82 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor SEL TDi150 4x4 Manual
8,128 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have got the dreaded sunroof problem as well....I bought my Yeti with some damage to the front end so didnt get a lot of choice about a sunroof! Anyway we took a look at this the other week and the rubber seal that goes all round the frame had come unstuck at the front end of the roof. Looked like someone had had a go at re-fixing it with some point with evo-stick or similar. Looking in more detail it looks like the original seal was only ever held in place by a thin strip of double sided tape! This tape and the rubber seal was positioned over some oblong holes in the plastic frame. (See photo) Why would these holes be there in the first place? Why would you double-side a rubber seal over them and ever expect it to be weatherproof? The whole design of the sunroof cassette seems to be very badly thought out. (There is another post on this site somewhere with a pdf that goes into more detail, very good info) We cleaned everything up with solvent and applied a bead of sikaflex around the front of the roof including covering the oblong holes. When the roof was closed it holds the seal exactly in place allowing time for the sikaflex to cure. This has made a massive improvement but I am still getting a tiny drip of water from somewhere. It is very slight, nothing like before. I suspect its coming through some joints in the sunroof corners but havnt had the time to check. Like I say the design of the cassette and how sections are joined together is really poor. This sunroof problem affects all VAG group cars and is shockingly bad. I will post another update when I get chance to locate where the water is still getting in. I live in Wigan so wont have long to wait until it rains!
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive side-view mirror Vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Premium Member
2017 Outdoor 2.0TDI CR(150) 4X4 Manual L and K Black Magic
82 Posts
I have got the dreaded sunroof problem as well....I bought my Yeti with some damage to the front end so didnt get a lot of choice about a sunroof! Anyway we took a look at this the other week and the rubber seal that goes all round the frame had come unstuck at the front end of the roof. Looked like someone had had a go at re-fixing it with some point with evo-stick or similar. Looking in more detail it looks like the original seal was only ever held in place by a thin strip of double sided tape! This tape and the rubber seal was positioned over some oblong holes in the plastic frame. (See photo) Why would these holes be there in the first place? Why would you double-side a rubber seal over them and ever expect it to be weatherproof? The whole design of the sunroof cassette seems to be very badly thought out. (There is another post on this site somewhere with a pdf that goes into more detail, very good info) We cleaned everything up with solvent and applied a bead of sikaflex around the front of the roof including covering the oblong holes. When the roof was closed it holds the seal exactly in place allowing time for the sikaflex to cure. This has made a massive improvement but I am still getting a tiny drip of water from somewhere. It is very slight, nothing like before. I suspect its coming through some joints in the sunroof corners but havnt had the time to check. Like I say the design of the cassette and how sections are joined together is really poor. This sunroof problem affects all VAG group cars and is shockingly bad. I will post another update when I get chance to locate where the water is still getting in. I live in Wigan so wont have long to wait until it rains!
In theory, and if the four corner drains in the sunroof tray are working properly, then my understanding is that water should not be getting anywhere near the seal that you have glued back in place nor near the holes that you have exposed beneath it. Water enters the roof structure via the small gap between the glass and the rubber seal around the hole in the roof and then should be collected within the channel visible on your photo to the left of the exposed frame. That water should be draining away long before it reaches the height of the seal that you have glued back in place. I suppose that it is possible that water could track back underneath the glass past that seal, but so far I have not seen anyone online flagging that up as an issue.

Have you checked that all four drainage points are working correctly?

Where are you observing the persistent leak?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would agree with what you say. However bonding this seal in place has dramatically improved things. It needed fixing anyway so did a proper job. The drainage pipes were the first things I checked, they were all clear with no obstruction to water flow. It looks like they have been replaced or re-sealed onto the roof at some point though. I dont use the car every day and Im busy with work/life/family at the moment but will post an update and any info/photos when I get chance......

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
My LeaK yeti has just started leaking again and it's not the drain tubes.
I'm currently abroad so can't fix it until I get back, just have to hope there is no more rain.
What I have noticed is that it failed when it got very hot on the previous occasion and again this time. Joining plastic to aluminium with glue does not seem like a good idea.
Going to try UV curing glue applied with a syringe and zapped with a 10w UV lamp.

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I'm currently abroad so can't fix it until I get back, just have to hope there is no more rain.
What I have noticed is that it failed when it got very hot on the previous occasion and again this time. Joining plastic to aluminium with glue does not seem like a good idea.
Going to try UV curing glue applied with a syringe and zapped with a 10w UV lamp.
Either the sunroof cassette to body / roof frame seal, that has gone brittle and cracked.
Or the plastic internal frame of the sunroof itself that has done likewise.
Either way - your proposed solution sounds like the best plan.

Somewhere - there's an excellent account by another LeaK owner who successfully did similar. Complete with pictures. Too tired to search for it right now though....

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts

Perhaps every LE&K should be supplied with a roll of gaffa tape to put around it for those away from home when it starts to leak.

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
Somewhere - there's an excellent account by another LeaK owner who successfully did similar. Complete with pictures. Too tired to search for it right now though....
Wakev did a write up on his repair some time ago. There are two posts in the Yetipedia

·
Premium Member
1,118 Posts
I already did the drain test with a bottle of water and they are clear, I use some 3d printer filament with a rounded end (melt it) to push through from the top which ensures nothing builds up in the tubes but did originally find the left side tube had been crushed down with a cable tie during installation in the front A pillar!.
Rears can't be checked, but water is leaking down the front.

After the previous failure I'm certain it is the aluminium profile to plastic moulding joint on the sunroof cassette.

It's difficult to get to and ideally requires the sun roof to be removed, but I will try to get some UV curing glue into the joint from above.

3rd car I've owned with a sunroof, and third one that has ultimately leaked.
Next car definately won't have one no matter how much SWMBO wants one....

·
Registered
Yeti 2017 2.0TDi 4x4 L&K DSG
852 Posts
If I owned a Yeti with a sunroof I think I would get a roll or two of this from Lidl this coming Sunday (19th June) It states it is waterproof
It's best to use 3M Helicopter type tape rather than Gaffer or Sealant tape. The adhesive in some of the industrial type tapes can permanently damage paintwork and seals.

Reactions: Urrell

·
Administrator
17,158 Posts
Choki is abroad so probably unable to get helicopter tape but I bet he can find gaffa tape for a temporary fix. Gaffa tape has so many uses everyone should carry some, seals leaky sunroofs if you are away on holiday, silences noisy passengers, and is a self-contained first aid kit, seals wounds, make a good sling and enables you to use a rubber or carpet car mat as a splint and lots more.

To find out what gaffa tape can really do you need to go on one of these, our 4x4R course is a revelation.

Product Font Rectangle Circle Crest

·
Premium Member
8,128 Posts
I always thought it was called “gaffer tape”? As in The Boss. Perhaps that’s only if you’re cockney?

Reactions: bryetian

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Put super glue on my old Yeti, but I still think the main advantage came from removing 3inches from either side of the fly screen, the drainage was very restricted in the area of that joint and I think caused the water to sit there and run under the joint, look in my posts. The Hood put a link in post #32

21 - 38 of 38 Posts