Yeti Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone
This question as problem been asked a million times & there is a simple fix .
Hope do you change the speed display in the Maxi dot from kph to mph ?
I鈥檝e been trying for a hour & no joy lol 馃槀
Any help would be very welcome & in step by step instructions...... well that would be fantastic
Cheers

Administrator
You need VCDS or Carista to do it, you can't do it with the standard dash menu. If you bought your Yeti "used", you could see if the previous owner had it done, there would be a box in the menu list called "alt speed", ticking and unticking switches between the two.
I changed it on mine but the large numbers reduce the number of lines you can have displayed so I never use it.

Premium Member
Its as innacurate as the speedo anyway. Use a speed app on your phone to determine what it should read when actually travelling at the speed limit. I would find it annoying to have a large 76mph on the display when I am actually doing an exact 70mph, but if you learn what the true speeds are in km/hr, as displayed already, you can use them and never be done for speeding. eg 118km/hr is an exact 70mph, 101 an exact 60, 85 and exact 50, 69 an exact 40, and 53 an exact 30. (In my car, tyre and gearbox gearing may make yours slightly different.
I regulalry pass most of the traffic in speed limited motorway sections at the true speed limit, when most are going by the speedo displaying a conservative reading, and have never had an issue with average speed camera etc.

Premium Member
I think a lot here are not understanding that an digital MPH display is being asked for and can be done.

Administrator
There is a bit more about how it is actually done using VCDS here:

Simple if you already have access to VCDS, but note the warnings

You can do similar with a Carista OBD2 dongle which is cheaper than buying VCDS.

Registered
Not often no, I don't drive much in towns so I drive to the conditions.
As I don't drive a fighter jet I have no need for a heads up display.
Think about how far you've travelled at 50mph looking at the display thinking 'oh that's cool' instead of looking at the road

Premium Member
Think about how far you've travelled at 50mph looking at the display thinking 'oh that's cool' instead of looking at the road
I don't know what to say, either you are really special and know exactly what speed you are doing or you think you are not safe to look down to see an instrument that is fitted by law to all vehicles. I'm not even thinking about your thoughts on rear view mirrors.

Premium Member
Not often no, I don't drive much in towns so I drive to the conditions.
As I don't drive a fighter jet I have no need for a heads up display.
Have you ever considered taking an advanced drivers course?

Registered
Looking at the bloke doing 200mph on the motorway the other day, I don't care that the traffic was light with lock down but the speed at which the road signs flashed by I bet he never blinked, but had time to video it all on his phone and post it, I'm looking forward to the police finding him, that should give him a 3yr ban.

Registered
I don't know what to say, either you are really special and know exactly what speed you are doing or you think you are not safe to look down to see an instrument that is fitted by law to all vehicles. I'm not even thinking about your thoughts on rear view mirrors.
Oh the drama ... the usual story on this site is for the 'older members' to make snide comments.
Thank you I am capable of looking at the lawful speedo, and have been in the 40+ years I've held full and advanced licences.
The issue which grinds my gears is the fixation on having a digital speed readout, it's not necessary and (in my opinion) causes drivers to dwell longer on the clocks than is necessary.
This was an obvious conclusion to most and didn't need your comments.
AS to the rear view mirror comments - well I can think of a few places for that ....
And don't bother to ban me, I'm gone.

Administrator
Around here we don't get much chance to speed due to volume of traffic, but I tend to go by the engine sound. I have the big numbers available but don't use them. If need to I can get the satnav to nag when I am over the speed limit but that is not always correct.

Premium Member
It has been proved that a digital display is much faster to read at a glance than an analogue display.
Perhaps I am the only one here to glance at it from time to time :(

Administrator
It has been proved that a digital display is much faster to read at a glance than an analogue display.
Perhaps I am the only one here to glance at it from time to time :(
I am sure you are not, but then again we are all different. However you drive, drive responsibly, legally and with integrity.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts