Yeti Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, sorry if this is a bit long winded but I would like to be as clear as possible! I have just joined the forum as I'm at a dead loss as to where water is entering the yeti's pano roof mechanism? My father has a 2012 2.0 tdi 170 4x4 and recently noticed a fair bit of water in the drivers footwell, having removed some trim panels in the footwell and started drying it out under the carpet/underlay I decided to gain access to the drain area on the drivers side, I have discovered that the drains (all round) are clear and flowing without leaking and the drain channel above does not fill up and overflow, I have used a hose to simulate rain and have found that the water clears well and drains freely, but however have noticed the water is entering the interior from what I believe is the mechanism from around what looks like a 6-8mm clear plastic pipe that has the pipe cleaner looking thing running through it, on further inspection from above with the roof open I can see the water seams to be tracing around the rubber seal that's attached to the roof that seals the roof when shut, it seams to be quite wet and drips into the drain channel long after water was applied, I think this may be ingressing into the mechanism as I can see no other way it would get in there as it's particularly wet at the furthest front point on the drivers side, could the rubber seal around the roof opening have failed? Is it replaceable fairly easily? Any help much appreciated as I also need to fix the door loom which has just started playing up to, my fathers a pensioner and could do without the hassle to be honest so I'm attempting to resolve it as quick as possible hopefully, has anybody here had the same leak? Any help appreciated, thanks Charlie.

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
Some members have had the sunroof frame replaced as it was twisted. Ae you 100% sure the leak is from the sunroof? My wife's car (not Yeti) had water running like a small stream down the drivers A pillar, it was getting in around the windscreen collecting in the headlining and when cornering a "tidal wave" ran down the A pillar.
Have you isolated the sunroof to see if the leak stops? To do that, gaffa tape a sheet of plastic over the sunroof so it cannot leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, I'm 99% sure it's not the windscreen as I can see water drip from the mechanism (with the headliner pulled down a bit) which is above the windscreen level but I'll take a closer look at the screen area for sure, as said I have the trim removed and can see damp at the lower part of the curtain airbag behind the A pillar trim, this then appears to follow the door seal down to the footwell then I can see it drip onto the door sill which would normally be under the carpet! The only thing is I have no idea how it could enter the mech without it overflowing from the drain channel which it's not doing! Could it be tracing along the pipe cleaner looking thing fro further back as I've noticed that is wet?

·
Premium Member
2015 Elegance Greenline II
7,128 Posts
When my windscreen was replaced the fitter pointed out a section about 3" long at the top that had no sealer at all.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Carlos,

Have a look at this You tube video. This is the point, where the drain hose connects to a fitting onto the sunroof drain and this is where you may be having a leak. If you're sure it's not a cracked hose line this could be where the leak is coming from.

There are a number of You Tube videos on this problem which will be on the right of the screen on the video link which should also help with your diagnosis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOvMUKAAcJk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies, Ok, after another few hours of investigation after work I think I may have found the issue! When we bought the car the previous owner explained how he had a few problems with the roof not functioning correctly and it (the whole cartridge) had been replaced by SKODA which fixed the operation problems, this however seems to be where the leaking may have started, it looks like the new black plastic cartridge (I think I've heard it called that) has been installed up against the roof rubber seal but instead of the seal sitting over the top of the drain channel it seams to have been trapped between the cartridge and roof allowing water that is entering the sunroof to not just run into the drain channel but also seep over the top into the cabin, and as the car is usually parked with the front right slightly lower it's running along the roof seal and entering the mech at the front above the drain hole, if I push the rubber with my finger at that point a trickle of water runs down to the drain hole so is obviously accumulating at that point, what I've now done is to re seat the rubber roof seal by pulling it up slightly which pulled the trapped part out from the join, i also removed the rear glass panel and did this all the way round, the seal now sits over the top of the inner drain channel meaning no water will find its way over the top, this also had the effect of creating a better seal between the roof seal and the glass, the circled area is the part that was trapped between the roof and cartridge and now overlaps stopping water escaping (I hope).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture is taken pointing straight towards the front with the mesh pushed down, if someone could please post a comparison picture when possible I'd be very greatful, thanks all.

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
Has your father had the car very long? A dealer is responsible for any present, or present and developing fault for six month from the date of sale unless they are made known at the point of sale. If the previous owner had the sunroof replaced or repaired the fault would have been present at the point of sale.

·
Administrator
5,898 Posts
Well done for finding that. Hope that it cures the problem.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Thanks for keeping the saga updated on here. Very useful knowledge. Should my next Yeti have a sunroof. ‘�

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Henry - our Octavia had Aircon and a sunroof which seemed odd at first, but in fact it was great to have both and enjoy fresh air when it was hot. There was only one problem - after heavy rain when cornering, rain poured over either me or Mrs J from the roof control switch. Off-thread, I loved the name of the Lawyer in your show who never lost a case - Perry Masonry!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's nothing worse when it comes to a thread like this and the O,P, doesn't update with the resolution, I've still to completely dry the footwell so will not know for sure if I've found the source but will update with any progress made.

·
Premium Member
Yeti Outdoor 2017 SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
7,606 Posts
Jimmy - yep, I've had plenty of cars with sunroofs. Including the Grand Scenic that preceded the Yeti. That had a panoramic roof with all the auto close gizmos. But in fairness, it never leaked in 144,000 miles ˜³ˆ.
Just happens that none of the current ""stable""� have sunroofs. To be honest, I thought I would miss one. But don't.
Rather glad our Yeti doesn't have one in fact.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a quick update! The leak has definitely stopped and was indeed caused by the seal being trapped,
anybody who has a pano roof and has had it replaced or repaired it may be worth checking for the same issue, thanks guys!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Some members have had the sunroof frame replaced as it was twisted. Ae you 100% sure the leak is from the sunroof? My wife's car (not Yeti) had water running like a small stream down the drivers A pillar, it was getting in around the windscreen collecting in the headlining and when cornering a "tidal wave" ran down the A pillar.
Have you isolated the sunroof to see if the leak stops? To do that, gaffa tape a sheet of plastic over the sunroof so it cannot leak.
Hi I have same complaint with my car water leak in drivers side could u send me details of how u resolved the issue

·
Administrator
16,551 Posts
My wife's car which was not a Yeti and did not have a sunroof, had the windscreen replaced as it had not been correctly fitted at the factory.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply your information is greatly appreciated going sealing sunroof as other repairs to costly my fault is in frame of sunroof

1 - 20 of 25 Posts