after 7 years I've never had to change mine as it still works from 50 metres distance. It's recommended to change it when less than 10 metres.
I’ve tried to see if anything is different in the settings between the two keys (on the dashboard menu) and there isn’t.
The battery must be working in the remote too, I’ve tried with the original and a new battery and the red light is flashing.
Have tried opening with the key and occasionally the alarm sounds, but I will try the key in the ignition to silence it when it next occurs.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Stood beside the car with unlock button pushed for about 40 seconds and no luck :(
Does the light on the fob flash when pressing buttons?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’ve tried to see if anything is different in the settings between the two keys (on the dashboard menu) and there isn’t.
The battery must be working in the remote too, I’ve tried with the original and a new battery and the red light is flashing.
Have tried opening with the key and occasionally the alarm sounds, but I will try the key in the ignition to silence it when it next occurs.
So have tried this approach again. Key in the door and appears to prime the alarm (light inside door goes solidly on). Alarm sounds when door is opened, key in ignition silences alarm, but the key doesn’t lock the car after that.

·
Administrator
16,183 Posts
Maybe you need to be a bit radical and remove the battery for several minutes to allow the memory to fade completely and start from scratch.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Still nothing ☹
Is it worth getting another key cut from a Timpsons or similar? Would the battery casing and remote be the same?

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
Is it worth getting another key cut from a Timpsons or similar?
The key will be OK, it's the module inside that appears to be the problem.
Could it be when you bought the car you have been given the wrong key?
If that is the case could someone deliberately have your 2nd key?

·
Administrator
5,792 Posts
If the physical key opens the lock it's unlikely to be the "wrong" key so it's more an issue that the remote unlock doesn't work. Some cars had to be reprogrammed using VCDS I believe so I wonder if this is the case here as the resync process using the car electronics has been tried (several times by the sound of it) but seemingly failed.

A new key from Timpsons or similar would need the built in transponder moving across from the old key or reprogramming so could be more problematic than sticking with the existing key.

Reactions: Flintstone

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The key will be OK, it's the module inside that appears to be the problem.
Could it be when you bought the car you have been given the wrong key?
If that is the case could someone deliberately have your 2nd key?
I thought this, but the serial numbers etc on the side of the keys match, so I assume that these are the two keys for this car.
I will make doubly sure with the sellers that these keys are the ones for the car though.

·
Premium Member
6,893 Posts
I will make doubly sure with the sellers that these keys are the ones for the car though.
Thinking about it if it opens the doors it's probably the right one, does it start the car?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thinking about it if it opens the doors it's probably the right one, does it start the car?
Yeah it does, when I try unlocking with the key, and the alarm goes off, putting it in the ignition and starting the car stops it. Just the fact the buttons aren’t responding with the action when they’re pressed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts