Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
driving slowly around a car park today in 1st gear I became aware of a distinct knocking (bit like a pneumatic drill) from the engine bay area. Depressing the clutch stopped the noise.Car is a 2.0 Tdi 110 with 4000 miles up. Any ideas please.

·
Registered
290 Posts
That sort of noise sounds like a drive shaft constant velocity joint, this normally happens only on a full lock when the joint is at it's most load, and mostly to higher millage vehicles. If it continues, it's time to visit the dealer.

Edited by: Tech-Yeti

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many thanks for that "Tech-Yeti". I tried to replicate the noise again yesterday but believe it or not it wouldn't happen. Very strange as when it first appeared it was very distinct. But as you say I,ll keep an eye on it and get it to the Dealer's if it re-appears.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I did have a strange knock on a Octavia where the locking wheel nut was not quite as tigh as the others allowing a slight knock from the wheel rims at slow speed took me ages to find where the noise

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
Royski101 said:
I did have a strange knock on a Octavia where the locking wheel nut was not quite as tigh as the others allowing a slight knock from the wheel rims at slow speed took me ages to find where the noise
A loose wheel nut can cause a knocking, but Mick Tee said it stopped when he dipped the clutch. It would be really bad luck to have a duff CVJ so early, but at least it would be repaired under warranty. I have changed several in the past but sometimes you need a special tool, my last car needed a torque of 200ftlb which cost me a new torque wrench.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks for the suggestions. The noise re-appeared just this afternoon again in a Supermarket car park. I don't think it is a CV Joint or loose wheel bolt (I torqued up the wheels myself after having them off a couple of months ago) but I will check them tomorrow. The knocking is at quite a high frequency, to fast for a CV Joint at the speed I was driving, ie walking pace in 1st gear and again dipping the clutch stopped it instantly. It was also still thereas I reversed to re-position the car for another forward test run.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Another strange knock that happened today was I did not connect the cords on the rear parcel shelf and the ball end was knocking against the tail gate
I know this is not what you have but another thing I have found
I thought that most cv joint problems you can detect when you are on full lock or am I wrong

·
Registered
5 Posts
Could be knocking fuel pipes - same problem the Fabias have had. There is a pack that can be fitted supplied by Skoda to the dealers so go back and ask. I have same issue in reverse and 1st gear.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that Cedarchip, what you describe goes along with my thinking as only this morning the noise appeared yet again when at about 10mph in second gear. I had been thinking that to me it sounded more like something knocking/tapping against something than a problem with an individual component.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hope my comments are proved right as I have not yet had mine fixed but do know the pack used works as my Fabia had it put on. I was disappointed to find same issue with Yeti as would have thought design would have been changed however daresay these Yetis were built at same time as the faulty Fabias or those certain parts were already assembled. It is i believe a very simple fix and at least it is good that the problem is not being made worse by not getting it fixed - just annoying and worrying when you do not know what it is.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The problem with the pressure pipes vibrating was fixed on the Yeti, perhaps yours was overlooked

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again for the info. Do you know the location of the problem pipes so that I can have a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
When you lift off the engine cover you will see the common rail running across, from this you will see metal high pressure pipes going to each injector. These should have had rubber/plastic spacers fitted to stop them touching each other.

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I know is that it is somewhere near the back of the engine where the pipes disappear at back of engine compartment close to the steering wheel side.

·
Premium Member
2,460 Posts
I think this is the recall tech-yeti is referring to.

Edited by: wakev

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Up-date.

Car road tested by Dealer the other day. Not good news. I'm reluctant to go into detail at this time but will enlarge after Dealer has carried out a full investigation next week.

·
Registered
788 Posts
hmm, intriguing! Hope you get it all sorted soon...

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Further Up-date,

After road testingthe car my dealer suspected a transmission problem and the car was booked in for a full day for a thorough inspection. A couple of days before my appointment, and being the curious type I put the car up on my ramps for a good look around. First thing I noticed was that the Nearside outer C.V. Joint Rubber Boot retaining Clip (which secures the boot to the driveshaft) was loose and about halfway along the shaft. The Shaft was coated with C.V. Joint grease and dust and road grit. It looked to me that the Clip had never been correctly tightened during initial assembly. I reported my findings to my dealer.

Subsquently the car was taken in to the dealer who contacted Skoda and a replacement Driveshaft has been fitted.

My dealer has been great providing a loan car for two days and keeping me informed as to what was happening.

I only hope that the loose boot and loss of lubricant was indeed the cause of my "knocking". It would be a big coincidence if that was not the case.

Watch this space !!.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Further update and hopefully the end of this particular problem. After having the new driveshaft fitted the noise was still present so that ruled out that particular possibility. The car was subsequenty re-booked into the dealers and this time another technician had a look. "Tell you what that is". Bonnet was pulled and the technician went straight to the rather complex plasticAir Intake plumbing. "It comes from this lot!". "Leave it with me for a couple of hours and I'll fix it". And he did. Various bits of jigging here and there, addition of some stratigically place sponge padding and job done. Noise has disappeared. I just wouldn't have believed that such a loud knocking could have been made by bits of plastic but it did !!.
Well done to my dealer who put up with my moaning and persevered to a successful conclusion.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts